Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 11/19/2017 5:00:56 AM EDT
Looking for opinions on a tier 1 BCG that will be used in a suppressed 300 blackout build.

I have a BCM and a Daniel Defense already but wouldn't mind picking something else up if there are any better ones out there. Who makes a good NP3 one? Preferably something that doesn't have a gigantic logo all over it
Link Posted: 11/19/2017 5:25:22 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Looking for opinions on a tier 1 BCG that will be used in a suppressed 300 blackout build.

I have a BCM and a Daniel Defense already but wouldn't mind picking something else up if there are any better ones out there. Who makes a good NP3 one? Preferably something that doesn't have a gigantic logo all over it
View Quote
Palmetto state premium Np3
Link Posted: 11/19/2017 5:30:09 AM EDT
[#2]
You've got some from a couple of the highly regarded makers. I usually stick to Smith  Enterprises or Colt,  but wouldn't hesitate to use either from BCM or DD. The Smith's are great because all they have is the little SE in the shield as a mark,  about the size of the C on the Colts.

Never used anything with NP3, but seems a good coating. The Smith's that are my favorites and go to's were standard phosphate and hard chrome.  The chrome is real easy to clean and shoes very little wear.  The AXTS I have also shows little wear and is easy to clean,  but it does have a logo.  Only mention cleaning because suppressed from my understanding is dirty.

Someone will chime in with more info than I can provide in NP3
Link Posted: 11/19/2017 6:07:06 AM EDT
[#3]
I just stick with Tool Craft since they are contracted to make BCGs for the actually military but don't charge an extra $50 for branding or WMD NiB-X because of their lifetime warranty on the finish and their components are also made by defense contractors. The WMD NiB-X coating tested pretty successfully with the Military. Never really looked into NP3.
Link Posted: 11/19/2017 7:59:20 AM EDT
[#4]
tool craft, spend the $90 you saved on more ammo.
Link Posted: 11/19/2017 10:07:43 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 11/19/2017 5:59:55 PM EDT
[#6]
Cryptic coatings is pretty darn nice.
Link Posted: 11/19/2017 6:02:03 PM EDT
[#7]
Toolcraft SBN with BCM extractor spring is best bang for your buck IMO
Link Posted: 11/19/2017 6:02:08 PM EDT
[#8]
ToolCraft...aim surplus, psa premium etc....lots of great mfr's with quality bcg's without having to pay extra for a logo stamped on the side.
Link Posted: 11/19/2017 6:02:30 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Palmetto state premium Np3
View Quote
Link? Never seen NP3 from them.
Link Posted: 11/19/2017 6:35:43 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 11/19/2017 10:28:20 PM EDT
[#12]
Just know the NP3 is next to useless other than for cleaning, and not even that big of a deal on that.

It won't hold up as well as chromed either, so corrosion will still be a consideration (though not a big one).

LMT has some very much enhanced stuff. For suppressed, I'd say get either an adjustable gas block (best) or carrier (next best). Either way, ones that adjust easy and without special tools. Unless you plan to leave it suppressed all the time, forever. Then you'll still need an adjustable something to throttle down the gas.
Link Posted: 11/19/2017 10:38:04 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 11/19/2017 11:13:40 PM EDT
[#14]
Gemtech carriers are really nice to have on a suppressed upper.  Gives you some gas adjustment.  Work wonders calming down an overgassed upper like a MK18.  If you dont think you need that then, while yes DD BCG's are highly regarded and I own a few myself, there are less expensive options that will for all purposes work just fine.

Coated BCG's are nice to have and seem easier to clean.
Link Posted: 11/22/2017 11:45:21 AM EDT
[#15]
I have many carriers, but the DD phosphate has taken piles of suppressed, overgassed abuse, and carries on without a broken lug.  Anecdotal praise, but it will be in my go-to gun forever.

I have the chrome DD carrier in 2 other rifles, and they are so easy to clean, that I wish they were in all my ARs.  I like them better than my WMD Nibo
Link Posted: 11/22/2017 12:29:33 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 11/22/2017 8:02:27 PM EDT
[#17]
I use BCM and DD as well.

