Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 10/5/2009 5:46:34 PM EST
I ordered a top cover from apex, and received it today - it doesnt fit my m70. It looks a LOT thicker than the current top cover but it has more meat on the left side of it which is whats causing it to not fit.

Is it a lot of work to shave these down with a dremel to make fit on a stamped m70?
Link Posted: 10/5/2009 6:01:34 PM EST
Probably a milled receiver top cover. They are thicker material and lack the notch for the bulged trunnion.

Milled cover on top, stamped on the bottom:

A few minutes with a dremel and it'll work.
Link Posted: 10/6/2009 12:45:46 PM EST
Neat, didn't know they made milled top covers.
Link Posted: 10/6/2009 2:01:19 PM EST
Mine has some bad pitting and is missing some bluing but other than that its not bent or anything.

I cant afford to get the gun finished but maybe I could spring to reblue or try to cold blue this top cover?

The milled cover is substantially beefier :D.
Link Posted: 10/6/2009 2:12:20 PM EST
If this is for a Century build, try aluma-hyde for a durable, easy to apply finish. I've used it numerous times with excellent results.

Otherwise, oxpho-blue is a great cold blue product, my personal favorite. Don't know how well it will match a parked rifle however.
Link Posted: 10/6/2009 3:47:23 PM EST
Originally Posted By Liquidmetal:
If this is for a Century build, try aluma-hyde for a durable, easy to apply finish. I've used it numerous times with excellent results.

Otherwise, oxpho-blue is a great cold blue product, my personal favorite. Don't know how well it will match a parked rifle however.

Nice! I will have to get some of that alumahyde since its a century...the grey parkerizing will probably match it 99%. First I have to grind this thing down, which I plan to do once I get my handguards finished.
Link Posted: 10/9/2009 5:29:34 PM EST
[Last Edit: 10/9/2009 8:15:13 PM EST by Blindeye_03]
I dremeled some off the cover where it looks like it was hanging up on (its got too much material on the left side). Well its almost there and I cant figure out what to shave off to get it to fit...

I finally got it! I took just a tad too much off the bottom left side but its not nearly as bad as the one I got with the rifle. I had to take some material off the front of the cover, and it fits tiiiiiiigggghht! Definately a good thing.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 6:46:35 AM EST
There are tons of ways to finish something, but the best thing to do is stop the oxidation. I have a rust away that I use to get rid of rust. But without some sort of rust prevention (oil works) it will rust again. Find a local build group, many have metal refinishing figured out to some level. We do Duracoating quite a bit, but even do parkerizing and blueing. If you can't do that, just get the rust stopped and the metal oiled until you can.
Top Top