Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 1/27/2011 11:57:20 PM EDT
Decided on a 14.5" midlength as my next build, and I cannot decide how I want to make it a legal length. I have a Gemtech 5.56 suppressor that uses a QD bi-lock mount which complicates the matter.

Options:

Permanently attach a BattleComp 1.5 - $200
Pros: Good recoil reduction, minimum overall length, configuration available from Bravo Company
Cons: Price, not compatible with my suppressor

Permanently attach a PWS FSC556 Bi-Lock mount - $80
Pros: Good recoil reduction, I already have one I can use, suppressor compatible
Cons: Longer overall length (it's .75" longer than a BC 1.5), not available from Bravo Company, $80 to have ADCO attach it

Permanently attach Gemtech Bi-lock mount - $80
Pros: Minimum overall length, I already have one I can use, suppressor compatible
Cons: No recoil reduction, not available from Bravo Company, $80 to have ADCO attach it

SBR the lower - $200 plus muzzle device
Pros: Don't have to permanently attach anything
Cons: Cost, Title II restrictions, NFA hassle for the same overall length as the Title I configuration

FWIW, I already have the following ARs:

LMT 10.5" SBR w/ Bi-Lock suppressor mount
Noveske 16" midlength w/ FSC556 suppressor mount (LE patrol rifle)
Daniel Defense 16" M4 (backup LE patrol rifle)
Colt 20" A2
Mega 18" race gun

I have an extra Gemtech Bi-Lock suppressor mount that's not being used, but I'd have to take the FSC556 suppressor mount off my Noveske 16" midlength if (or buy a new one) if I decided to permanently attach it to the 14.5" midlength.
Link Posted: 1/28/2011 1:37:37 AM EDT
Sounds like you answered your own question to me: bi-lock since you already have the can.

I was getting ready to post: if you are ever going to get a can, you need to decide on which one first before you perm a FH/mount.
Link Posted: 1/28/2011 2:09:14 AM EDT

Originally Posted By KILLERB6:
Sounds like you answered your own question to me: bi-lock since you already have the can.

I was getting ready to post: if you are ever going to get a can, you need to decide on which one first before you perm a FH/mount.

Regular Bi-Lock or FSC556 Bi-Lock?

I like the extra muzzle control the FSC556 gives you, but it's almost an inch longer than the standard Bi-Lock.
Link Posted: 1/28/2011 4:38:20 AM EDT
I have the battlecomp on my 14.5" mid-length and it is amazing.
Link Posted: 1/28/2011 4:43:36 AM EDT
Definitely NO on the PWS in any way shape or form. I just got done cutting mine off.

I get to shoot my 14.5 middy with that loud arse brake off the gun tonight for the first time!
Link Posted: 1/28/2011 4:46:27 AM EDT
For me you only have 2 options. Either way you need to install the Gemtech Bi-lock, so.......

1 - Permanently attach the bi-lock (cheapest)
2 - SBR the lower and just screw on the bi-lock (smartest)

Getting the lower SBR'd is the best option. Then you can do whatever you want for shorter
uppers in the future. I have gone that route....twice. I have 2 SBR lowers and now I can shorty
uppers and long uppers in whatever configuration I want in my safe.

When you have an SBR and a suppressor or two, your options grow at an exponential rate.

Link Posted: 1/28/2011 6:07:34 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/28/2011 6:09:36 AM EDT by strambo]
If you are willing to spend the coin on a permed Battlecomp, I'd SBR it instead. I didn't SBR my 14.5" middy, but I have another SBR, no can, and only permed a Phantom so that's just a $20 FH (and the pin/weld was free with the upper).
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 2:19:42 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Overton-AR:
For me you only have 2 options. Either way you need to install the Gemtech Bi-lock, so.......

1 - Permanently attach the bi-lock (cheapest)
2 - SBR the lower and just screw on the bi-lock (smartest)

Getting the lower SBR'd is the best option. Then you can do whatever you want for shorter
uppers in the future. I have gone that route....twice. I have 2 SBR lowers and now I can shorty
uppers and long uppers in whatever configuration I want in my safe.

When you have an SBR and a suppressor or two, your options grow at an exponential rate.

Regular bi-lock or FSC556 bi-lock?

I know what you mean about NFA growth. I currently have an SBR, 5.56mm suppressor, 9mm suppressor, and full auto M11/9.
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 2:20:48 AM EDT

Originally Posted By BeerBender:
Definitely NO on the PWS in any way shape or form. I just got done cutting mine off.

I get to shoot my 14.5 middy with that loud arse brake off the gun tonight for the first time!

Have you compared the PWS brake on your 14.5" against a 16" barrel? I have one on my 16" midlength, and it's not a big deal.
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 3:30:23 AM EDT
Originally Posted By topgunpilot20:
Decided on a 14.5" midlength as my next build, and I cannot decide how I want to make it a legal length. I have a Gemtech 5.56 suppressor that uses a QD bi-lock mount which complicates the matter.

Options:

Permanently attach a BattleComp 1.5 - $200
Pros: Good recoil reduction, minimum overall length, configuration available from Bravo Company
Cons: Price, not compatible with my suppressor

Permanently attach a PWS FSC556 Bi-Lock mount - $80
Pros: Good recoil reduction, I already have one I can use, suppressor compatible
Cons: Longer overall length (it's .75" longer than a BC 1.5), not available from Bravo Company, $80 to have ADCO attach it

I think these are available with the BCM 14.5 midlength. Same as the PWS SM556 they have listed as an option?

Link Posted: 1/31/2011 5:30:13 AM EDT
Originally Posted By topgunpilot20:
Have you compared the PWS brake on your 14.5" against a 16" barrel? I have one on my 16" midlength, and it's not a big deal.

No. Just my 14.5. I know some guys like the PWS.. even on fighting guns. But it was the first brake I ever used since my shooting is more rooted in the "tactical" realm.

The PWS works great as a brake, but I always had to walk 10 yards down the firing line so the other shooters and family wouldn't get pissed at me when I shot.

Link Posted: 1/31/2011 8:26:44 AM EDT
Originally Posted By fike:
I think these are available with the BCM 14.5 midlength. Same as the PWS SM556 they have listed as an option?

The SM556 that Bravo offers is for a different suppressor.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 8:32:02 AM EDT
SBR it. And get something that will work with your can.

BTW, go F yourself
Top Top