AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 7/12/2003 6:34:27 PM EDT
Subject line says it all.
I want the best AK clone.
Give me your opinions.
Link Posted: 7/12/2003 10:00:04 PM EDT
[#1]
I think Krebs is pretty high up there, of course I'm biased...
Link Posted: 7/12/2003 11:06:35 PM EDT
[#2]
Yeah, pretty hard to beat a good custom AK. I've seen very good things from Krebs. Also will put in a plug for Rapid Fire Ohio, saw an example of his work at a gunshow today south of Seattle. Very very nice, tight weapon. I can only hope my AKMS will turn out anything like that :)

As for a stock weapon, I'd go for an Arsenal made Bulgie or a nice pre-ban Polytech Legend or Legend underfolder.
Link Posted: 7/12/2003 11:34:33 PM EDT
[#3]
I was nothing but impressed with the accuracy of my Krebs AK103K.

AND, its short and evil looking
Link Posted: 7/13/2003 4:23:40 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted: Also will put in a plug for Rapid Fire Ohio, saw an example of his work at a gunshow today south of Seattle. Very very nice, tight weapon. I can only hope my AKMS will turn out anything like that :)

Thanks RG!

Mike
Link Posted: 7/13/2003 5:10:27 AM EDT
[#5]
let's not forget chris at www.ak-103.com
Link Posted: 7/13/2003 6:18:01 AM EDT
[#6]
another vote for Ohio Rapid Fire, i love my ORF-74, and soon will have an ORF Krinkov.
Me223, that Krink almost done?
Link Posted: 7/13/2003 6:57:16 AM EDT
[#7]
Ohio Rapid Fire kicks ass...  I took a chance around six months ago on these guys... ponied up $800 for a Krinkov.  Let me tell you, worth every penny and Mike (Me223) is simply the best.

I also have a Bulgie 74 built by Troy Sellers of Inrange.  Let me tell you, anybody who says an AK is shit compared to an AR has never seen a properly built AK.  Fit and finish is on par with any Bushmaster, rock solid, very accurate and cheap beyond words to shoot.

My next build is going to be trusted to a local manufacturer who builds machine guns for police agencies.  He will build one for $150 including refinish, build, test and tweaking if needed.  I want to see how his work will measure up to these fellows above.
Link Posted: 7/13/2003 7:32:02 AM EDT
[#8]
While I am sure it is not the quality of a custom build, I have been completely satisfied with my VEPR II from Robinson Arms.  
Link Posted: 7/13/2003 7:58:23 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
While I am sure it is not the quality of a custom build, I have been completely satisfied with my VEPR II from Robinson Arms.  

The VEPR is an excellent weapon, and can be had quite reasonably.  My only dislikes of it are, it is not s true AK design, it is like some new fangled improvement that wasn't needed.  Just really funky looking.

On the other hand, the heavier RPK receiver helps aid in reducing recoil and allows faster follow-up shots.  They were smart in using an RPK rear sight, adjustable for both windage and elevation.  The damn things are accurate as hell and I've seen a 20 inch .223 VEPR shoot as well as an 20 inch AR.
Link Posted: 7/13/2003 8:20:54 AM EDT
[#10]
I would add the SAM-7/S to the above.  To my untrained eye, I can see little fit-finish difference between the SAM-7 and a Krebs AK.
Link Posted: 7/13/2003 11:00:45 AM EDT
[#11]
I would go with Chris at AKUSA he does an excellent job.

www.ak-103.com
Link Posted: 7/13/2003 12:15:09 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted: Also will put in a plug for Rapid Fire Ohio, saw an example of his work at a gunshow today south of Seattle. Very very nice, tight weapon. I can only hope my AKMS will turn out anything like that :)

Thanks RG!

Mike

The only reason you've yet to see my mug and CC# for buisness is the Army has still yet to make good on the $2400 of my enlistment bonus. I'm still very much yearning for the Krink w/the fake suppressor.
Link Posted: 7/13/2003 12:22:25 PM EDT
[#13]
EX11B,

Which one is yours? The 5.45? If so, K-Var F#%&ed us on our order. Said they had everything in stock and when the stuff got here, the rear trunions were missing. they put a note in that they will follow "shortly". Two-three weeks at last word.

Or maybe yours is the transferable underfolder AK47 I am converting to a Krink! Can't wait to test fire that one!

Mike
Link Posted: 7/13/2003 2:48:11 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
EX11B,

Which one is yours? The 5.45? If so, K-Var F#%&ed us on our order. Said they had everything in stock and when the stuff got here, the rear trunions were missing. they put a note in that they will follow "shortly". Two-three weeks at last word.

Or maybe yours is the transferable underfolder AK47 I am converting to a Krink! Can't wait to test fire that one!

Mike

just my luck, mine is the 5.45, damn was hoping to have it for vacation shooting.'
not your fault.
Link Posted: 7/13/2003 3:40:33 PM EDT
[#15]
I do have a lead on possibly getting the trunions from another source. I'll keep you posted.

