Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 6/7/2010 7:08:07 PM EDT
What's the difference?

I see the PAQ4C has the paddle, and listings seem to say that the PEQ4 is more powerful.

Can someone please explain to me the differences, please?
Link Posted: 6/7/2010 8:36:29 PM EDT
[#1]
IIRC, I suspect most of the references you're seeing listed for the AN/PEQ-4 are erroneously designated and referring to the AN/PAQ-4C, the only references I can find for an AN/PEQ-4 look completely different:

http://www.knesekguns.com/commercial/m33/Insight-Technology/p284/AN/PEQ-4-Medium-Power-Laser-Illuminator-(MPLI)/product_info.html

Not sure what the difference in basis of issue for the AN/PEQ-4 is, but certainly doesn't look like it would be well suited to being top mounted on a conventionally configured M16/M4 like the PAQ-4C.  I think a good bit of the confusion that's come around is the fact that while many troops consider the AN/PAQ-4C and AN/PEQ-2A to be functionally identical (nevermind that they're not... but I digress), and I've seen, even in official documents such things as: "PEK 4" and "PAQ-2" and more abortions of the proper designation, none of which is helped by the fact  that the AN/PAQ-4 and AN/PAQ-4A look completely different from the AN/PAQ-4C.

http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/library/report/call/call_96-3_cpt3appd.htm

Near as I can tell, the designation "PEQ" designations an illumination system, while the "PAQ" refers to an aiming light only, however, then again, the Insight CVL is designated the AN/PEQ-5 when it only has a visible aiming light, and the EOTech 553 is designated the AN/SU-231 PEQ, so really, none of it makes any sense at all.

HTH,
~Augee
Link Posted: 6/7/2010 9:06:27 PM EDT
[#2]
Thank you.
Link Posted: 7/5/2010 3:04:02 PM EDT
[#3]
Well here is a PEQ2A and a PAQ4C.  PAQ4C on the left.

Link Posted: 7/8/2010 8:09:33 AM EDT
[#4]
The PAQ4C has a single IR laser while the PEQ-2A has both an IR laser and an IR illuminator. The IR illuminator can be focused and the two IR lasers can work together. The PEQ-2A also has two power setting hi and lo and correct it is a more powerful unit.
Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top