Just recently tried a Sionics NP3 BCG and their standard BCG and both are great.
Link Posted: 11/22/2017 8:26:38 PM EDT
[#18]
View Quote
You're welcome for what?  Offering a garbage bcg with a worse coating?  Nitride messes with the heat treatment, I wouldn't use it for a coating on a bolt.

Hard chrome as done by Daniel Defense and Rock River is the best.  NP3 is the second best.  DSA has np3 bcg for a very reasonable price.  It greatly enhances your weapons reliability contrary to the naysayers claims and is a vital part of a serious use rifle.  I'm going to start a thread on why later, but trust me, you want it.
Link Posted: 11/22/2017 8:54:56 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

You're welcome for what?  Offering a garbage bcg with a worse coating?  Nitride messes with the heat treatment, I wouldn't use it for a coating on a bolt.

Hard chrome as done by Daniel Defense and Rock River is the best.  NP3 is the second best.  DSA has np3 bcg for a very reasonable price.  It greatly enhances your weapons reliability contrary to the naysayers claims and is a vital part of a serious use rifle.  I'm going to start a thread on why later, but trust me, you want it.
View Quote
Lol. Toolcraft is garbage huh.
Link Posted: 11/22/2017 9:02:14 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It is when it's nitrided.
Link Posted: 11/22/2017 9:07:13 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
ToolCraft...aim surplus, psa premium etc....lots of great mfr's with quality bcg's without having to pay extra for a logo stamped on the side.
View Quote
ToolCraft FTW.  The one I got had a patch of roughness in the chrome
lining, so I contacted them and they said send it back. Got a replacement
and its PERFECT..as in FLAWLESS.

TC makes a quality product and they stand behind it.
Link Posted: 11/22/2017 9:28:27 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote
Based on...?

How many TC SBN bolts have you had fail on you?
Link Posted: 11/22/2017 9:53:49 PM EDT
[#23]
JP or LMT are probably the best BCG’s out there. Just be careful with the LMT. I forget which, but Euther the enhanced carrier or enhanced bolt was designed for overgassed guns. So if you are running undergassed it might cause issues.
Link Posted: 11/22/2017 10:33:59 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
tool craft, spend the $90 you saved on more ammo.
View Quote
Very good advice.
Link Posted: 11/23/2017 10:03:39 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote
Yep, you’ve proven yourself credible as of late.
Link Posted: 11/23/2017 10:14:49 AM EDT
[#26]
Try this sale on Toolcraft Phosphate BCG's if nitrate is a concern

https://www.righttobear.com/Toolcraft-Phosphate-158-Bolt-Carrier-Group-MPI-B-p/tooauto-011.htm

I got a couple here from the last sale they did, looks great to me. I sold 1 to a friend and might snag 1-2 more depending on what I buy this weekend on the sales
Link Posted: 11/23/2017 3:46:09 PM EDT
[#27]
@CMSENGINE any thoughts on Blain's claims?
Link Posted: 11/23/2017 4:18:32 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I tend to agree.

My only experience with a nitrided bolt ended quickly with it chipping around the cam pin hole after only two 30 round mags. This was a C158 bolt and was from one of the most trusted manufacturers around. I had them replace it with a standard heavy phosphate C158 bolt and have since gone through two cases of ammo without issue.

Since then, I've done quite a bit of research into the melonite/nitriding process and don't think it's best suited for use with rifle bolts. I know others have no problems using them, but I have not seen any data on high round count examples and most on here don't shoot as much as you would think.
Link Posted: 11/23/2017 4:37:25 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I tend to agree.

My only experience with a nitrided bolt ended quickly with it chipping around the cam pin hole after only two 30 round mags. This was a C158 bolt and was from one of the most trusted manufacturers around. I had them replace it with a standard heavy phosphate C158 bolt and have since gone through two cases of ammo without issue.

Since then, I've done quite a bit of research into the melonite/nitriding process and don't think it's best suited for use with rifle bolts. I know others have no problems using them, but I have not seen any data on high round count examples and most on here don't shoot as much as you would think.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I tend to agree.

