Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/9/2004 12:46:05 AM EDT
What are the advantages and disadvantages each tube diameter offers?  Being that 30mm tubes are larger than 1" tubes, my uneducated speculation leads me to believe 30mm may offer better light gathering abilities and perhaps a larger field of view at a given range through a given magnification.  The fact that 30mm scopes seem to cost more also leads me to believe they must exhibit some advantage over their 1" counterparts.  Can anyone educate me on this matter?

Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 6:19:02 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 7:45:51 AM EDT
[#2]
A larger tube does not give more light gathering that helps the eye, as the eye can only absorb to a certain point. A larger field of view is not not more light gathering, but a 30mm tube is usually also more rugged than a 1".
Jack
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 10:11:00 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
More elevation and windage travel.

What he said.  I have a 1" tube Leupold that I love, but I ran out of elevation between 800 and 900 yards when shooting my Remington .308 PSS.  I upgraded to a 30mm tube and now I'm dialing out to 1000 yards.

It's a beautiful thing.
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 10:16:40 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I upgraded to a 30mm tube and now I'm dialing out to 1000 yards.

It's a beautiful thing.

It's always been my understanding that "proper" scope setup would include shimming either the front or rear ring mount (as required) to achieve elevation adjustments that are as close to "centered" as possible within the scope.  In other words, it's bad practice to adjust a scope to the far ranges of adjustments - windage or elevation.

Does this theory not hold true any longer?
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 2:04:27 PM EDT
[#5]
I'll be honest, I didn't quite follow your question.  Not that it was a bad question, it just went over my pointy little head.  

Here's what I can tell you: the installation of my 30mm Leupold scope required no shimming: I replaced the old rings with 30mm rings, clamped it in properly and zeroed it.  That was it.

I'm sorry if this doesn't answer your question.  

Link Posted: 10/9/2004 6:59:37 PM EDT
[#6]
30mm = much stronger and more adjustment range
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top