AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 6/30/2012 3:08:01 PM EDT
Link Posted: 6/30/2012 8:08:15 PM EDT
[#1]
Awesome !
Link Posted: 7/1/2012 5:10:21 AM EDT
[#2]

Any idea how they load these rounds to keep the bottom bullet concentric?  I would expect it to just fall over while it was moving through the machinery towards the second powder-charging station where they top off the powder around and above it.

Link Posted: 7/1/2012 6:49:40 AM EDT
[#3]
Great job, Zhuk!

P.S.
...what kind of device does one saw/cut/machine/mill/cross section these rounds?

cut off wheel, grinder?

especially that durn primer––how do you keep it from popping during cross-sectioning? soak it in WD40 first?

I gots to know!
Link Posted: 7/1/2012 6:50:15 AM EDT
[#4]
As I recall from reading about the 7.62x51mm Duplex round from the 1960's, a special fixture was used to keep the #2 bullet concentric during the loading process. No doubt leading to the round's higher cost, and it's being eventually discontinued...

The Germans successfully made some "Duplex" 7,9 mauser cartridges using two 7,9 Kurzpatrone projectiles, and likely had similar manufacturing issues. Test reports through an MG-42 were very favorable, but the war ended before it cold be mass produced. Can you imagine an MG-42 running duplex rounds at 1,200 RPM?

1DD
Link Posted: 7/1/2012 7:42:15 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 7/1/2012 11:54:00 PM EDT
[#6]
Awsome information, thanks for your work!
Link Posted: 7/2/2012 2:58:19 AM EDT
[#7]
Thanks Zhukov, for all the time and work on the Ammunition cross-section website.  Think you got them all from your last update and all are represented correctly.  However one is wrong from the past posting, the 5.8x21 Chinese is actually a 9mm S&B, Norma 211, and a M39 in comparison.  Here is a pic that has the S&B 9mm projectile in upper left, Libra snail brass projectile lower left, and a 5.8x21 key chain ($150 alone) on the right.  All are very rare, or extremely expensive, or just unobtainable.  If you could, please adjust this one as its pretty important in the collecters world.  Other than that, great job done!

As far as saying how these are cut, several websites do not like me saying how its done because they do not want that responsibilty.  I have become friends with someone who lost most of his hand and an eye from cutting into a 20mm.  He has become a "Poster Child " for how dangerous it really is to do.  If you still want to know, and Zhukov says its alright, will describe it in a seperate thread.

I think its love that keeps the two bullets in place in the duplexs. but I'm crazy.

For anyone who doesn't know, Zhukov devotes his free time on this little project.  He is creating a great reference for all the AR.15 users for FREE!  Where else are you going to get something for free! Everyony one should give the Great Zhukov a big thanks.  kevin   (wolfganggross)
Link Posted: 7/2/2012 6:34:10 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 7/5/2012 6:53:19 AM EDT
[#9]
Thanks for your efforts
Link Posted: 7/5/2012 7:43:22 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 7/5/2012 10:22:00 AM EDT
[#11]
For anyone who doesn't know, Zhukov devotes his free time on this little project. He is creating a great reference for all the AR.15 users for FREE! Where else are you going to get something for free! Everyony one should give the Great Zhukov a big thanks. kevin (wolfganggross)

Roger that, Kevin!

Mega "THANKS!" to both of you.

...Knowledge is power...
Link Posted: 7/5/2012 4:20:28 PM EDT
[#12]
NICE!  Thank you both for your dedication and hard work.  Any chance of seeing a .45acp Hydro-Shok?
Link Posted: 7/6/2012 5:43:25 AM EDT
[#13]
Thanks for all the work Zhukov.  I really find the cutaway pics and the info very interesting.
Link Posted: 7/6/2012 8:15:55 PM EDT
[#14]
Very interesting data. Thanks for your hard work!
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top