Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 12/21/2003 5:04:09 PM EDT
ok..i got a 100 round chi drum that loads from the rear..
so what in thinking is i wanted to build a ak hand gun.
first off i know i cant chop down a rifle with out the NFA tax.
so what i want to do is build from a new striped reciver (were do i buy one?)

next i need a short barrel in 7.62x39(were to get one?)campy said in chat something about a aks-47u?(sorry i dont know much about ak's)

and who do i have put the barrel on for me..i have read all the how to posts but i dont think i can do it my self.

also i WILL permenty mount the drum, so as i read the AW and NFA laws i think i can do it with out any nfa tax..is that correct?

next question..do i still have to (with perm mag)use us made parts?

and can i put a flash hider on it?

anyone know of a builder that can mount the barrel and drum with out killing my pocket book?

thanks
ray
Link Posted: 12/22/2003 5:07:42 AM EDT
[#1]
You can't put a flash hider on until the federal AWB sunsets...also even if the AWB sunsets you still have to check your local state laws, for example, NY state has its own AWB laws that wont sunset ...If you want to build yourself a nice Krink, i'd suggest you get one of the guys from here to do it for you.  They are professionals and you will get a pro looking Krinkov.  Its worth it.
Link Posted: 12/22/2003 3:45:00 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
You can't put a flash hider on until the federal AWB sunsets...also even if the AWB sunsets you still have to check your local state laws, for example, NY state has its own AWB laws that wont sunset ...If you want to build yourself a nice Krink, i'd suggest you get one of the guys from here to do it for you.  They are professionals and you will get a pro looking Krinkov.  Its worth it.

hmm..i might be wrong but i thought if the mag was perm pined in place then the AW laws do not apply to it?
also WI doesnt have any AW laws so no worries about the state thing
Link Posted: 12/23/2003 4:13:31 AM EDT
[#3]
Yes, your right, the magazine drum has to be welded in for a krinkov.    

For Krinkov supplies...
www.k-var.com
Link Posted: 12/26/2003 5:04:01 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 12/28/2003 8:09:18 AM EDT
[#5]
Make sure the 4473 Form says PISTOL not long gun or rifle when yoy buy it.
One can make a pistol into a rifle, but not the reverse.
If you roll your own, no problemo.
Link Posted: 12/28/2003 7:31:46 PM EDT
[#6]
using "Krink" parts is going to cost a lot of money. Have you considered using a short barrel parts kit like the AMD65(12 inch barrel) the front trunnion is still on the barrel, so you could just weld the receiver to the trunnion, using the rivit stubs to align everything. Then weld the drum to the receiver, and weld the rear trunnion in place. save lots of money in build fees. Just my .02 cents worth. I'm building a similar gun, in 7.62X25mm, using a AMD65 7.62X39 barrel with chamber adaptor, Bulgy 5.45 front trunnion, stenparts 1/8th inch weldpak receiver, Suomi 71 rd drum mag, bulgy 5.45 bolt & carrier.
              OJF
Link Posted: 12/28/2003 7:34:19 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

i thought a striper reciver was not a pistol or a rifle untill you build it?
Link Posted: 12/28/2003 7:35:36 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
using "Krink" parts is going to cost a lot of money. Have you considered using a short barrel parts kit like the AMD65(12 inch barrel) the front trunnion is still on the barrel, so you could just weld the receiver to the trunnion, using the rivit stubs to align everything. Then weld the drum to the receiver, and weld the rear trunnion in place. save lots of money in build fees. Just my .02 cents worth. I'm building a similar gun, in 7.62X25mm, using a AMD65 7.62X39 barrel with chamber adaptor, Bulgy 5.45 front trunnion, stenparts 1/8th inch weldpak receiver, Suomi 71 rd drum mag, bulgy 5.45 bolt & carrier.
              OJF

hmmm..haden thought of that..like i said i dont know ak's to much
Link Posted: 12/28/2003 7:56:18 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

i thought a striper reciver was not a pistol or a rifle untill you build it?

If you're using a manufactured serialed receiver. When the 4473 is signed there is a line that asks for rifle or handgun.
If you are building a handgun, put that on the 4473.
If it is not declared a pistol but as a rifle. and a handgun is built from the receiver,
it then becomes a short barreled rifle when traced to the 4473.
If you declare it a pistol on the 4473 you can make either a rifle or pistol. If traced back to the 4473 form as a pistol no problem. If traced back to the 4473 as a rifle no problem.
Again if you roll your own no problem.
It is only with a serialized receiver purchased through an FFL that this is required.
Link Posted: 12/28/2003 8:01:56 PM EDT
[#10]
ahh thanks for the info..il do that
Link Posted: 12/28/2003 8:18:08 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
ahh thanks for the info..il do that

I know things like this are a pain in the butt.
I thought it would be best to CYA if the alphabet boys ever got involved.
I'll guarantee the average field agent doesn't know a receiver from a railroad tie. But they can read if there are pictures to look at, along with the little letter things on the paper.
Link Posted: 12/28/2003 8:22:59 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
              OJF

Are you pre-heating the weld pack to prevent any warp? Are you using a TIG or MIG?
I'm ready to start on my project and were wondering how you are doing the welds.
Link Posted: 12/29/2003 6:09:54 AM EDT
[#13]
I'm not doing the welding as I don't know how. A friend will do it. I figured tig would be the best way of doing it. Why would it need to be preheated?
                OJF
Link Posted: 12/29/2003 6:34:37 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
I'm not doing the welding as I don't know how. A friend will do it. I figured tig would be the best way of doing it. Why would it need to be preheated?
                OJF

The welder has advised me to pre-heat to 350 to 400 degrees to prevent warping.
His experience in welding thin metals is extensive in his job.
Since he is 1000 miles away now and is not available to do welding for me I have been getting his advise.
I was wondering if your experiences has been successful without the preheat.
What does your welder say?
Link Posted: 12/29/2003 6:33:14 PM EDT
[#15]
Well, I'll ask him this friday when I see him again. He welded my stamped receiver without preheating, so I assume that the weldpak receiver, which is .125 thousands thick Vs the stamped .040 thousands, would not require it.
Now the 1st guy who welded my stamped receiver with mig welding, which welds broke by the way when I test fired, was a pro, and he didn't mention preheating. My friend who is an amateur welder, tig welded the stamped receiver, and it has held up to 500-600 rds so far. He's amatuer, but only because he has a different vocation. His skill level is far superior to the average welder I'v seen in these parts. He builds hotrods for a hobby, and has a garage better equipted than most professional shops.
                OJF
Link Posted: 12/29/2003 6:57:01 PM EDT
[#16]
Thanks OJF I'll keep in touch
gunny
Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top