Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 2/21/2009 10:16:06 AM EDT
What is the difference between H1, H2, and H3 buffers?  Which would be appropriate on a midlength carbine?  I bought a Vltor E-mod complete kit, what does that come with?
Link Posted: 2/21/2009 10:17:54 AM EDT
[#1]
difference is weight.  I run a regular car buffer in one middy and a rifle buffer in the other (a2 stock).  Run an H2 in my SBR.

should be able to tell by looking at the face of your buffer to see what it came with, i would bet a regular car buffer.

Link Posted: 2/21/2009 10:29:55 AM EDT
[#2]
They are usually marked on the front.

The H, H2, & H3, indicate the number of tungsten weights (out of the three), the others are steel.

ETA/ pic

Link Posted: 2/21/2009 10:37:08 AM EDT
[#3]

Chart courtesy of AR15barrels from another forum thread

I'm not sure what comes with the EMOD kit, maybe a standard carbine buffer, if it's not marked with an H or H2 check the weight with the chart shown.

I've also got a Vltor EMOD with Vltor buffer tube on my midlength carbine and I'm running a Colt standard carbine buffer, mine works great but some users could use heavier buffers according to their own preference.

My carbine started out as a Colt 6721 but I switched to an Operator midlength, medium contour, Denny's Guns-GTS Rock Creek barrel.

Link Posted: 2/21/2009 11:03:20 AM EDT
[#4]
Awesome pics. Thanks Alpha.
Link Posted: 2/21/2009 11:26:11 AM EDT
[#5]
I just replaced the carbine buffer on one of my S&W's with an H buffer but made the mistake of also replacing the stock spring with an extra power. Result, multiple mis-feedsI  I'd suggest one or the other but not both or you may have the same problems.
Link Posted: 2/21/2009 1:28:19 PM EDT
[#6]
so which one should I get for a midlength H, H2, or H3 ? mine does not have any markings, so I would assume it is not of the H type.  Doesn't colt use an H type?
Link Posted: 2/21/2009 1:34:23 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
so which one should I get for a midlength H, H2, or H3 ? mine does not have any markings, so I would assume it is not of the H type.  Doesn't colt use an H type?

My Colt 6920 came with an H buffer, and so did the complete Colt lower that I bought.

I also have an H buffer in a 16" middy and it cycles fine.
Link Posted: 2/21/2009 2:07:19 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I just replaced the carbine buffer on one of my S&W's with an H buffer but made the mistake of also replacing the stock spring with an extra power. Result, multiple mis-feedsI  I'd suggest one or the other but not both or you may have the same problems.

What kind of bolt carrier were you using?  Full auto or semi?  I'm asking because I did the same thing and haven't been to the range yet.
Link Posted: 2/21/2009 2:17:36 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

If your buffer doesn't have markings and it weights 3 oz. per the chart then it's a standard carbine buffer.

You could try out your buffer if it's a standard type, it might work, or you might want a slower bolt velocity for more reliability, you could use a heavier buffer like the H or H2, etc.

New Colt models now and usually the law enforcement models with carbine gas systems comes with the H buffers, mine was an older spare from my former Colt carbines which I tried and it works.

Also I'm using a Colt M16 BCG on my midlength carbine, I've been using it with my standard buffer for over three years now without any problems (YMMV).

Even with the carbine gas systems that I had been using for more than 23 years now, I was lucky and never had any problems using the standard carbine buffers.

Link Posted: 2/21/2009 3:00:10 PM EDT
[#10]
Its a Saber Defense Upper that came complete with their BCG, unfortionatly they only sell semi BCG's.  I will put a BCM MPI carrier in it when they have them in stock.
Link Posted: 2/22/2009 7:00:08 AM EDT
[#11]
So, would all H-H3 buffers cycle reliably, with the H2 and H3 just cycling slower?  What instance would warrant an H3 over an H and visa versa?
Link Posted: 2/22/2009 9:00:35 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

what ammo are you shooting?
Link Posted: 2/22/2009 9:02:34 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
So, would all H-H3 buffers cycle reliably, with the H2 and H3 just cycling slower?  What instance would warrant an H3 over an H and visa versa?

ammo, gas length, barrel length all come into play.  also if you go pistol/blowback you may want more mass.  f/a - the heavier mass will slow down the rate of fire.
Link Posted: 2/22/2009 9:14:14 AM EDT
[#14]
I've seen recommendation to put 9mm buffer on car to soften the recoil of 5.56 cal. Is this correct or generally use what works?
Link Posted: 2/22/2009 3:57:50 PM EDT
[#15]
So my question is WHO introduced the various "H" Carbine Buffers and why?

(I suspect it might have to do with a FA application and done by Colt or FN, but don't know that for sure...)

Also does anyone know WHERE to get  replacement plastic pads for Buffers?
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top