Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/19/2004 7:03:14 PM EDT
Haven't been on the board in ages, so hopefully this isn't a repost (I searched and found nothing).  Does anyone have any experience with the AR style 223 WSSM?  So far, I've found that only Olympic makes the AR version.  Other options look like Browning or Winchester A-bolt designs.  

Any experience, thoughts, suggestions?  I really like the look of the Olympic PCR8Mag in 223 WSSM, but I only have owned Bushmasters, and I'm aware that a few folks have had problems with the Olympic products.  Thanks!!
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 10:46:58 PM EDT
[#1]
My only comment would be on the round itself.  It's been quite some time since I took a look at it's ballistics, but IIRC, the .223 WSSM was a real barrel burner.  Might be something to consider.  

For me, it's more the peace of mind knowing my barrel will be around for thousands of rounds... As opposed to cringing everytime I pull the trigger knowing that I just shot 1/2000 of the barrel out.  

That's just my opinion.  However, this is also my reason for not being into .22-250 either.  .223 does everything I need it to do.  Not saying something different would not be fun, but from a practicality side....

Gundraw

Link Posted: 9/19/2004 10:50:13 PM EDT
[#2]
Expect the fastest commercial .22 cartridge, and a 500 round barrel life. more in the bolt guns, their bores are chromed.
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 9:55:15 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Expect the fastest commercial .22 cartridge, and a 500 round barrel life. more in the bolt guns, their bores are chromed.

Allow me to change.

As opposed to cringing everytime I pull the trigger knowing that I just shot 1/500 of the barrel out.

I really had no idea it was THAT bad.  500 rnds!!!  Looking at the ballistics I see it's moving around 3800 w/55gr.  That is pretty fast!  Is it after 3600 fps that barrel wear dramatically increases?  Someone told me one time and I cannot remember.

The ONLY WSM or WSSM that struck my interest was the .243 WSSM.  You can put a 90gr+ and get very decent velocities, around 3100fps, and then, if you wanna stick a .55gr in, you get a blazing 4100fps.  And of course there is everywhere in between.

Gundraw
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 10:32:59 AM EDT
[#4]
Hmmm, didn't actually hear about the barrel wear issue before, but it kinda makes sense.  However, I won't be pumping out large amounts of ammo in any given time, either (except the 2-3 times a year when I can make a prairie dog stalking trip).  Where did yall get that data from, if you don't mind?

I was actually strongly considering the 243 as well.  You're right.  It can really make a 100 gr bullet move fastt!!

So if y'all you had to choose between the bolt action Browning or the semi-auto (6rd capacity) Olympic arms, which would it be?   Thanks!!!

Ben
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 1:09:50 PM EDT
[#5]
I think Browning still builds a good, quality gun, but I personally don't own one.  They always seemed a little overpriced to me.  However, last time I was shopping for a bolt gun wasn't for a varmint rig, so things could be different in that department.

If you are looking to shoot prarie dogs, I've found just plain tried and true .223 is a TOUGH round to beat!  Fast, accurate, cheap, and fun.  Just my $.02

That would be a tough call between the Browning or the Olympic.  It'd really depend on what you wanna use it for.  Have you decided on a caliber?  That would probably make as big a difference to me as well.

Tell us what you plan on doing with it.

Gundraw
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 5:32:29 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for the reply.  I just spoke with my uncle who apparently bought the 243 wssm browning last year, and I didn't know.  He LOVES it, and actually took a white tail with it last year.

With that in mind, I've definitely decided on the 243, since I could take varmints and smaller game.  I just have to decide on semi-auto or bolt.  The like the semi-auto for varmint shooting applications, but that's the only reason at this point I wouldn't go with the browning.

I figure I'm gonna go with either a 4.5-14 or 6.5-20 leupold or nikon scope and harris ultralight bipod.
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 8:34:57 AM EDT
[#7]
I have the .243 WSSM for the long range varmint.  I thought it through and decided that my .223 Rem. would take care of the varmints out to the usable range of a .224 bullet.  Any further than that I figured the .243 WSSM would shine.  After getting the upper I'm real glad I made that choice.  I had it our west hunting this fall and it worked great!

I've got .220 Swifts and .22-250s but when you want to get out past the 1/4 mile mark, you're better off stepping up to the .243 or bigger rather than trying to push the .224 faster.

Just my .02
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 9:53:01 AM EDT
[#8]
How accurate have you found this round to be Mardwell?  Like I said, I've really been considering one of these puppies in a bolt gun... but, I just haven't gotten much feedback from anyone about them.  I thought they really would be a great "Past .223, before largebore" intermediate round.  

Gundraw
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 10:43:06 AM EDT
[#9]
I've done a fair amount of loading for the .243 WSSM in the 80-90 grain class.  The 88 grain Bergers are in the .300 class.  Just one large hole.  I did some lighter Bergers (68 grain) that I also got great groups with but after thinking about it I decided that the 88 grain would be better at the longer range and be easier on the barrel.  ( I had some loads with the 68 grain Berger that were over 3900 FPS, but not good accuracy)  The 85 grain Nosler partitions are doning about .5 or less.  I didn't spend a lot of time on load deveopment for the partitions because of the cost and the fact that a long shot for me on whitetail would be 250 yards.

I had a guy from Minnesota flute my barrel.  That has been a good investment.  Made the gun a lot lighter and cools much quicker while out prairie dog hunting.
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 6:51:14 PM EDT
[#10]
WOW, those sound like great results!  So accuracy can definitely be had then.  I've really been considering one of those Savage 112BVSS in the caliber... if/when they ever get with the program and add that caliber.  I was originally gonna do the .243, but decided there could be some real advantages to this WSSM, and can't say the same about all the short mags though.

Thanks for the input,

Gundraw
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 6:10:31 PM EDT
[#11]
I recently got an AR upper in .243 WSSM from Dedicated Technologies (Bemidji, MN). Here's my first 200 yd target.

And here's a pic of the WSSM upper on my Bushmaster lower.

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top