I'm there with you.

Most (not all, like in 871JZ's case) of these nitrided bolts are 9130.  Disadvantage there is that the heat treatment for 9130 seems to be especially critical, and the Nitride process has the potential to completely screw up the heat treat.

During the panic of '12-'13 there were lots of reports here of 9130 bolts broken, often times with very few rounds fired through them.  They often broke at the bolt lugs vs the cam pin hole, and quite often broke multiple lugs at the same time.

I'm a fan of the tried and true C158, preferably from a known source, such as Colt or BCM.

Reality is that cleaning the bolts and the BCG really isn't that tough to begin with.
Link Posted: 11/23/2017 4:54:15 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

I'm there with you.

Most (not all, like in 871JZ's case) of these nitrided bolts are 9130.  Disadvantage there is that the heat treatment for 9130 seems to be especially critical, and the Nitride process has the potential to completely screw up the heat treat.

During the panic of '12-'13 there were lots of reports here of 9130 bolts broken, often times with very few rounds fired through them.  They often broke at the bolt lugs vs the cam pin hole, and quite often broke multiple lugs at the same time.

I'm a fan of the tried and true C158, preferably from a known source, such as Colt or BCM.

Reality is that cleaning the bolts and the BCG really isn't that tough to begin with.
View Quote
Exactly. I always laugh when people claim their coating makes it so easy to clean. First of all, most of these guys don't shoot that much to begin with, and second, cleaning the bolt/carrier isn't hard, anyway.

I shoot a lot, including suppressed, so my bolts are nasty and still don't have any trouble cleaning. I use a Real Avid tool which makes it about a 5 minute job, not matter how caked on the carbon gets.
Link Posted: 11/23/2017 5:00:09 PM EDT
[#31]

Ah, the old "I'm a serious shooter and other people who like what I don't like just dont actually shoot so therefore their opinion isnt valid" defense. Classic arfcom.

I've had 158 and 9310 SBN BCGs with a couple K spread between them and they work fine. Just like my NiB. And my phosphate. Go figure.
Link Posted: 11/23/2017 5:37:55 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Ah, the old "I'm a serious shooter and other people who like what I don't like just dont actually shoot so therefore their opinion isnt valid" defense. Classic arfcom.

I've had 158 and 9310 SBN BCGs with a couple K spread between them and they work fine. Just like my NiB. And my phosphate. Go figure.
View Quote
Where'd you come up with that shit? Apparently, reading comprehension isn't your thing. I never said nobody else's opinion was valid, I simply stated my opinion WITH my personal experience. In fact, I even stated that I know others use them without issue.

Mine failed after 60 rounds and I replaced it with a non-nitrided bolt that's gone over 2k rounds without a problem. Don't get so offended if someone doesn't like whatever it is that you like.

Again, I've yet to see any info regarding the lifespan of nitride C158 bolts. The history of non-treated bolts is well documented, to include decades of high round count non-treated C158 bolts that have been extremely reliable.
Link Posted: 11/23/2017 5:42:17 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Where'd you come up with that shit? I never said nobody else's opinion was valid, I simply stated my opinion WITH my personal experience. In fact, I even stated that I know others use them without issue. Apparently, reading comprehension isn't your thing.

Mine failed after 60 rounds and I replaced it with a non-nitrided bolt that's gone over 2k rounds without a problem. Don't get so offended if someone doesn't like whatever it is that you like.
View Quote
I'm not offended at all. I don't really care which of the three people use. I own all types so obviously have no dog in the fight. Point is they all work. You got a lemon, it happens.
Link Posted: 11/23/2017 5:47:24 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I'm not offended at all. I don't really care which of the three people use. I own all types so obviously have no dog in the fight. Point is they all work. You got a lemon, it happens.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Where'd you come up with that shit? I never said nobody else's opinion was valid, I simply stated my opinion WITH my personal experience. In fact, I even stated that I know others use them without issue. Apparently, reading comprehension isn't your thing.

You might be right. Did I say all nitrided bolts were shit? No, I said mine was, and after that experience I took a long and well researched look at the melonite/nitriding process and determined it's not best suited for use with rifle bolts. Never said it wouldn't work, just that in my opinion it's better used other places, such as barrels, not bolts.

