Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/20/2023 10:12:20 AM EDT
Hi,

This may have been hashed over but...

I'm considering adding a off set Red Dot of some sort to my AR platform... but have a few questions for those that run it now.. ESPECCIALLY  for those in areas that have snow or alot of rain.

Do you prefer an enclosed optic due to environmental conditions ?  Or does it matter ?

Does rain/ snow seem to affect the open emitter optics ( like Holosun)

What seems to be the best choice in offset optics ?

I'm just trying to think thru worst case stuff.... I like the Holosun ( and it is reasonably priced 507 model) but just really worried that rain or snow gets on it and causes a failure.

Any input from the hive would be appreciated

Link Posted: 9/20/2023 10:25:06 AM EDT
[#1]
limited experience (45 deg mount on 16" with 2-10 as primary)...
non-enclosed (RMR) on a QD pic. mount.
None of those things have been an issue - it gets wet, dirty, I just wipe it off and move on.
Link Posted: 9/20/2023 2:52:51 PM EDT
[#2]
Mainly concerened with freezing rain or snow getting on the emiter and covering the reticle
Link Posted: 9/20/2023 3:18:37 PM EDT
[#3]
I’ve had a water droplet set down in where the emitter/laser is on the rmr and render the sight basically useless until the water was banged out. This only happened once and I don’t think it’s necessarily something to worry about. I’m still a fan of rmr’s and have several. But if given the choice I’d take an enclosed emitter.

Currently in the process of putting a Holosun SCRS on an offset on a m12 mod 0.. but finding a mount has been problematic.

Link Posted: 9/20/2023 4:35:43 PM EDT
[#4]
They can be taken out by rain/snow, but it’s not super common.  

I’ve used RMRs in some pretty crappy weather without much issue.

This was about an hour or two into the start of a blizzard rolling in.  RMR still worked.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/20/2023 5:10:53 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 9/20/2023 7:04:34 PM EDT
[#6]
Tried an offset RMR with my ACOG.  Hated it.  Too small and dust gets in the emitter area.  

The RMR did not hold zero during battery replacements on a factory Trijicon offset mount.

T2 on an offset Larue is much better.
Link Posted: 9/20/2023 7:10:19 PM EDT
[#7]
Yeah,
I was thinking about a T2 style optic...from some of the replys it certainly would be ok if your life didnt depend on it.....and as we all know...Murphy's law applies to that scenario...

I guess i will look for a closed emiter....then to a T2 style...
Link Posted: 9/20/2023 7:21:44 PM EDT
[#8]
The EPS looks nice....I prefer the Circle Dot reticle...I think it would be lil faster to pick up...but Im sure that most of it is just training to get use to rolling the stock and aquiring the sight picture.
Link Posted: 9/20/2023 7:41:52 PM EDT
[#9]
Holosuns new SCRS looks good, uses 509t mounts. I’m running a Romeo5 offset.
Link Posted: 9/20/2023 8:53:02 PM EDT
[#10]
I prefer enclosed enclosed emitter on long guns. Though I do have one RMR piggybacked on an ACOG for that classic profile

Link Posted: 9/21/2023 4:07:47 AM EDT
[#11]
That Holosun SCRS looks like the ticket... it checks the boxes... I will have to see if I can find one locally to take a look at it ... then hopefully find a Arisaka mount to fit it
Link Posted: 9/21/2023 5:06:37 AM EDT
[#12]
I have an offset RMR on my coyote rifle that has a thermal scope as a primary optic. I have used it in rain, snow, and walked many miles through cornfields and forests without ever having a problem with the RMR getting obstructed. I just used the RMR to shoot a coyote a few days ago. No issues.
Link Posted: 9/21/2023 8:23:03 AM EDT
[#13]
Thanks for adding to this thread...I guess I will try the RMR open emiter first...I will find a used one and run it thru its paces.....and upgrade if needed...

Thanks to all who replied
Link Posted: 9/29/2023 12:43:17 PM EDT
[#14]
I run an offset red dot with open emitter.  Its a Leupold DeltaPoint Pro.  The emitter is actually inside a tunnel.  Ive hunted in terrible weather conditions with no issues.  I keep it covered in its included rubber cover except when stalking, just like I use folding lens caps on the scope.

I like its much larger field of view compared to round tube rds.  Its huge compared to 20mm T2 and other tube rds.  And, its very light - less than 2 ounces.

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Top Top