Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 12/28/2003 6:40:55 PM EDT
I hope Im not putting this in the wrong board, but why do some of you think that the ban will sunset?  I hop it does also, but I dont think it will. Just asking if I am missing some info here. Thanks
Link Posted: 12/28/2003 6:49:40 PM EDT
[#1]
AFAIK, the ban is guaranteed to sunset--it has a built in expiration date of 10 years.  

However, there are two AW bills in congress right now that may or may not get voted on: one is a more strict version and another one is an exact reproduction of the first.
Link Posted: 12/28/2003 7:26:10 PM EDT
[#2]
Ar_mcadams, let me ask [i]you[/i] a question... What are YOU doing to ensure that when the current ban expires, it stays dead???
Link Posted: 12/28/2003 8:25:12 PM EDT
[#3]
I wrote to both of my Senators, who guaranteed me that they would do their utmost to protect my gun rights.
Link Posted: 12/28/2003 8:40:30 PM EDT
[#4]
The only people that can answer your question for are your elected officials in Washington DC.

I have it in writing from my senators and congressmen that they will support my 2nd amendment rights under the constitution and will NEVER vote another ban into place.
Link Posted: 12/28/2003 9:59:05 PM EDT
[#5]
I wish I could only just believe that my senatorial reps were as supportive, but I know better. Washington State has a few pro-2nd reps at the state level, but the senators (Patty Murray, MAria Cantwell) are anti's. Murray recently made some serious factual gaffs in a speech at a local H.S., and when called on them, avoided responding to the questions & played the "victim" instead, complaining that her free speech was being "censored". Senate-wise, it's a waste of paper.

On the congressional front, however, it might be a little better. The House is where the real fight actually is best-waged, since it's fairly well known that the Senate is a virtual rubber stamp, while we have a fighting chance in the House.
Link Posted: 12/29/2003 7:57:59 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I wrote to both of my Senators, who guaranteed me that they would do their utmost to protect my gun rights.
View Quote

If they guarenteed you that they will do their utmost to protect your gun rights, and didn't specifically say they would resaist any attempts to re impose the current bill, they're probably fixing to screw you next year.

I have no specific knowledge of the past votes or expresssions of either one of your Senators, but past (bitter) experience with politicians tells me that general statements, without specific committments don't mean squat when push comes to shove.

If they didn't specifically commit to fighting any reimposition of the ban, write them again, and tell them that unless and until they do make such a commitment, you will consider them
to be on the side of the gun grabbers, and seek out opposition to them when the next election come around.
Link Posted: 12/29/2003 9:34:04 AM EDT
[#7]
Lead, follow, or get out of the way folks...

[url=www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=203989]The Essential "End the AW Ban" Contact List & Sample Letter Thread[/url]

Don't leave this fight up to chance... PARTICIPATE!!!

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top