Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 10/27/2003 5:21:06 PM EDT
i have been thinking of what to do with the 7.62 saiga i bought 2 months ago(still unfired).  the bulgy AK-104 gas block/sight and the HOBO flash hider.  i have been thinking of leaving the standard buttstock on it after registering it as an SBR.  if i do that i should be able to have the treaded AK-104 gas block and HOBO, correct?  then next year if the ban sunsets i will do the pistol grip conversion on it.  since SBR's are't required to have a certain parts count the hi-cap conversion could be done right away also.  has anybody thought of this or done it.  if you have done it, please post some pics.

thanks
Link Posted: 10/27/2003 5:32:21 PM EDT
[#1]
I guess that's all pretty correct, except that the HOBO would have to be permanantly attached.  Threads are an evil feature by themselves, unfortunately.  

That said, it would be one odd looking duck.  Why not have the full conversion done with a perm brake added instead of the HOBO, then after the ban have it changed out?

Then you could have a darned cool SBR both before and after.  
Link Posted: 10/27/2003 5:41:01 PM EDT
[#2]
Sounds pretty correct to me too.

Not sure about the threaded muzzle and HOBO though.

How does it work out that Springfield Armory Inc. still has a threaded muzzle (it is considered the muzzle that is threaded) and a flash hider.

I’ve been thinking of building a 104 on SA 85M and just keeping the thumbhole stock on it until next September and therefore having the threaded front sight base and HOBO

Best regards, J
Link Posted: 10/27/2003 6:04:40 PM EDT
[#3]
JTR, unfortunately butthole stocks are at this time considered pistol grips, so the SA85 thing wouldn't work in that case.  
Link Posted: 10/27/2003 11:13:29 PM EDT
[#4]
Not to provoke another debate about 2nd Amendment laws/gun bans and what not, but can you cite an ATF letter (I'm assuming that's where this nugget of crap came from) that says the buttholes are pistol grips?

Just wanted for personal reference...

Thank you!
Link Posted: 10/28/2003 12:42:07 AM EDT
[#5]
I thought the buttholes were not considered pistol grip stocks, that’s the point, to be sporting where a pistol grip is not.
Link Posted: 10/28/2003 4:11:33 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 10/28/2003 5:46:33 AM EDT
[#7]
T-hole as an evil feature and not just towards the parts count (both butt and grip)?
Link Posted: 10/28/2003 9:04:41 AM EDT
[#8]
the threaded muzzle on the saiga would work because there is no pistol grip.  detachable mag (1)  threaded muzzle makes (2) evil features.  that's the same reason the M1A's have FH also.  i was thinking of doing it this way because i would rather not weld on the gas block and then worry about damaging it next sept if the ban sunsets.  the PG conversion can be done in a couple of hours then next sept.  yes it would look a little strange for a bit, but if the ban doesn't leave i can just weld a muzzle brake and do the PG conversion then.  time to start buying parts, then i'll make up my mind.  thanks for the input guys.
Link Posted: 10/28/2003 10:59:13 AM EDT
[#9]
that's messed up, but then so are a lot of other things
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top