Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 6/3/2008 6:22:37 PM EDT
i tried the dms-1 and didnt like it. the dot was not able to be seen in the day light, and it had a serious fish eye effect. any other 1-4 optics i should look at, preferebly less than $500? i want illumination too, so i can set it at 1x and shoot it like a red dot. thanks for the help.
adam
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 6:41:15 PM EDT
[#1]
The Trijicon Accupoint is REALLY nice.
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 6:57:59 PM EDT
[#2]
leupold vxiii with illumination.  prob gonna be a hair over youre price range though.  and i think it is 1.5-5 if i remember correctly
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 7:09:21 PM EDT
[#3]
You can try these...

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=183610

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=826345
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 7:25:21 PM EDT
[#4]
My vote goes with the Trijicon Accupoint 1.25-4x as IMO this is the best bang for the buck in a low power variable with illumination. The best part is that they run on either available light which is adjustable to a degree or by tritium-NO batteries. There is a slight bubble effect around the edges of the FOV at 1.25x but not enough to bother me, everyone has an opinion about this so you may not like this scope for that reason as well. I have not seen one in person but there has been much posted about the Meopta K-dot 1-4x scope in regards to being ideal for tactical use. Apparently the illumination in the Meopta is daylight visible and the optics are supposed to be excellent. The Accupoint can be had for around $500 or so and the K-dot is usually about $750. I have learned that you do get what you pay for in optical gunsights, less expensive scopes do not perform as well as the ones that are more money. You can get by with a $100 scope but you will be wanting something more in the performance- optical quality/features etc.
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 7:43:24 PM EDT
[#5]
Burris XTR 1X4!
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 12:21:18 AM EDT
[#6]
Any 1-4X optic will have that same fish eye effect at 1X to some extent.  The Meopta is a little less pronounced in the middle and possibly a bit steeper on the edges.  I find it better overall in the fisheye department.  The Meopta has daytime illumination.  No 1-4X with daytime illuminaiton is less expensive than the Meopta.
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 8:08:36 AM EDT
[#7]
Meopta bar none.  I've gone through them all and the K Dot is the answer if you want a 1=4 with a visable red dot.  See Mike at CS Gunworks for a smoking deal.  Ypu'll never change this optic.

Link Posted: 6/4/2008 8:36:59 AM EDT
[#8]
How about the Leupold CQB thing.  Seems like it is a 1-4, maybe just 1-3.  
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 8:44:06 AM EDT
[#9]
I went through this questioning 2 months ago when i wanted to replace an Aimpoint on my M-4.  I've reached a point where I need an optic for a shot over 100 meters but want a constantly visable red dot.  Only the K Dot gives that at this point.  The others require a J Point or Doctor optic added to the outsode of the 1-4.  
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 9:39:17 AM EDT
[#10]
If you are looking for something that costs about the same as the Millet, then I would try the Nikko Stirling:
www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=350378&t=11082005
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 10:56:11 AM EDT
[#11]
The KDot has excellent glass but it's the battery life that concerns me. Only 80 hours?
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 11:36:07 AM EDT
[#12]
I keep an emergency batt in the grip.  But, the K Dot has a feature that allows you to turn off the red dot with one click.  You can then use standard reticle for plinking or anything in outside.  One click and the red dot is back on if you need it indoors.  
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 5:19:29 PM EDT
[#13]
That's a good idea and I'm glad to hear that it's working out for you. I just wish that they'd up the battery life a bit.. at least to EOTech levels - 1000s of hours.  Having fondled a Trijicon Accupoint a bit, the fiber optic and tritium is an ideal solution but I thought the glass quality was surprisingly lacking.  Especially at 1.25x, it looks weird.

Any news of the Meopta making it out to field units yet?
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 5:21:31 PM EDT
[#14]

The Meopta has daytime illumination.  No 1-4X with daytime illuminaiton is less expensive than the Meopta.

The Burris 1x4 XTR is visable in most daylight scenero's and is not too bright at night like I have heard some reply the Meopta is. It also has marks in Mils on top and sides with bullet drop marks at the bottom with the 100Yd dot being 1" at 100 and the two hundred yard dot is 1/2" and the Meopta has no BDC and cost more than the Burris!
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 11:45:20 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
The KDot has excellent glass but it's the battery life that concerns me. Only 80 hours?

The 80 hours is conservative IMO... its longer than that but not Aimpoint bright anymore.  This is a traditionally illuminated magnified optic... 80 hours is GREAT!  The S&B Short Dot is 100 hours.  Someone mentioned 1000 hours like an EOtech?  Not with current technology.
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 6:40:39 AM EDT
[#16]
SuperSet, you thought the Accupoint glass quality was lacking I think its extremely good quality glass. The clarity is that of a $1500 scope.  What didnt you like about it?
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 8:11:51 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
SuperSet, you thought the Accupoint glass quality was lacking I think its extremely good quality glass. The clarity is that of a $1500 scope.  What didnt you like about it?

Yeah, at the lowest magnification, it looks strange. The only way I can describe it is if I'm looking through my fish tank at a target. There's some wobbliness there.  When I look through the Meopta, it's clear.
If Meopta met the Accupoint, that would really be the ultimate 1-4x optic.  True 1X with fiber optic illumination.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top