Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/27/2023 8:17:43 PM EDT
What's ARFCOM using in their short barrel 300 BLK guns set up for HD?

Got a 8.5" JAKL upper on the way that I'm going to be using for this. I'm assuming supersonic is the way to go. Will be shooting suppressed 100% of the time.

I was using a different 300 BLK gun for this for a while and had just been using this stuff because I can always find it and I figured that if it'll work on deer it'll work on humans.

Attachment Attached File

That said, I'm assuming it might not be the best thing for HD and I want to optimize this gun and ammo for that as much as I can.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 8/27/2023 8:29:59 PM EDT
[#1]
If you are shooting suppressed why wouldn't you use a heaver subsonic round? Discreat Ballistics make a great subsonic hunting round. Depending on what's beyond your target fragmenting would be best, but that may be an issue with a can. Controlled fracture rounds are not an issue with a can.
Link Posted: 8/27/2023 8:32:26 PM EDT
[#2]
My thoughts if over pentration is a concern the 110gr Vmax. I have 2 loaded with it and my 16 hunting gun is loaded w Barnes TTSX or Vor Tx I forget.
Link Posted: 8/27/2023 8:37:49 PM EDT
[#3]
I’m working up some hand loads with 190gn SUB-X. I have a 5.5” Rattler with a can. It’s been a work in progress as it’s been too damn hot lately to spend much time outside. I’m pretty close though. I need 1050-1075 FPS.

ETA: I also have a bunch of the Lehigh Defense subsonic bullets that will come next. I want expansion more than velocity.
Link Posted: 8/27/2023 8:51:42 PM EDT
[#4]
200 grain Makers expanding subs at 975fps.  Expand to 2" wide baby!!!
Link Posted: 8/27/2023 9:25:37 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 8/27/2023 10:07:13 PM EDT
[#6]
Personally, I use the 110gr VMAX based on performance, cost, and availability.

There are other bullets like the Barnes Tac-TX that are supposed to perform a little better, but not enough to justify the cost over the VMAX for me.
Link Posted: 8/27/2023 10:13:54 PM EDT
[#7]
Tons of good options between 110-125Gr supers.
Link Posted: 8/27/2023 10:15:51 PM EDT
[#8]
I use Hornady 100 gr VMAX for a supersonic (its our duty load).  I also carry Hornady Sub-X for Subsonic (use this to dispatch animals).  

I woud prefer supersonic over subsonic unless noise is an absolute factor.  The subs have better trajectory and maintain velocity further than a 45acp, but at the muzzle to 25 yards there is not much difference.  Might as well take advantage of the supersonics.  

I have used the 125 grain VMAX style bullets for hunting.  If I were working up a subsonic for hunting I would be looking at the Makers.

Mike
Link Posted: 8/27/2023 10:43:50 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
View Quote

This.
Link Posted: 8/28/2023 12:22:25 AM EDT
[#10]
Whatever you do, don't buy a case before trying a box; the JAKL chamber chokes on ammo from a lot of different manufacturers.   I handload for mine to make it run.
Link Posted: 8/28/2023 8:17:21 AM EDT
[#11]
View Quote

This is what's in mine as well.
Link Posted: 8/28/2023 9:15:52 AM EDT
[#12]
110gr Vmax
110gr Varmageddon
110gr Tac-tx
Link Posted: 8/28/2023 9:33:51 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Personally, I use the 110gr VMAX based on performance, cost, and availability.

There are other bullets like the Barnes Tac-TX that are supposed to perform a little better, but not enough to justify the cost over the VMAX for me.
View Quote

same.  i have subs also but the gun stays loaded with these nonetheless.
Link Posted: 8/28/2023 1:04:04 PM EDT
[#14]
Subs: Discreet Ballistics
Supers: Barnes Vortx
Link Posted: 8/29/2023 4:07:39 PM EDT
[#15]
View Quote

Sad part is the bullets cost almost as much as the complete factory loads
Link Posted: 8/29/2023 4:12:36 PM EDT
[#16]
110gr TAC-TX is best, no question.
Have killed plenty of critters with it.