If you really wanna get into it, I've seen MANY more failed nitrided bolts, especially 9310 bolts, than I have C158 phosphated bolts. And this has already been pointed out by others in this very thread. If you don't like it or agree with it, don't know what to tell you.

Also, I put a lot of trust in the R&D behind manufacturers such as DD, BCM, COLT, LMT, KAC, etc. I don't see ANY of them offering nitrided bolts, or 9310 bolts. I also think there's some merit to that.
Link Posted: 11/23/2017 5:56:45 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View Quote
In to read his comments. IIRC CMSENGINE no longer uses nitride bolts.
Link Posted: 11/23/2017 5:59:56 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Not surprised, and I'm sure he has good reason(s), including lots of research and personal experience behind that decision. It's also one I happen to agree with.
Link Posted: 11/23/2017 6:04:57 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

You might be right. Did I say all nitrided bolts were shit?
View Quote

Oh? Blain says its a garbage BCG with an even worse coating. You quote him and say you tend to agree.

But now you're not saying nitride isn't a shit coating?

Nice backtracking.
Link Posted: 11/23/2017 6:06:23 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View Quote
He posted this 4 hours ago.

"Toolcraft does not make their own bolts. Just carriers. The bolts they use are top of the line. They offer 158 and 9310. Parkerized or nitrided. They are all I use. Not one single issue. I spec out every single bolt I get thinking at some point I will get one that is borderline. Not one yet. Amazed . Great people to deal with. Craig"
Link Posted: 11/23/2017 6:18:43 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Oh? Blain says its a garbage BCG with an even worse coating. You quote him and say you tend to agree.

Nice backtracking.
View Quote
First, it's not really a coating.

Second, I prefer bolts not to be nitrided, simply because there is the risk of screwing up the heat treating, which is already something some manufactures have an issue getting right to begin with.

You weren't a member here in the 2012-2013 time frame when we were seeing quite a few 9130 bolts that were breaking due to shitty heat treating.  Wasn't just one company that was guilty of it as well, it was relatively common.

So for me, I prefer a good Carpenter 158 bolt that hasn't been nitrided.  And I prefer specific manufacturers, who have built a track record who I can trust.

As for what you prefer to buy, well, I don't really care.  You make your decisions based on the information that you have.  I will state my opinion, and if you don't like it, you don't have to listen to it.

All that said, as time goes on, companies get better with the various processes.  We are already seeing 9130 bolts that are lasting longer, so there has clearly been an improvement there.  I would expect to see the same with the nitride process as well.
Link Posted: 11/23/2017 6:24:46 PM EDT
[#40]
Since we are on the topic, is this BCG a tool craft?

http://palmettostatearmory.com/palmetto-state-armory-5-56-premium-full-auto-bolt-carrier-group-8779.html

If so, it's the cheapest price I found.
Link Posted: 11/23/2017 6:27:25 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Second, I prefer bolts not to be nitrided, simply because there is the risk of screwing up the heat treating, which is already something some manufactures have an issue getting right to begin with.

You weren't a member here in the 2012-2013 time frame when we were seeing quite a few 9130 bolts that were breaking due to shitty heat treating.  Wasn't just one company that was guilty of it as well, it was relatively common.

So for me, I prefer a good Carpenter 158 bolt that hasn't been nitrided.  And I prefer specific manufacturers, who have built a track record who I can trust.

As for what you prefer to buy, well, I don't really care.  You make your decisions based on the information that you have.  I will state my opinion, and if you don't like it, you don't have to listen to it.

All that said, as time goes on, companies get better with the various processes.  We are already seeing 9130 bolts that are lasting longer, so there has clearly been an improvement there.  I would expect to see the same with the nitride process as well.  
View Quote
Coating, treatment, whatever.

Its 9310 by the way.
Link Posted: 11/23/2017 6:28:06 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Nice backtracking.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You might be right. Did I say all nitrided bolts were shit?

