Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Basics
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/29/2014 7:25:12 PM EDT
Hey Everyone,

I picked up my first AR over the weekend. I went with the Ruger SR-556CLA mainly because I know someone there and got a good deal and didn't feel like taking the time to build one. I shot the gun over the weekend and I like it a lot. I have never shot an AR, so I don't have anything to compare to. I've shot plenty of handguns and shotguns, but not really any rifles. My other gun is a Ruger GP-101. They compliment each other well.

So... why am I not your standard shooter? Well I was in a snowmobile accident nine years ago and lost 90% movement in my left arm, so I do everything with my right hand only. I can safely operate the rifle and am somewhat accurate. It is difficult though. In a crouching position I rest the magazine on my left knee and support it that way. Standing, however, I just pull the stock into my shoulder and kind of use my cheek to help hold it in place. The only thing I have found to be very difficult is to hold the charging handle back and press the bolt catch rocker to hold it open.

Does anybody on here have any advice on any products that might help me out? Slings? Handles? Stocks? Obviously a bipod would, but I will rarely be shooting on a flat surface and don't really feel like laying down in the dirt to shoot every time.

Any advice in general would be greatly appreciated.

Link Posted: 9/29/2014 7:30:06 PM EDT
[#1]
Would a magpul b.a.d. lever help out?
(Battery assist device)..

It makes it much much easier to engage/disengage the bolt catch.

click for link
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 7:55:39 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

click for link
View Quote

I think that would deffinitely help. I would be able to engage the bolt catch much easier because the lever is so much larger. Plus after a mag change I could release it easier. Thanks for posting!
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 8:28:18 PM EDT
[#3]
You can use an empty mag to catch the bolt then remove it once the bolt is back. Just keep a spare empty one in your kit for this purpose. Not exactly what you're looking for but it's the only thing I can think of that would press the bolt catch for you.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 8:30:38 PM EDT
[#4]
Have you thought about a side charging receiver?
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 8:45:16 PM EDT
[#5]
Maybe an ambi charging handle, like Raptor.  Could support forearm with left arm, pull as best you can into your shoulder, and use rigt hand to charge it.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 8:46:42 PM EDT
[#6]
A tripod rest might be handy at times.

Link Posted: 9/29/2014 11:21:47 PM EDT
[#7]
Welcome.

Maybe an lightweight SBR would help as well.

Link Posted: 9/30/2014 11:57:55 AM EDT
[#8]
The B.A.D. (as mentioned) or something similar would help with the bolt catch issue. I don't have one but, if I were going to add one, I think I'd go with one that replaces the bolt catch rather than adds to it but, that's just personal opinion. You can also buy an ambidextrous charging handle. I don't know if that will help you with your specific injuries but, it would be worth looking at and deciding for yourself.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 12:25:44 PM EDT
[#9]
My experience with Adaptive equipment is fairly limited but 2 years ago I helped a young man with CP set up a rig he was using in a field field blind . He go what he needed off ot his page.
http://www.buckmasters.com/resources/badf/disabled-hunters/adaptive-equipment.aspx
As I recall this was the actual thing we set up for him.
http://www.battenfeldtechnologies.com/caldwell/catalog.asp/?product=magnum-deadshot-fieldpod
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 1:18:22 PM EDT
[#10]
I too have a disability, Osteogenesis Imperfecta (bone disease), and I am very familiar with finding ways to make things work for you.

Even with the limited use of your left arm, what about using an arm sling (the ones used for injuries) to be able to hold your arm bent at 90 degrees to be able to rest the handguard on that arm. Then, place the stock in the pocket of your right arm's elbow. Then, grasp the charging handle with your middle and index fingers.

Here are the charging handles I use. The one on the right is the MechArmor Defense TacOps-1; it's worth checking out due to the wider T section of the charging handle.

There is also this type of ambi-bolt catch lever. Tactical Link Enhanced Battery Assist Lever

Link Posted: 9/30/2014 1:34:01 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
My experience with Adaptive equipment is fairly limited but 2 years ago I helped a young man with CP set up a rig he was using in a field field blind . He go what he needed off ot his page.
http://www.buckmasters.com/resources/badf/disabled-hunters/adaptive-equipment.aspx
As I recall this was the actual thing we set up for him.
http://www.battenfeldtechnologies.com/caldwell/catalog.asp/?product=magnum-deadshot-fieldpod
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/30/2014 6:00:17 PM EDT
[#12]
Thanks for all of the responses. I think the ambidextrous battery assist lever will be on order. I never thought of putting an empty mag in to hold the bolt back too, that is a good idea as well. At first I wanted to do an SBR for obvious reasons. After I started looking into that I realized how much of a hassle it is, not to mention the waiting period. I needed mine now because I moved into a state which disregards the 2nd amendment. While my license was still from my home state I could still purchase a black gun. Now I will have to just keep it at my folks house until these laws get repealed (I hope).

I am able to charge it alright by aiming the barrel to the ground and squeezing it between my legs. Why do people buy aftermarket charging handles? Because they are bigger and easier to grip?

