Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 9/2/2004 2:25:08 PM EDT
i got an amd type gas piston for my feg sa85m ak clone. when i take the carrier and gas piston out to eye ball both pistons i see that the pin holding the piston to the carrier will have to go through the new piston. the problem is there is no hole in the tapco piston for the pin to go through. what is going on? can anyone post pics to help me out? thanks
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 2:53:11 PM EDT
[#1]
You have to drill a hole thru the New piston. Have fun, Just broke 1 drillbit today doing the same thing,  Tapco  Piston is Stainless. Go slow!  Thread new piston in all the way and then back out 1/3 rd turn then drill
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 3:49:33 PM EDT
[#2]
are there any pistons that are true drop in parts? why do they leave out info like that when they sell their products?
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 4:04:04 PM EDT
[#3]
It's not hard to drill stainless.  The trick is to use a cutting lube and go SLOW with pressure.  If they came already drilled, I am not sure that they could guarantee them lining up right with your bolt carrier.
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 4:07:19 PM EDT
[#4]
One word of advice, some S.S. will work harden and if you go fast, then stop, you may never drill through once you start again. The words written previously are wise, lot's of lube, go slow, and go steady 'till through.
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 4:22:51 PM EDT
[#5]
i don't have a drill press. is this something i could do with a hand drill?what kind of lube are you talking about? sorry for the dumb ? i am new to working on anything.
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 5:31:52 PM EDT
[#6]
I wouldn't attempt without a press, round metal that can roll + moving sharp things = afternoon filling out insurance forms

I think the lube they are referancing is oil, I've cut metal with a saw-z-all just using plain engine oil.
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 4:36:35 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
are there any pistons that are true drop in parts? why do they leave out info like that when they sell their products?

That is impossible.
Every carrier is different, the only way around it is to leave the piston undrilled, then drill it when it is indexed properly in your particular carrier.
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 5:53:22 AM EDT
[#8]
The lube I was referring to was, specifically, Anchor Lube.  It is the lube that we use at work when drilling stainless.  It comes in a bottle and is kind of greenish colored, lots thicker than oil.  Otherwise I would probably use Tap Magic.
Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top