110gr VMAX is my second choice, have a good bit of that.

PSA/AAC is supposedly working on a 110gr Barnes load
Link Posted: 8/29/2023 4:14:35 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Sad part is the bullets cost almost as much as the complete factory loads
View Quote

Buy enough to test for function+ fill a couple mags, then shoot 110 VMAX the rest of the time.
Link Posted: 8/29/2023 7:33:13 PM EDT
[#18]
These threads are definitely consistent.

Every supersonic answer in this thread has been either 110gr Vmax or 110gr tac-tx.  Vor-tx is simply the class (rifle hunting) that Barnes lists the Tac-tx under.  
110gr Varmageddon is Nosler’s version of Hornady Vmax.  

PSA/AAC has a chance to join this list with the new 110gt Sabre round that is similar to Vmax/Varmageddon, but they HAVE to give more info/data/ test results on their bullets.
Link Posted: 9/4/2023 6:52:21 PM EDT
[#19]
Thanks for all the responses. Ordering some Barnes 110 gr TAC-TX.

Hopefully my JAKL likes it.
Link Posted: 9/7/2023 7:34:15 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
If you are shooting suppressed why wouldn't you use a heaver subsonic round? Discreat Ballistics make a great subsonic hunting round. Depending on what's beyond your target fragmenting would be best, but that may be an issue with a can. Controlled fracture rounds are not an issue with a can.
View Quote

Because subsonic 300 Blackout rounds are essentially just pistol power loads and supersonic 110 grain rounds like Barnes TAC-TX are more slightly more powerful than full 5.56 loads from similar barrel lengths.
Link Posted: 9/8/2023 10:42:00 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Because subsonic 300 Blackout rounds are essentially just pistol power loads and supersonic 110 grain rounds like Barnes TAC-TX are more slightly more powerful than full 5.56 loads from similar barrel lengths.
View Quote

While velocity and energy are similar to some handgun loads, the damage and penetration caused by bullets along the lines of the Maker Rex 200gr is tremendous.
Link Posted: 9/11/2023 5:33:23 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

While velocity and energy are similar to some handgun loads, the damage and penetration caused by bullets along the lines of the Maker Rex 200gr is tremendous.
View Quote

And still inferior to supersonic loads like the 110 Barnes. By a huge margin. Noone should kid themselves about this. Even the best subsonic loads pale in comparison to the best supersonic loads. And I am a guy who believes 9mm and .45 are essentially "the same" when it comes to handguns. Subs vs supers in 300 BLK is not even close. Even with Maker or Lehigh.
Link Posted: 9/11/2023 6:38:37 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

And still inferior to supersonic loads like the 110 Barnes. By a huge margin. Noone should kid themselves about this. Even the best subsonic loads pale in comparison to the best supersonic loads. And I am a guy who believes 9mm and .45 are essentially "the same" when it comes to handguns. Subs vs supers in 300 BLK is not even close. Even with Maker or Lehigh.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Speed kills. I'll take the bullet going 2.5X faster.

One has similar ballistics to an AK round. The other is similar to a .45ACP.
Link Posted: 9/11/2023 7:17:21 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote

This is an oversimplification. Energy is similar to a 45 ACP, but with a well designed projectile the terminal performance is more lethal than a pistol round.
Link Posted: 9/11/2023 9:08:46 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

This is an oversimplification. Energy is similar to a 45 ACP, but with a well designed projectile the terminal performance is more lethal than a pistol round.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The speed and weight are virtually identical. The materials are the same and very similarly arranged. In the case of .45ACP, it starts out at a wider diameter... The terminal performance is going to be very similar, because all the things relate to terminal ballistics that matter, are very similar. It's almost like some people believe ammunition is a dark magic that physics don't apply to.
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Top Top