Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 10/10/2004 10:24:28 AM EDT
Which type of reciever should I use I'm leaning twards a stamped reciever but I'm not sure which brand to use, I would like one thats completed but from what I hear there are only 3 brands and they each have issues Ohio Ordinance Works is a little to long, the trunion holes arn't drilled, and the selector hole is in the wrong spot, Vulcan has the trunion holes in the wrong place and isn't hardened, and Global is to thick, well I'de rather get the correct thickness reciever, and I'm not thrilled with the idea of fileing down my trunions, and I would rather not have egg shaped rivit holes, so that leaves Ohio Ordinance Works, but there selector hole is in the wrong spot, and there not quite finnished, so is there any other brands out there, or will I have to use the Ohio Ordinance Works reciever?....
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 6:14:31 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 1:53:42 PM EDT
[#2]
My Ohio receiver was the perfect length for an AMD-65. Unfortunately it was just a hair short on height, and the thickness of the rear trunion rails was so much that they wouldn't go in the grooves without heavy filing. I had to file the grooves on the trunion some also. I have two global receivers and while I haven't used them yet, they seem to be a lot sturdier and better built than the Ohio. At least you get a return for the amount of extra work. The trunions seem to grind down quickly so I doubt that would be too much work. I only dread the difficulty in wallowing out holes in that thicker heat-treated metal.

The holes in the Ohio were perfectly sized and in the correct place. The factory holes that is, not my wallowed-out trunion holes...
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 2:54:30 AM EDT
[#3]
My first build was on an Arsenal "thick" receiver. Absolutely love it. Everytime I rack the thing it sounds and feels like a milled receiver does. The extra thickness of the steel is a major fact to this feeling. Comparing it to Soviet, Yugo, East German, Egyptian and Hungarian made real AK's there is a world of difference.
I just picked up another Arsenal this time in 5.45 for a NIB side folding Bulgy kit. This one is going to be a pain to get the needed holes and cuts into the thicker receiver. The actual fitting of the trunions took me about 2 hours with a beer break.
I hope to start on my '74 in a week or so.
Cheers.
KILO OUT
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 3:34:28 PM EDT
[#4]
deleted
Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top