Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 8/31/2003 8:36:46 AM EDT
I'm having a problem with an AMD65 build. I welded the receiver, and the first testfire broke the welds. The mags(Polish)slipped in and out just fine. I had the old welds tig welded this time; 4 spots on rear trunnion, 4 spots on front trunnion. Went to test fire and had trouble getting mag to snap in. After firing, had to beat on mag release to get mag out. Welds held, but wtf happened with the magwell? How do I fix this? I know you are supposed to mod the cheapest parts first, which in this case means the magazines, but that means that possibly they won't be usable in other AK's. So I was thinking that I could file to fit the front trunnion where the front of the mag snaps over the ledge. This way the mags can be changed between AK's, and it shouldn't really screw up the gun itself. Any thoughts on this are welcome.
Link Posted: 9/1/2003 5:09:03 AM EDT
Link Posted: 9/1/2003 11:44:30 AM EDT
how many mags do you have for the gun, i also built a AMD 65 & like my mags to fit snug, i noticed in the 8 magazines i have ( same military manufacture ) they all fit differant ( some loose other really tight ) check other magazine if you only have 1 or 2 to judge, i would not modify the front trunion but instead lenghten the rear of the mag well where the mag catch & mag plate is you should be able to remove enough material to allow all your mags to fit & not change the critical fit of the front trunion
Link Posted: 9/1/2003 12:07:01 PM EDT
sounds like your trunion moved when you re-welded it.
Link Posted: 9/1/2003 10:25:32 PM EDT
Well, I found the problem. After the 1st testfire, I substituted a us made pistol grip for the original. The ori. grips are made of a teflon like material and feel greasy all the time. Evidentiatly the us grip tightens down at a slightly different angle than the original, causing the trigger guard to press forward just enough to put pressure on the mags. Changed back to original, end of problem.
Link Posted: 9/2/2003 3:31:07 AM EDT
Link Posted: 9/9/2003 2:00:23 PM EDT
On my last 2 builds both the mag wells have been tight on the front back and sides.I took a chainsaw sharpening stone for a Dremel and shaved the sides a little then whittled on the latch work great now. 5 minutes with a Dremel and you should be good to go.That Tiag torch gets a little hot it may have warped things a little.Thats one of the reasons I dont like welding on guns.If a person doesnt know what hes doing he can fubar stuff up really quick.A jewelers Tiag would be just the ticket for that kind of stuff but they are spendy they tell me.
Top Top