Nice backtracking.
It's funny the only thing you can do is try to pick apart my posts instead of coming back with anything of substance.
Link Posted: 11/23/2017 6:29:56 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Coating, treament, whatever.

Its 9310 by the way.
View Quote
It shows your lack of knowledge on the subject when you keep getting it wrong, especially when you then go on to try and correct others.

Let's try it your way. 9130, 9310, whatever.
Link Posted: 11/23/2017 6:38:01 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
JP or LMT are probably the best BCG’s out there. Just be careful with the LMT. I forget which, but Euther the enhanced carrier or enhanced bolt was designed for overgassed guns. So if you are running undergassed it might cause issues.
View Quote
It's the enhanced carrier, and I own one. It's just the enhanced carrier without the enhanced bolt. I run it in a LMT 14.5 Carbine Upper (not suppressed) with an H2 Buffer.

It runs VERY smooth and my rifle gets WAY less dirty with it.

It's amazing.

The only downside is cost. I think the carrier alone is like $135-165.
Link Posted: 11/23/2017 6:46:56 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Its 9310 by the way.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Its 9310 by the way.
Your right.  I transpose numbers occasionally.  

Either way, we live in a great time, when we have a choice of materials, manufacturers, finishes, etc, many at very affordable prices.
Link Posted: 11/23/2017 6:48:24 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

It shows your lack of knowledge on the subject when you keep getting it wrong, especially when you then go on to try and correct others.

View Quote
Dense, aren't you?  Coating is what Blain called it hence when I referred to his post that's what I said. 9130 is just flat out incorrect and yet said it multiple times of his own volition.

Keep getting it wrong?  LOL what in the fuck are you talking about? Go on, I'll wait. Certainly by keep you don't mean the lone instance of me calling it a coating in reference to Blain's post..right? Right?

Oh..happy Thanksgiving, gents
Link Posted: 11/23/2017 6:49:12 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Your right.  I transpose numbers occasionally.  

Either way, we live in a great time, when we have a choice of materials, manufacturers, finishes, etc, many at very affordable prices.
View Quote
Agreed! To each their own.
Link Posted: 11/23/2017 7:01:33 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Dense, aren't you?  Coating is what Blain called it hence when I referred to his post that's what I said. 9130 is just flat out incorrect and yet said it multiple times of his own volition.

Keep getting it wrong?  LOL what in the fuck are you talking about? Go on, I'll wait. Certainly by keep you don't mean the lone instance of me calling it a coating in reference to Blain's post..right? Right?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm dense, but you're the one calling nitride a coating just because someone else did, instead of correcting them. Makes sense.

BTW, still nothing of substance. Just a bunch of whining because not everyone here thinks the way you do.

Happy Thanksgiving.

ETA: Also, to respond to your edit, you referenced Blain's post, and then in your own words called it a coating again. That isn't "a lone instance". That's twice. So, yes, "keep" was the right term for me to use. You can stop waiting now since I'm right again. Enjoy the rest of your turkey day.
Link Posted: 11/23/2017 7:11:45 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

ETA: Also, you referenced Blain's post, and then in your own words called it a coating again. That isn't "a lone instance". That's twice. So, yes, "keep" was the right term for me to use. You can stop waiting now since I'm right again. Enjoy the rest of your turkey day.
View Quote
I'll bite. Where?  Be specific.

I hope you arent talking about where I said "coating, treatment, whatever". If so you're really reaching. Those terms are in common usage loosely interchangeable.

Do you work with metals? Are 9130 and 9310 ok to mix up in manufacturing? Is 6061 vs 6063 aluminum just a difference in terminology? How about 7005 and 7075? Is it OK to mix those up?

Right again?
Link Posted: 11/23/2017 7:14:10 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Since we are on the topic, is this BCG A tool craft?

http://palmettostatearmory.com/palmetto-state-armory-5-56-premium-full-auto-bolt-carrier-group-8779.html

If so, it's the cheapest price I found.
View Quote
The carrier is Toolcraft. PSA has never said who makes their bolts. It's a quality product, I've used it in several AR builds over the years and have 2 here now as back ups plus the Toolcraft BGC I linked in another post this string
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top