Mike
Link Posted: 7/13/2003 3:47:13 PM EDT
[#16]
I have no idea, but I'd get it from Red Star Arms!!1

www.redstararms.com/index.htm?catalog.htm&1

Miss. RSA.................mmmmmmmmmmmmm

Link Posted: 7/13/2003 4:00:22 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
I do have a lead on possibly getting the trunions from another source. I'll keep you posted.

Mike

that would be awsome
Link Posted: 7/13/2003 4:37:24 PM EDT
[#18]
AKUSA AK103
Link Posted: 7/13/2003 5:19:31 PM EDT
[#19]
Green18
That is a good looking rifle
like the green furniture (looks od green in the pic)
I think you sold me
What was the aproximate damage on that fine piece if I may ask
Link Posted: 7/13/2003 6:37:07 PM EDT
[#20]
I have a AK-USA AK-103 with plum and it is NICE. I really like it and the finish. It is 100% all the time no failures in 3,000 rounds except when it ate a buffertech buffer and it got wedged in the reciever rails every other shot... worked fine after I figured out what the hell was going on  
Link Posted: 7/13/2003 6:45:01 PM EDT
[#21]
That's it, my next one is going to be an OD jobber...  I have an extra kit sitting around here and that is just too purty!
Link Posted: 7/13/2003 7:47:30 PM EDT
[#22]
AKUSA

Check out the gallery for 72 reasons to go with AK USA:)  Chris has build prices posted, and will work with ya for something unique.  I've got a 101 and a Polish in the works.

take care,
Tec

disclaimer: I do their WWW site, but I tell it like it is..
Link Posted: 7/14/2003 1:40:29 PM EDT
[#23]
Chris is the man!
Troy at INrange is also da man!
Link Posted: 7/14/2003 6:45:35 PM EDT
[#24]
I'm a AK47 wannabe (i.e. don't have one yet).  How much do AK-USA's AK103s and Global Trades SSR-56s cost?
Link Posted: 7/14/2003 9:24:36 PM EDT
[#25]
My vote goes Ohio Rapid Fire.  

For an AK, FAL, G3, or any rifle in that series, they are damn near impossible to beat.

I have a parked ORF FAL, which almost EVERYONE thinks is a DSA STG58, until they read the markings on the side.

My ORF AK 47, is damn near perfect.  Many people at the last shoot asked if it was a 900 krebs gun...many of whos jaws dropped when they found out it was a 470 dollar moly coated ORF AK.  Most people expect me to say it cost double what it really did.  And, the damn thing is accurate.  Needed no sight adjustment at all.  Dead on, right from ORF.  Was shooting at the "pit" in Ottawa with a max range of 150 yards, and was hitting everything I aimed at, despite the short sight radius (orf's aks have a slightly shorter barrel length).

I plan on collecting a few more ORF rifles in the future.  A G3, krink, and a FAL carbine sound very inviting.  They are too good to type about.  You must see one to fully understand how awesome they are.  And the price tag makes it just that much better.

Scott
Link Posted: 7/15/2003 1:55:30 AM EDT
[#26]
Best looking AK I have ever seen is the INRANGE
Link Posted: 7/15/2003 1:14:11 PM EDT
[#27]
Marksman14,

Some of our AK's are shorter. Sounds like you got WASR conversion or an SAR1 "carbine". We build to suit!

Mike
Link Posted: 7/16/2003 6:43:48 AM EDT
[#28]
I have the Vepr K and a Krebs M3A both have a non standard look but are both excellent shooters. The Vepr is a bit more accurate.
Link Posted: 7/16/2003 7:50:18 PM EDT
[#29]
Yes, I have the WASR 10 conversion, and I couldn't be happier.  Overall length is almost identical to that of my bushy M4A3 postban.

I put a recoil buffer in there though...didnt even shoot it without.  I did notice it kicked pretty hard...what do you recommend in your rifles?
Link Posted: 7/17/2003 2:19:41 AM EDT
[#30]
I am really not a fan of any buffers. Just my personal feelings. We manufacture our own, they are similar to the Blackjack. Have you tried it without the buffer? I noticed a big difference in a friends RPK when I took his out.

Mike
Link Posted: 7/17/2003 7:36:04 AM EDT
[#31]
I just want to chime in about how cool AK-USA is, since it's been mentioned. I got their workover done on my SAR1, and it's a real shooter now. The muzzle break reduced the muzzle flip a lot, and the straighteneing job he did on everything increased the accuracy. The powder finish is more durable than I thought it would be too. If they can improve a beater like my SAR1, the Ak-103 they have that's built on an Izmash rifle must be fantastic!
Link Posted: 7/17/2003 9:26:56 AM EDT
[#32]
Another vote for Chris at AK-USA. He's done four for me and I'm nothing but happy.
Link Posted: 7/18/2003 2:07:52 PM EDT
[#33]
ME223 The underfold AK47 your converting to a Krink is mine. I've heard a lot of good stuff about you guy's on this board. Maybe when your done with the bulid you can post a pic of it here.
Jim P
Link Posted: 7/18/2003 2:39:06 PM EDT
[#34]
Sure will! That thing is going to be bad ass!

Mike
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top