Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/27/2011 11:57:20 PM EDT
Decided on a 14.5" midlength as my next build, and I cannot decide how I want to make it a legal length. I have a Gemtech 5.56 suppressor that uses a QD bi-lock mount which complicates the matter.

Options:

Permanently attach a BattleComp 1.5 - $200

Pros: Good recoil reduction, minimum overall length, configuration available from Bravo Company

Cons: Price, not compatible with my suppressor

Permanently attach a PWS FSC556 Bi-Lock mount - $80

Pros: Good recoil reduction, I already have one I can use, suppressor compatible

Cons: Longer overall length (it's .75" longer than a BC 1.5), not available from Bravo Company, $80 to have ADCO attach it

Permanently attach Gemtech Bi-lock mount - $80

Pros: Minimum overall length, I already have one I can use, suppressor compatible

Cons: No recoil reduction, not available from Bravo Company, $80 to have ADCO attach it

SBR the lower - $200 plus muzzle device

Pros: Don't have to permanently attach anything

Cons: Cost, Title II restrictions, NFA hassle for the same overall length as the Title I configuration

FWIW, I already have the following ARs:

LMT 10.5" SBR w/ Bi-Lock suppressor mount

Noveske 16" midlength w/ FSC556 suppressor mount (LE patrol rifle)

Daniel Defense 16" M4 (backup LE patrol rifle)

Colt 20" A2

Mega 18" race gun

I have an extra Gemtech Bi-Lock suppressor mount that's not being used, but I'd have to take the FSC556 suppressor mount off my Noveske 16" midlength if (or buy a new one) if I decided to permanently attach it to the 14.5" midlength.
Link Posted: 1/28/2011 1:37:37 AM EDT
[#1]
Sounds like you answered your own question to me:  bi-lock since you already have the can.

I was getting ready to post:  if you are ever going to get a can, you need to decide on which one first before you perm a FH/mount.
Link Posted: 1/28/2011 2:09:14 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Sounds like you answered your own question to me:  bi-lock since you already have the can.

I was getting ready to post:  if you are ever going to get a can, you need to decide on which one first before you perm a FH/mount.

Regular Bi-Lock or FSC556 Bi-Lock?

I like the extra muzzle control the FSC556 gives you, but it's almost an inch longer than the standard Bi-Lock.

Link Posted: 1/28/2011 4:38:20 AM EDT
[#3]
I have the battlecomp on my 14.5" mid-length and it is amazing.
Link Posted: 1/28/2011 4:43:36 AM EDT
[#4]
Definitely NO on the PWS in any way shape or form.  I just got done cutting mine off.

I get to shoot my 14.5 middy with that loud arse brake off the gun tonight for the first time!
Link Posted: 1/28/2011 4:46:27 AM EDT
[#5]
For me you only have 2 options.  Either way you need to install the Gemtech Bi-lock, so.......

1 - Permanently attach the bi-lock (cheapest)
2 - SBR the lower and just screw on the bi-lock (smartest)

Getting the lower SBR'd is the best option.  Then you can do whatever you want for shorter
uppers in the future.  I have gone that route....twice.  I have 2 SBR lowers and now I can shorty
uppers and long uppers in whatever configuration I want in my safe.  

When you have an SBR and a suppressor or two, your options grow at an exponential rate.

Link Posted: 1/28/2011 6:07:34 AM EDT
[#6]
If you are willing to spend the coin on a permed Battlecomp, I'd SBR it instead.  I didn't SBR my 14.5" middy, but I have another SBR, no can, and only permed a Phantom so that's just a $20 FH (and the pin/weld was free with the upper).
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 2:19:42 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

For me you only have 2 options.  Either way you need to install the Gemtech Bi-lock, so.......

1 - Permanently attach the bi-lock (cheapest)

2 - SBR the lower and just screw on the bi-lock (smartest)

Getting the lower SBR'd is the best option.  Then you can do whatever you want for shorter

uppers in the future.  I have gone that route....twice.  I have 2 SBR lowers and now I can shorty

uppers and long uppers in whatever configuration I want in my safe.  

When you have an SBR and a suppressor or two, your options grow at an exponential rate.

Regular bi-lock or FSC556 bi-lock?

I know what you mean about NFA growth. I currently have an SBR, 5.56mm suppressor, 9mm suppressor, and full auto M11/9.

Link Posted: 1/31/2011 2:20:48 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Definitely NO on the PWS in any way shape or form.  I just got done cutting mine off.

I get to shoot my 14.5 middy with that loud arse brake off the gun tonight for the first time!

Have you compared the PWS brake on your 14.5" against a 16" barrel? I have one on my 16" midlength, and it's not a big deal.

Link Posted: 1/31/2011 3:30:23 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Decided on a 14.5" midlength as my next build, and I cannot decide how I want to make it a legal length. I have a Gemtech 5.56 suppressor that uses a QD bi-lock mount which complicates the matter.

Options:

Permanently attach a BattleComp 1.5 - $200
Pros: Good recoil reduction, minimum overall length, configuration available from Bravo Company
Cons: Price, not compatible with my suppressor

Permanently attach a PWS FSC556 Bi-Lock mount - $80
Pros: Good recoil reduction, I already have one I can use, suppressor compatible
Cons: Longer overall length (it's .75" longer than a BC 1.5), not available from Bravo Company, $80 to have ADCO attach it

I think these are available with the BCM 14.5 midlength. Same as the PWS SM556 they have listed as an option?

Link Posted: 1/31/2011 5:30:13 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Have you compared the PWS brake on your 14.5" against a 16" barrel? I have one on my 16" midlength, and it's not a big deal.

No.  Just my 14.5.  I know some guys like the PWS.. even on fighting guns.  But it was the first brake I ever used since my shooting is more rooted in the "tactical" realm.

The PWS works great as a brake, but I always had to walk 10 yards down the firing line so the other shooters and family wouldn't get pissed at me when I shot.

Link Posted: 1/31/2011 8:26:44 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I think these are available with the BCM 14.5 midlength. Same as the PWS SM556 they have listed as an option?

The SM556 that Bravo offers is for a different suppressor.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 8:32:02 AM EDT
[#12]
SBR it.  And get something that will work with your can.

BTW, go F yourself
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top