Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/31/2004 8:27:09 PM EDT
Thinking about purchasing an 18inch Varmint Rifle from RRA is that a good choice.  If it is a good choice can anyone suggest any think extra i should get.  Like muzzle break, carry handle, etc, etc,etc,.  Keep in mind this will be purchased after the ban.  Thanking anyone in advance, Junkman.
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 3:53:01 AM EDT
[#1]
I've been looking at a RRA 18" setup too.
I got to do some looking at the gunshow this last weekend and got to paw a few uppers.
I think I want the Hogue free float tube.
I was going for an EOtech sight and do the BUIS thing, so no carry handle for me.
Your decision might be different than mine depending on what you want to do with it.
I don't  think you wil be able to find a muzzle brake/flash suppessor to fit the bull barrel, but I could be mistaken.
I was going to leave mine bare.
Hope this helps you out.
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 4:10:16 AM EDT
[#2]
Excellent Choice.. just sold an EOP 18" Varmint rifle to a Customer a couple of weeks ago.

Very nice rifle.. the fit of upper and lower receiver was perfect.. absolutely no play whatsoever.
Hogue Grip and factory 2-Stage Trigger, topped w/ Leupold 4.5x14x50mm VariX III.  Harris Bi-Pod added as rifle is quite heavy.

Customer has reported consistent sub-1 MOA at 100+ yds with variety of factory ammunition.

One note, long leadtime/wait on this model from RRA.. hopefully you can find a dealer with one in stock.

Bravo5-2
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 4:18:10 AM EDT
[#3]
I have an 18" RRA Varminter and that mofo is HEAVY.  I had a brake put on, even though it didn't need it. ( I was going through a phase.)

If I were to get another one, I'd have Steve/ADCO turn the barrel down a little to get rid of some of the weight, and maybe get a Vortex installed.

Skip the carry handle and put some good glass on there.

CHRIS
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 5:55:46 AM EDT
[#4]
After ordering my 24" RRA varmint rig in April I finally got it in mid August. The wait as far as I can tell is/was for the EOP style uppers. I held out for the EOP instead of going for the flattop version and I think it was well worth the wait.  Mounted my scope in low rings with plenty of clearance and relief.

Am I satisfied with the rifle?... Ummmmm yea, it would be really hard not to be. Fit and finish were top notch with absolutely no play between the upper and the lower. The rifle shoots sub-MOA groups with just about anything that I've thrown at it. It weighs in at just over 10lbs which is a few pounds heavier then the NEF rifle I have been using for my general varminting, but compared to some of the other rifles I've packed around in the past, this one still feels fairly light to me.

Mudruck
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 7:08:13 AM EDT
[#5]

I got a RRA 18incher, love it! It is really heavy though! I would recommend getting the normal flattop, not the EOP, and no carry handle. These things are meant to have a scope on it, so no carry handle is needed and the EOP will place the scope to high for a comfortable check weld IMHO.
Now since the barrel is so large no muzzle break / flash hider comes on it, and i think it would look really goofy putting one on it since they would be smaller than the barrel.

I got mine from steve at ADCO, check out his page, he might have some in stock, he seems to have ones in stock when nobody else has em!
www.adcofirearms.com

another good place to check is Pete at legal transfers, he also has RRA stuff when no one else seems to. www.ar15sales.com/

I have order from both, both are top notch!
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 7:12:36 AM EDT
[#6]
just checked steve at ADCO's site, it looks like he has both 20 and 24 inch models in, if you dont want to wait he'll probably cut the 20 inch model down for you.
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 9:56:54 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 6:28:12 PM EDT
[#8]
Hello, I've been thinking seriously about getting one of these, but i can't decide on barrel length.  i like the looks of the 16 and 18, but is it wotth going to 20 for more accuracy?  Thanks.
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 10:14:00 AM EDT
[#9]
  The 20" will give you more velocity not nessisarily better accuracy.  You may have better accuracy at a further range if that makes sense.  The 18"  has a midlength gas system while the 20" has the rifle length.  I used to have the 20" and i didnt think it was too bad weight wise but then again i wasnt hiking along with it or shooting offhand.    
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top