Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/8/2012 4:45:22 PM EDT
I purchased a used rifle which has build up of carbon around the inside of the bolt carrier and other parts, would using CLP be the best to break up this neglected carbon build up and to get all cleaned. I was going to soak them for a couple of days and then work on getting the parts all cleaned.
Link Posted: 10/8/2012 5:45:28 PM EDT
[#1]
Soaking them with any name brand clp will help break up the carbon deposits.  Personally, I have found M-Pro7 gun cleaner spray to work very well on stubborn carbon deposits.  Also, Frog Lube when applied correctly, has proven to inhibit carbon from adhering to metal surfaces.  If you dont have access to those products, brass brushes and scraping tools combined with a bit of elbow grease will remove any carbon deposits.
Link Posted: 10/25/2012 3:24:00 PM EDT
[#2]
You can buy a CAT M4 Tool which is really helpful for carbon buildup.  Here is a link that has a video that shows how to use it.

http://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-tools-supplies/rifle-tools/combination-tools/ar-15-m16-cat-m4tool-prod31857.aspx
Link Posted: 10/26/2012 6:52:45 AM EDT
[#3]
Non chlorinated brake cleaner also works very well.
Link Posted: 10/28/2012 7:34:03 PM EDT
[#4]
Soaking in regular Hoppes #9 would work well for this and isn't as expensive as other products.  It's about the time I use Hoppes anymore.  You could use some kerosene and alcohol as well, since that, with a small amount of ammonia and banana oil is all that Hoppes really is.
Link Posted: 11/16/2012 5:47:04 PM EDT
[#5]
Try any of the foaming bore cleaners it melts the carbon off.  Let it soak for an hour or so and you'll be surprised how well it works.
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 9:36:14 AM EDT
[#6]
After trying a lot of diffrent thngs, I now use Simple Green spray cleaner.  It works about the best of anything I tried, Its cheap and Wal-Mart carries it. I spray the parts with simple green let stand for a couple of miniutes then brush with a copper brush, carbon comes right off.
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 5:31:26 PM EDT
[#7]
+1 on Simple Green. I buy the concentrate and mix it up myself. Also, +1 on the MPRO 7. It's a bit expensive, but is non-toxic and works great.
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 2:51:17 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
You can buy a CAT M4 Tool which is really helpful for carbon buildup.  Here is a link that has a video that shows how to use it.

http://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-tools-supplies/rifle-tools/combination-tools/ar-15-m16-cat-m4tool-prod31857.aspx

I do not recommend ever scraping on the bolt.  For one you will be causing damage, secondly it's just not needed.

If you feel the need to remove carbon, soak in a carbon remover like Slip2000's Carbon Cutter or ProShot Copper Remover IV.  I use the ProShot CR-IV and after an overnight soak you can just wipe off carbon with a paper towel, rinse and relube - and that was the inside of some muzzle devices that were completely encrusted.
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top