Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Magazines
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 12/21/2005 11:52:40 AM EDT
All,
I ordered two $49 sets of four Yugo mags from Centerfire Systems.  Their ad did not give the condition and each set was to be accompanied by a mag pouch.  What I got were 8 mags which I would rate as fair and two new EG raindrop four mag pouches.  The box they came in smelled like an arsenal that had been closed for 30 years.  The musty smell mixed with the odor of Cosmoline is a smell I like.  All the mags were covered with Cosmoline inside and out, along with dirt, grass, and seeds.  I graded the mags as best I could from best to worst.  All mags have spots of blue missing as if it were removed by a chemical.  I started cleaning the worst first.   The following is a description of the first 4 mags which I have cleaned:
1.  Floor plate bent -  minor rust on the right side – spring has minor corrosion on the
      lower 3 or 4 turns – follower well used.
2.  Floor plate bent – Spring has minor corrosion on right side of lower 3 or 4 turns -
      follower well used.
3.  Follower well used.
4.  Floor plate rusted on inside – spring retainer rusted on bottom – spring has minor
     corrosion on the lower 3 or 4 turns.  Note.  I remover the rust and painted inside of
     the floor plate and the bottom of the spring retainer.

That is what I have found so far.  What are your comments?
Thanks,
Sparky1
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 2:22:57 PM EDT
[#1]
just take your regular mags and gring the little bumps off inside the mages and you get the same results i have done five of them and it works just fine
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 5:38:14 PM EDT
[#2]
I ordered two Yugo mags from Centerfire Systems that were advertised as being in "Excellent" condition. What I received was more like good to fair condition.
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 2:31:18 AM EDT
[#3]
The final four,
I have completed the cleaning and oiling of the final 4 of my 8 mags.  The only problem was that one of the last 4 had several rust spots on the right side of the mag body.  This mag could be sanded and pained to look and function like new.  All in all I may have paid three of four dollars more for these mags than I would have for common European mags and the grade was somewhat lower.  However I now have 8 good usable Yugo mags with hold open followers.  If I sand and paint all the mags I will have 8 mags that are in excellent condition.  Was it worth it, well I am a magaholic so at least its 8 good usable mags I can put in the stack.

Good Luck,
Sparky1  
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 9:28:12 AM EDT
[#4]
I bought a four pack from Centerfire in October.  One mag was in great condition but I made the mistake of putting naval jelly on it, stripped the finish off so it now looks like some hippies got a hold of it and tried to tie dye it.  The second one had some small rust spots and the adhesive backing of a huge piece of tape on it, but cleaned up pretty well.  I haven't cleaned the other two yet, but one is almost brand new, finish is all there, very little cosmoline, no scrapes on the follower, might have been inserted into a rifle, and it has some weird holes drilled in it but otherwise is perfect.  The last one is obviously used but will be functional.  All in all a good buy in my opinion.
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 6:07:49 PM EDT
[#5]
Pomo,
You can make that tie dye mag like new with a little Rust-Oleum.  Take the mag apart and sand body and floor plate with 240 grit paper.  To remove all the oil and grit, spray the body and floor plate with carb cleaner two or three times.  Make sure the body and floor plate are oil free.  Make a stand from a coat hanger.  Spray the outside of the  body and floor plate with three light coats of flat black Rust-Oleum.  Place the stand with mag and floor plate in oven and bring mag up to 300F over 40 min.  Turn off oven and let the mag and floor plate cool in the oven.  Your mag should now look like new!
Good Luck,
Sparky1  
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 10:11:46 PM EDT
[#6]
Sparky1, does that technique hold up to solvents like Hoppes or polishing substances like M.A.A.S.? Would it work on an entire gun that needs some kinda finish?
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 1:03:37 AM EDT
[#7]
Q,
The only thing I have ever had to use after paint is an oil based cleaner like Break Free or G96.  The paint works well with those cleaners.  My guess is that any cleaners that are paint solvents will take it off.  If mag gets really dirty, place it in boiling water to clean it.  Take it out of the water and it will dry in less than five minutes.  Spray with G96 and your back in service.  I painted a mag ten years ago and it is still going strong.  I have a SS rifle that I painted years ago and when it gets a scratch I use steel wool and repaint the area so the gun always looks like new.  Rust-Oleum will work well on that old gun.  It is easy redo an area that is rough or has a run in it.  When finished the firearm will look like you had a pro finish it.  It is not as good as the high end finishes but the price will be less than $3.  It's a 1000% better than blue if looks are not your thing.  In my case I like the flat black look.  It's the look of victory!  "Palma"
Good Luck,
Sparky1
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 9:45:50 AM EDT
[#8]
Sparky1,

I have an old lever gun I picked up dirt cheap (not a collectable). It had a beat up stock and no blueing, all worn off. I test fired it and got a .4" group at 50 yards. For a .30-30 that is more than acceptable. So I got it, refinished the stock, but tried Birchwood Casey cold blue and it failed.

What is/where can I get Rust-Oleum and G96? Thank you for all the help!
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 11:12:55 AM EDT
[#9]
Q,
G96 is a gun cleaner and oil that you can get from most gun stores.  If they don't have it they can order it.  Get the spray can it lasts a long time and it smells good also.  You can get Rust-Oleum at most hardware stores or if all else fails they have it a Walmart.  I like flat black but it comes in many colors.
Good Luck,
Sparky1
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 11:37:51 AM EDT
[#10]
One last thing- there is no way the whole barreled action will fit in my oven. Can I leave the oven door open and cook the front part of the barrel first, then do the other half? Will it work and will it be safe?

Thanks again Sparky1,
Q-gunner2
Page AK-47 » Magazines
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top