Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Yugoslavian & Serbian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 12/13/2005 9:55:34 AM EDT
I decided to get one of these underfolders, they're cool.  Came in yesterday, had to get to the range this morning, well, because.  DC Industries Inc. receiver, slant brake, bayonet, and a host of other accessories.  

Observations:  right out of the box, I liked the fit and finish.  (Understand that my previous total experience with AK's was my AWB compliant SAR1.  My opinion might be somewhat skewed by that)  The handguards appear to be barely finished, well sanded, no heavy varnish.  The pistol grip appears to be original, not the cheapy from my SAR.  Useless grenade launching sight folds flat along top of handguard.  Several parts appear serial numbered, none of them match.  

Incluided in the box were two 30 rd mags.  (My Romy had a 10 rounder)  One of the two mags, appeared to be original Yugo, with the square rear of the follower that catches the bolt when empty.  The other of indeterminate origin with the standard follower.  The second mag had several deeply rusted spots on it.  After cleaning up the mag, it appears okay, if pitted, but I was unhappy with the rust.

Bonus: the rifle came with a leather sling, with the name FAHEL scratched deeply into it.  I haven't in the past named any of my rifles, but as long as that dosen't somehow translate to "kill Aericans" or some such crap I guess my rifle has a name.  Anybody have any idea?  Appears to be Roman upper case lettering, not Cyrilic.

Range this morning, (oh by the way.... by, by, Tookie, here's a couple for you.)  Cloudy, no real wind, 23 degrees, several inches of snow on the ground.  I fired three shots at 50yds offhand to get some idea where it would shoot.  I was rewarded with a 1 1/2 inch group at the left side of my 5.5 inch shoot-n-see.  Near the bottom edge of the black, right where I was holding elevation wise.  I tapped the front sight a couple times with a brass hammer and got it centered.  At a houndred yards offhand it was able to hold shots in the black.  Good enough for me.  No failures of any kind.  Oh, I had to try, functions perfectly with stock folded.

Overall impression: I LIKE IT.  My appreciation of AK's has gone up considerably.   I like the underfolder, it seems correct to me.  Maybe not as practical as the newer sidefolders, but it was my money.  The stock was sturdy enough that I was able to shoot effectively.  Icy cheekweld, not the best for a wintertime gun.  This gun will not replace my RRA middy.  But it will not become a safe queen.

Link Posted: 12/13/2005 9:59:28 AM EDT
[#1]
Is this one of the new century built guns with new barrel for around $400?? Pics??
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 10:25:38 AM EDT
[#2]
Yup, I had been looking at underfolders but didn't want to take the plunge.  These are pretty nice.
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 4:30:20 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 3:51:23 PM EDT
[#4]
I just picked up one today.  It looks pretty good.  Im looking foward to taking it out
Mine came with a sling, an ak bayonet and a cetme bayonet.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 4:59:06 PM EDT
[#5]
Rayno, the break on mine looks like it was pinned. Was your break hard to unscew and does your rifle have the ZASTAVA marking on the trunion block?

Thanks
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 8:41:01 PM EDT
[#6]
slant brake just screwed off, no pin.  I didn't see any marking on the trunnion block
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 8:47:11 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 9:39:20 PM EDT
[#8]
LOL

Thanks!
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 10:05:28 AM EDT
[#9]
The I picked up has the CZ logo under the rear sight.  The other two that I saw did not.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 10:10:47 AM EDT
[#10]
I am jealous!!!
I have been looking for a nice under-folder.
Nice find btw!
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 2:09:52 PM EDT
[#11]
Page AK-47 » Yugoslavian & Serbian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top