Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 2/24/2007 4:23:13 AM EDT
anyone have any suggestions on a good blue to use on a yugo kit?  looking for something is easy to apply and looks good and will hold up well.  thanks guys.
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 6:51:45 AM EDT
[#1]
If you are on a budget,  I would just blast and paint.  Cold blue are all the same, they will leave your gun smelling like egg.  If you have some extra cash,  bring it to a smith for a hot blue bath.  It will look like it came from the factory after the bath.
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 2:28:51 PM EDT
[#2]
like egg  is this just an initial smell or something that lingers??
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 3:23:28 PM EDT
[#3]
All cold blue will leave the metal with a Permanent Egg smell,  It will not go away ever. I have tried them all and they are all the same.

Brownells sells a rust blue called Mark Lee.  It works very well, no egg smell, but it leaves a thin rust film that you will have to card off with a soft wire brush,  basically impossible to get in tight places, like inside of a receiver. It is also like $20 a bottle or so. You can try this, I have had excellent results on flat areas that are easy to card.

Best way to finsih is #1. balst and paint   #2 Blast and Park  or  #3 give it a hot blue bath.  Or I guess you could blast, park and then paint.

Link Posted: 2/24/2007 7:33:50 PM EDT
[#4]
I did a Yugo M70 build last year with an NDS 5 receiver. After the build I cold blued it.
I used a product call "Super Blue" on the reciever.

I blasted the receiver to bare steel and then used a 8" cotton wheel on a 1 hp bench grinder to polish the outsides. Then I riveted it together and did the build.
Then I deoiled it to w/i an inch of it's life. Scrubbed it down inside and out with brake cleaner and finally an acetone bath and blew it dry.

Then I swabbed on the Super Blue. It darkens the steel instantly. Just swab it on all over and into the nooks and crannies. Let it sit 5-10 minutes and do it again and then again. I believe I did mine three or four times. Then wipe it off and oil it all over. The next day there will be a little reddish spooge here and  there. Don't worry , it wipes off. Oil it all over again. Now you're done.

I also used it to touch up the bluing on the rest of the rifle. It had about 90% finish to begin with so it was pretty good.

The actual assembly and finish of the build took five hours. Photo below. The Superblue made the receiver darn near as dark as the stock bluing. So far, it still looks great.

Link Posted: 2/24/2007 8:47:12 PM EDT
[#5]
i use OXPHO-BLUE from Brownells

Link Posted: 2/25/2007 4:58:26 AM EDT
[#6]
+1 for Oxpho-blue I used it on a yugo sks. It goes right through any oil residue. You have to due a few times but,works really well. Hey Nails what underfolder is that?
Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top