Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/14/2023 8:36:15 AM EDT
I was given an old Aimpoint comp m2 and recently it got wet and has terrible moisture inside, lots of condensation.

any DIY ways to get it dry? i removed the 1/16” or so allen screw, not sure if thats the purge port or not. ive had it in a filament dryer for a few days but it doesnt get hot enough to evaporate out the moisture.

this optic is just used on a .22 SBR and i paid nothing for it so if i ruin it further i wouldnt be out anything.

i’ve considered sending it to aimpoint but i also dont want to end up with a $$$$ repair bill for an ancient optic that im not attached to.
Link Posted: 9/14/2023 9:51:40 AM EDT
[#1]
leave the access port open and place in the oven @ 150* for a few hours. I cerakote optics all the time, it will not hurt anything on quality optics. When done, purge with argon and seal back up.

Link Posted: 9/14/2023 9:56:11 AM EDT
[#2]
Aimpoint is likely to repair for free if it's not a .gov bring back.
Link Posted: 9/14/2023 10:03:55 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Aimpoint is likely to repair for free if it's not a .gov bring back.
View Quote

This.

Contact them with the SN, they'll let you know if it was originally. Mil purchase.

And yes, screw is a purge port location.
Link Posted: 9/14/2023 10:23:55 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

This.

Contact them with the SN, they'll let you know if it was originally. Mil purchase.

And yes, screw is a purge port location.
View Quote

i emailed them a while back and just got a canned response about filling out an rma form and $99 service charge if its not warranty work

the optic is painted so unless the serial is somewhere other than the body of the optic i cant make it out.

i dont know the history of the optic but my gut feeling is that its a mil unit.
Link Posted: 9/14/2023 10:24:40 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
leave the access port open and place in the oven @ 150* for a few hours. I cerakote optics all the time, it will not hurt anything on quality optics. When done, purge with argon and seal back up.

View Quote

i will try this, wasnt sure if it would damage anything.

my oven goes down to 170, close enough?
Link Posted: 9/14/2023 10:25:12 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

i emailed them a while back and just got a canned response about filling out an rma form and $99 service charge if its not warranty work

the optic is painted so unless the serial is somewhere other than the body of the optic i cant make it out.

View Quote
If you end up not sending it back or fixing it, I would swap you a modern import off one of my 22's for it and fix it. If you do the oven and purge thing I mentioned above it should fix it.
Link Posted: 9/14/2023 10:26:43 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

i will try this, wasnt sure if it would damage anything.

my oven goes down to 170, close enough?
View Quote
170 is fine on that but make sure it cuts off at 170. I do 150 in my  oven because when I  open the door it creeps past temp to regulate.

Link Posted: 9/14/2023 10:33:32 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote

SN is on optic body.

At $99, it'd still be a steal.
Link Posted: 9/14/2023 10:45:12 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

SN is on optic body.

At $99, it'd still be a steal.
View Quote

it seemed like $99 was the cost to even touch it if they determined it was outside of warranty and not the actual repair cost but i didnt look into it further.
Link Posted: 9/14/2023 10:54:16 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
If you end up not sending it back or fixing it, I would swap you a modern import off one of my 22's for it and fix it. If you do the oven and purge thing I mentioned above it should fix it.
View Quote

if i cant get it dry in the oven and it still works i might take you up on that.
Link Posted: 9/14/2023 11:44:52 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

if i cant get it dry in the oven and it still works i might take you up on that.
View Quote

You can put the optic in a closed container with calcium chloride(drying agent) or use a vacuum to lower the pressure and suck on the purge plug to draw out the moisture.  Once done purge with argon like mentioned above and you can get canned argon off Amazon that is used for preserving wine.
Link Posted: 9/16/2023 10:37:20 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

messaged you
Link Posted: 9/16/2023 11:04:15 AM EDT
[#13]
Don't tell the Trijicon Credo guy.
Link Posted: 9/16/2023 1:48:48 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Don't tell the Trijicon Credo guy.
View Quote
Lol
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top