Here is one thing I tried looking up but had no luck. Is there such thing as a butt pad which has a lever that goes into your armpit? My challenge isn't lifting 8 pounds, but more the 7-8 ft-lb torque that i transferred to my wrist. If I had this stock/butt pad, this moment would transfer into my armpit instead.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 2:16:29 PM EDT
[#13]
Welcome aboard. Look around and see what all is out there, that would be to your benefit. The list of add ons and upgrades is huge. I wouldn't really know where to start to help/point you in the right direction.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 10:19:34 AM EDT
[#14]
Thanks, there is a lot to learn with these rifles. Thanks to this site and others, learning is pretty easy.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 3:06:45 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I think that would deffinitely help. I would be able to engage the bolt catch much easier because the lever is so much larger. Plus after a mag change I could release it easier. Thanks for posting!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

click for link

This is a good idea but I would recommend the Phase 5 unit rather than the BAD.  I have the BAD and it's fine, but my loctite that came on it didn't "lock tite" and my BAD got sloppy and wouldn't do its job.  The Phase 5 is 1 piece and is the bolt catch so no chance of it getting loose.

Might also suggest a side-charging upper.  I think it would be much easier to manipulate with one hand, and because it's on the same side as the catch you could likely do both easier with the one hand.

Last suggestion might be to build a pistol.  I am no fan of the Sig Brace but you are the very reason it was developed, and the brace will allow you to run a shorter lighter stick without worrying with doing the SBR paperwork.  In 300 Blackout you can take deer and pigs to 200 yds with a mere 9" barrel, and it makes for a nice HD piece as well.
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 12:59:22 PM EDT
[#16]
I too know what you're going through. I lost most of the movement of my left arm from a stroke 10 years ago when I was 19. I find the ar platform to be very well suited to the disabled shooter. After a trip to the range with a marine buddy I was sold. Built a budget rifle from palmetto state armory. I picked up the ambidextrous bolt release from Troy industries. I think the ar platform is well suited to disabled shooters due to it being lightweight, low recoil and unlimited customizing options.
Link Posted: 10/7/2014 7:01:54 PM EDT
[#17]
Thanks for the input. I will check out the phase 5. I do like the idea of a one piece design.

So ANY rifle with a barrel under 16" is considered an SBR and requires the government paperwork, correct? That Sig Brace is pretty cool, too.
Link Posted: 10/7/2014 7:07:06 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I too know what you're going through. I lost most of the movement of my left arm from a stroke 10 years ago when I was 19. I find the ar platform to be very well suited to the disabled shooter. After a trip to the range with a marine buddy I was sold. Built a budget rifle from palmetto state armory. I picked up the ambidextrous bolt release from Troy industries. I think the ar platform is well suited to disabled shooters due to it being lightweight, low recoil and unlimited customizing options.
View Quote

I agree, it doesn't seem too bad to use with one hand. How to you hold the bolt release lever open when you charge it?
Link Posted: 10/7/2014 7:51:31 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Welcome.

Maybe an lightweight SBR would help as well.

View Quote

+1. Welcome.

And a shorter SBR or 14.5" carbine AND possibly also going to a 2nd DI gun would be most advantageous, since it(DI) isn't nearly as front heavy as the SR556. This would help one arm manipulation immensely.
Link Posted: 10/7/2014 9:41:05 PM EDT
[#20]
Factory AR15's are getting lightweight. For example, the MAG Tactical Systems Air 15 RECON weighs in at 4.8 lbs.
Link Posted: 10/8/2014 1:02:22 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:  Thanks for the input. I will check out the phase 5. I do like the idea of a one piece design.

So ANY rifle with a barrel under 16" is considered an SBR and requires the government paperwork, correct? That Sig Brace is pretty cool, too.
View Quote

Weeel, not exactry.  You can weld a muzzle device(flash hider, muzzle brake, fake suppressor) to a 14.7", 14.5", 12.5", etc bbl so that the entire assembly is a minimum of 16".  So you'll see a lot of talk here of a pinned & welded 14.5" bbl, or a silver soldered 14.7".  The retro guys pin & weld fake moderators to 12.5" bbls to make their XM177 clones.  The other tack is to make an AR pistol from a bare receiver, with whatever bbl length you want, and add a SIG brace, so you can have a 7" bbl if you like.  Some folks in the under 6 lb thread are getting their ARs under 5 lbs by using magnesium uppers & lowers, adjustable gas blocks, and titanium bolt carriers.  Expensive, but someone is working on a sub 4 lb goal.
Link Posted: 10/9/2014 5:51:32 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Expensive, but someone is working on a sub 4 lb goal.
View Quote

I've already built a sub 4 lb.  I'm working on a 3 lb build now.

OP, there's another guy on that has a similar issue, I sent him a link to this thread.
Link Posted: 10/9/2014 3:43:19 PM EDT
[#23]
Wow,that's light. Half of mine haha. I'm assuming DI? Thanks for sending him the link.
Link Posted: 10/9/2014 6:22:34 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Wow,that's light. Half of mine haha. I'm assuming DI? Thanks for sending him the link.
View Quote

Yep

Page AR-15 » AR Basics
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Top Top