Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 2/27/2016 2:35:55 PM EDT
I am looking to purchase a vortex strike eagle but I am not sure which mount to get. I was going to go with the  vortex cantilever mount as I don't think I will be removing the scope from my riffle but I am unsure if I need the 2 or 3 inch version.
Link Posted: 2/27/2016 4:57:51 PM EDT
[#1]
How is your cheek weld do you prefer nose to charging handle?
Link Posted: 2/27/2016 8:33:15 PM EDT
[#2]
I like my stock in the second position. Nose a little off the charging handle.
Link Posted: 2/27/2016 11:09:26 PM EDT
[#3]
You could get the 3" mount and then always move it back on the rail if you have to
Link Posted: 2/27/2016 11:54:39 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I like my stock in the second position. Nose a little off the charging handle.
View Quote

Two inch should work.
Link Posted: 2/28/2016 12:02:14 AM EDT
[#5]
Get the 3" if in doubt.  You can always move it back.

Buddy of mine is 6'2" and likes his stock all the way out.

With the 3" offset he moves his back a bit:

However, if you run up close NTCH, the 2" will work fine.

If you plan to run a BUIS, get the 2" offset because moving it back wont have the real estate.
Link Posted: 2/28/2016 12:26:15 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

http://s26.postimg.org/f0iz7rxbt/screenshot_156.jpg

If you plan to run a BUIS, get the 2" offset because moving it back wont have the real estate.
View Quote

With the picture you showed here, and the almost NTCH OP is looking for it would appear as though if the optic were moved forward on the rail there would be enough space for a BUIS.
Link Posted: 2/28/2016 11:41:24 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

With the picture you showed here, and the almost NTCH OP is looking for it would appear as though if the optic were moved forward on the rail there would be enough space for a BUIS.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://s26.postimg.org/f0iz7rxbt/screenshot_156.jpg

Yes, as long as you are truly NTCH.

Here is the placement of the eyepiece for a similar scope which I use, in which I use a NTCH:

What I find is that if shooters aren't truly practiced in NTCH, they have a natural tendency to keep their head farther back than they really should.  In those cases, they'd be more comfortable with the 2" offset.  If they will learn to get their face forward where it was designed to be with this rifle and optic, then the 3" offset will serve them better.

The guy who owns the rifle in my picture in the other post is a newbie and doesn't shoot NTCH (yet)  I'm working on him.
Link Posted: 2/28/2016 1:54:12 PM EDT
[#8]
I apologize for my redunancy but just to clarify you are saying that if the mount was moved forward enough to fit a BUIS the eye relief and mount design would allow for a NTCH hold only?
Link Posted: 2/28/2016 2:34:41 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I apologize for my redunancy but just to clarify you are saying that if the mount was moved forward enough to fit a BUIS the eye relief and mount design would allow for a NTCH hold only?
View Quote

Yes - that is my opinion, with a 3" offset vortex mount.  In the fully forward position, the eyepiece is optimized for NTCH hold.
Link Posted: 2/28/2016 9:50:52 PM EDT
[#10]
Thanks for the help everyone. I decided to go with the 3 inch offset. Quick question about buis?  Can you see them through the scope or is that only useful with a qd mount?
Link Posted: 2/28/2016 10:03:49 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Thanks for the help everyone. I decided to go with the 3 inch offset. Quick question about buis?  Can you see them through the scope or is that only useful with a qd mount?
View Quote

QD required for any realistic level of usefulness.... in a SHTF fantasy zombie attack where you are also falling down mountains like Mark Wahlberg.
Link Posted: 2/29/2016 12:29:33 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

QD required for any realistic level of usefulness.... in a SHTF fantasy zombie attack where you are also falling down mountains like Mark Wahlberg.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Lol going to disagree with this, especially if you're using Chinese optics and the rifle will be a HD gun.
Link Posted: 2/29/2016 1:14:54 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Lol going to disagree with this, especially if you're using Chinese optics and the rifle will be a HD gun.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

So in the middle of a home defense firefight, you are going to bust out an Allen wrench or a socket set to remove the primary scope so you can actually USE a BUIS????

Please, tell me more.
Link Posted: 2/29/2016 6:08:29 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

You cannot use them through the optic.
Link Posted: 2/29/2016 2:38:02 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

So in the middle of a home defense firefight, you are going to bust out an Allen wrench or a socket set to remove the primary scope so you can actually USE a BUIS????

Please, tell me more.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Please, tell me more.

No what I was referring to is having a QD mount for that, though thumb screws and the normal bolts would work too. Or taking off the optic when you get home from the range so you don't have to rely upon a Chinese scope. Or have two different rifles or have two uppers.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top