Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 5/22/2003 6:08:03 PM EDT
This is my first AR15 and I'm looking for ammo.

What is the best grain size and why for a 16 inch, 6 groove, 1x9 twist barrel?  The common sizes seem to be 62grn and 55grn.  

Link Posted: 5/22/2003 9:21:21 PM EDT
[#1]
Read the Ammo FAQ above.  The consensus seems to be M193 55 grain FMJ ammo is the best general purpose round.  I personally like both M193 and the M855 and/or SS109 ammo.  
Link Posted: 5/24/2003 5:06:29 AM EDT
[#2]
I agree that the mil-spec 55-gr ammo is the best all around stuff, especially for a 14.5-to-16 inch barrel AR15. I would rate Win Q3131A, Lake City XM193 and the South African M1A3 surplus as my personal favorites. The 55-gr gets maximum velocity and frag potential in the short barrels, still netting 2700fps+ past 100-yards to ensure fragmentation of the bullet and max wound potential. The heavier 62-gr bullets will quickly fall to less than 2700 fps after leaving the barrel and will perform a thru-and-thru in one piece, not dumping their full energy into the target. Read this site's excellent ammo FAQ to get more info.
Tight Groups,
phoenix 27
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top