Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/16/2009 5:42:56 AM EDT
Does anyone know a cheap solution to keep gas from escaping under the charging handle?  My search yielded nothing.  I was shooting with my .22 conversion and had a lot of gas coming from under the CH.  I was thinking of putting some kind of high temperature tape on the receiver to make a better seal.  Since this is just my plinking riffle I don't feel like dropping a bunch of money on a new CH.  Thanks guys.
Link Posted: 10/16/2009 5:53:48 AM EDT
[#1]
This might help.

Quoted:
Posted: 9/11/2009 8:46:47 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/14/2009 6:33:15 PM EDT by USMC03]

For the members that have requested a "Gas buster" version of the BCM Gunfighter charging handle.

Here's a do it yourself gas buster charging handle modificiation review that I wrote back in 2004, and updated with new pics this past weekend.

Many guys have asked me what the "red stuff" is in the gap on the charging handles closest to the receiver.

If you look at the charging handle on an AR15 from the top of the gun you will notice that there is a half circle shaped gap where the charging handle fits up agains the upper receiver.

If you look at this same area from the side, you will notice that there is a space between the charging handle and the upper receiver. This is where a majority of excess lube, gases, and debris escape out of the upper receiver and are directed into the shooters face.

By filling the half circle gap on the charging handle with RTV silicone you can make a cheap and very effective "gas buster" for your charging handle, and this prevents Lube, gases and debris from being blown back into your face.

Step #1

Prep the charging handle. Clean the half circle shaped area on the charging handle with Acetone and wipe dry.

Step #2

Get a tube of Permatex High-Temp RTV Silicone Gasket Makter #26B (can be found in the automotive section at Wal-Mart. It comes in a red tube and costs $2.97).

Looking at the charging handle from the top you will notice a gap that looks like a "C" or half circle. Ensure that the charging handle is locked in the forward position.

To make the gas buster modification, I filled in this gap between the upper receiver and the higher portion of the charging handle with the High-Temp RTV Silicone, using a plastic knife to level out the silicone and remove any excess.

Step #3

Let the RTV Silicone dry over night, once the RTV Silicone is applied to the charging handle, DO NOT move the charging handle until the RTV Silicone has cured.

After the RTV cures, take a knife and slide the blade between the RTV and the upper receiver to loosen it up a bit. Then pull the charging handle back slowly, if it's still sticking to the upper receiver, use the blade of the knife to slowly and gently pull the RTV away from the upper receiver. You want the RTV Silicone to stick to the charging handle, not the upper receiver.

The RTV Silicone makes a perfect seal, nothing can excape from the upper receiver in the area of the charging handle.

I have guns that I put the RTV on back in 2001 or so and it's still on the gun. The RTV makes a perfect seal around the upper receiver, it's much cheaper than a $90 charging handle.

Apply the RTV Silicon while the charging handle and bolt are both in the forward position:

Charging handle when complete and removed from the rifle:

Link Posted: 10/16/2009 5:53:48 AM EDT
[#2]
Someone did it with red hi temp silicone a while back with pics to assist you but I am unable to find it.

edit/ Damn he's fast!

**Note. RTV does not stick to oil.  A light coat on the extended part of the upper will assist you in your efforts.  It also does not stick to water so try wetting a Q-tip to push some into your oiled upper and can help form a smooth dam on the handle.

Link Posted: 10/16/2009 7:03:27 AM EDT
[#3]
That is exactly what I was looking for.  Thanks guys!
Link Posted: 10/16/2009 9:01:26 AM EDT
[#4]
I've done exactly this on 3 rifles and it was as easy as you can imagine.....I hadnt done it on my .22, but it has no gas tube. If it becomes trouble suppressed I'll do it to. I found some different brands of RTV sealant in a transparent blue, white, and black (after I finished them all of course). The transparent blue almost turns black and is barely noticeable, the white isnt as noticeable as the red, but does still stand out as well.

If I do it again I'm going to do them all with black and use CLP on the upper receivers surface to make the separation easier.
Link Posted: 10/16/2009 9:06:15 AM EDT
[#5]
Short addendum. When you do the RTV thing DO NOT push the charging handle forward. Put the RTV on and slowly lower the CH. Finish up seating the bolt with the forward assist. You want the CH in the rearward most position that will still allow the bolt to fully lock up.
Link Posted: 10/16/2009 9:33:38 AM EDT
[#6]
if your just using it for 22 get a gas tube plug  from spikes
Link Posted: 10/18/2009 2:08:15 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
if your just using it for 22 get a gas tube plug  from spikes

I just bought a tube of silicone to try but if that doesn't work I'll have to order one.  Thanks!
Link Posted: 10/18/2009 5:44:08 PM EDT
[#8]
This could be just the ticket to delay/avoid a $90 purchase.  Thanks!!
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top