Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 5/24/2003 6:48:19 AM EDT
Hey guys, I hope this is not a dumb question. If so, I appoligize.

I have 2-30 round mags that came with a previous gun that I sent back 2 times and finally got a Bushmaster. Anyway, they are the plastic ones that I have seen at local gun shop for sale. I also have 2-30 round mags that are stamped L.E. and Military only which I will not say where I got those but I have them.

What is the difference of having the two plastic 30's and having the 2 L.E. 30's??

If they were to be found by L.E. Officer what would happen? Anything.

A friend of mine who is in Law Enforcement said that he knows an ATF agent and was talking about telescoping stocks on a postban rifle and said that they have more to be worried about than who has what on the rifle. Legal or Illegal.

Just need to know, what is the difference in what the manufacturers are sending with their rifle and what I picked up from somewhere else.

Thanks
Link Posted: 5/24/2003 9:00:55 AM EDT
[#1]
The L.E./Military only mags are illegal for anyone but law enforcement, military, and FFL holders to posses. While the chances of getting caught are slim, it's not worth the chance in my opinion. I ended up with a couple a while back and gave them to my FFL friend.
Link Posted: 5/24/2003 3:42:52 PM EDT
[#2]
It is known that LE people read these boards.
They also know that a John Cox in North Carolina is in illegal possession of LE only magazines.
While Mr. Cox is maybe too small of a fish to fry (or do they want an example to help pass the new AWB?  Midnight raid, anyone?) the *dealer* (or cop) that Mr. Cox may lead them to is not.
It would be to this person's advantage to not have any contraband (anything, dude) in the house for the next little while.  Ditch them, preferably by destroying them.  Got any weed around?  Lose it.
You have given probable cause for a search, right here.  They *can* find more information really easily about Mr. Cox; the Internet trail leads right back to his house.

Bad mistake, now learn what BOHICA means.  I hope no-one noticed.
Link Posted: 5/24/2003 4:24:13 PM EDT
[#3]
The most common "plastic" mags would be either the Thermold (both Canadian and American versions) and Orilites (Israeli made).  There are numerous posts about the Thermolds and Orilites. For the most part, most of us here would tell you to skip them and stick with USGI mags.

The LEO/Gov't use only mags are post ban high capacity mags.  This means they are magazines that hols more than the allowed 10 rounds of the 1994 Bill.  They are to be had by and used by ONLY Law enforcement officers and Military personnel.  Having these mags is against federal law and can land you heavy fines and/or jail time.

Yes, the BATF may have larger things on their minds at the moment, but just like not having a seat belt on when getting a traffic ticket, may be added charges that may end up digging a bigger hole than you ever imagined.  For instance, say you did get a traffic ticket and had a magazine floating around your car, or you just stopped off real quick to grab a drink on your way to the range, and you have a magazine in plain view in the back of your SUV.  A somewhat ordinary ticket now leads to Federal charges.  Yes, while it may be a stretch, it is possible.  The Son Of Sam was suposedly caught by a parking ticket, after all.
Link Posted: 5/24/2003 5:14:09 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the info guys. After reading Ohio's post I took them to the local dealer and handed them off. Like someone said, rather be safe than sorry.

Vinnie, thank you for the other info as well.

Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top