Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Yugoslavian & Serbian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 10/5/2009 6:46:34 PM EDT
I ordered a top cover from apex, and received it today - it doesnt fit my m70. It looks a LOT thicker than the current top cover but it has more meat on the left side of it which is whats causing it to not fit.

Is it a lot of work to shave these down with a dremel to make fit on a stamped m70?
Link Posted: 10/5/2009 7:01:34 PM EDT
[#1]
Probably a milled receiver top cover.  They are thicker material and lack the notch for the bulged trunnion.

Milled cover on top, stamped on the bottom:

A few minutes with a dremel and it'll work.

Link Posted: 10/6/2009 1:45:46 PM EDT
[#2]
Neat, didn't know they made milled top covers.
Link Posted: 10/6/2009 3:01:19 PM EDT
[#3]
Mine has some bad pitting and is missing some bluing but other than that its not bent or anything.

I cant afford to get the gun finished but maybe I could spring to reblue or try to cold blue this top cover?

The milled cover is substantially beefier :D.
Link Posted: 10/6/2009 3:12:20 PM EDT
[#4]
If this is for a Century build, try aluma-hyde for a durable, easy to apply finish.  I've used it numerous times with excellent results.

Otherwise, oxpho-blue is a great cold blue product, my personal favorite.  Don't know how well it will match a parked rifle however.

Link Posted: 10/6/2009 4:47:23 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
If this is for a Century build, try aluma-hyde for a durable, easy to apply finish.  I've used it numerous times with excellent results.

Otherwise, oxpho-blue is a great cold blue product, my personal favorite.  Don't know how well it will match a parked rifle however.  

Nice! I will have to get some of that alumahyde since its a century...the grey parkerizing will probably match it 99%.  First I have to grind this thing down, which I plan to do once I get my handguards finished.
Link Posted: 10/9/2009 6:29:34 PM EDT
[#6]
I dremeled some off the cover where it looks like it was hanging up on (its got too much material on the left side). Well its almost there and I cant figure out what to shave off to get it to fit...  

I finally got it! I took just a tad too much off the bottom left side but its not nearly as bad as the one I got with the rifle. I had to take some material off the front of the cover, and it fits tiiiiiiigggghht! Definately a good thing.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 7:46:35 AM EDT
[#7]
There are tons of ways to finish something, but the best thing to do is stop the oxidation.  I have a rust away that I use to get rid of rust.  But without some sort of rust prevention (oil works) it will rust again.  Find a local build group, many have metal refinishing figured out to some level.  We do Duracoating quite a bit, but even do parkerizing and blueing.  If you can't do that, just get the rust stopped and the metal oiled until you can.  
Page AK-47 » Yugoslavian & Serbian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top