Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 4/11/2006 12:35:29 PM EDT
I never thought about it untill my buddy asked me why I have a left handed rifle. The charging bar (or whatever you ak guys call it) is on the left side of the gun which forces me to rack the bolt with my left hand, and if I wanted to reload and rack quickly I would have to pull the mag out with my left hand, rock it into place with my leftie and then rack with my leftie. I have checked a few pawnshops in the area to see if I was just a NEWB when I bought this and accidentaly bought a left hand configuration but I cant seem to find any that rack from the right. Enlighten me regarding this issue.
-jls7
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 12:38:04 PM EDT
[#1]
Are you saying that your AK has the charging handle on the LEFT?  I have never seen an AK with a left side charging handle.  In my opinion the AK charging handle being on the right makes it more convenient for left handed people to charge the rifle without removing their hand from the grip.
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 12:54:24 PM EDT
[#2]
YEP, NORINCO mak-90. The few others i saw at the pawn shoppe were the same!
-jls7
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 12:57:38 PM EDT
[#3]
We need pics. I doubt it ejects from the left side.
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 1:13:30 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
We need pics. I doubt it ejects from the left side.

Yes, I want to see some pics of these left side charging/ejecting AKs.  If they indeed exist I want one because I am right handed and now when I do a mag change/recharge I reach under the receiver and run the charging handle with my right hand.  If I had an AK what charged on the left side that inconvenience would be eliminated.  The only place I have seen the AK you are talking about is on a computer game that my son plays (halflife?).
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 1:37:02 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I never thought about it untill my buddy asked me why I have a left handed rifle. The charging bar (or whatever you ak guys call it) is on the left side of the gun which forces me to rack the bolt with my left hand, and if I wanted to reload and rack quickly I would have to pull the mag out with my left hand, rock it into place with my leftie and then rack with my leftie. I have checked a few pawnshops in the area to see if I was just a NEWB when I bought this and accidentaly bought a left hand configuration but I cant seem to find any that rack from the right. Enlighten me regarding this issue.
-jls7

would love to see this.......
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 1:57:54 PM EDT
[#6]
Dude, remember left side is the side you sit at when you're driving your car....
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 3:10:01 PM EDT
[#7]
Oh yeah...ask Superman...those are the ultra rare bizarro world "AKBizarro1" which only ejects from the left side...never seen or heard of one untill today???? I dont think any Chinese guns ejected or had the charging handle on the left....I want to see a photo of this one. Better go back ang get photos of these ultra rare bizarro guns. Funny no one has seen or heard of one and you run into a pawn shop with a wall full of them.
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 3:25:55 PM EDT
[#8]
Maybe it is being held backward???  With the muzzle in your shoulder the charging handle is on the left, only you push it instead of pulling it, and you probably don't shoot it in the left hand charging handle mode more than once.
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 3:29:51 PM EDT
[#9]
You must be confusing your right and left. If you're not, I'll eat my shorts.
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 3:38:30 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Dude, remember left side is the side you sit at when you're driving your car....

He probably has a LeftHanded Car too.

Link Posted: 4/11/2006 3:42:18 PM EDT
[#11]
Is it being pointed at you while youre looking at it?
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 3:57:28 PM EDT
[#12]
I have a Yugo that shoots the same way. I will see if I can get some pics.
below is a pic. I didnt realize tehy where so rare. All the ones I have ever seen are the same way.
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 4:45:58 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
below is a pic. I didnt realize tehy where so rare. All the ones I have ever seen are the same way.
i40.photobucket.com/albums/e206/thedukeryan/leftie.jpg

Link Posted: 4/11/2006 4:56:57 PM EDT
[#14]
Aren't Commies the ultimate lefties?

So yes.
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 4:57:31 PM EDT
[#15]
Nice
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 5:22:38 PM EDT
[#16]
lol
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 7:47:54 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Sure that isnt Polish
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 1:04:18 AM EDT
[#18]
Someone has been playing to much CS.
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 7:00:32 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Someone has been playing to much CS.

Yes!  Counter Strike.  That is where I saw the "lefty" AK.

DukeRyan, that is some funny shit you posted there my man.  I laughed my ass off when I saw that picture.
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 7:03:19 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Sure that isnt Polish

Just the launcher
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 7:55:07 AM EDT
[#21]
I, for one, would like to see pics.  Only ever seen an AK like this in computer games (not just Counter Strike).  You'd be talking about an AK with a bass-ackwards bolt carrier, receiver cover, bolt (extractor on the other side) and ejector/lower rails.  

I'm sure it could be done, but what a PITA when there's so much right-handed AK stuff already out there.  OTOH, I'm surprised the Soviets didn't do this to begin with because the Germans were (and still are) into rifles with charging handles on the left side (like the STG44, G43, G3A3, etc).  

I've got eye problems that force me to shoot lefty if I wish to be able to use the sights, and having the charging handle on the right side is actually easier for me.  

Never had any problems with the case ejection because the ejection port on an AK is well forward of your face and the ejection is forceful enough that the cases end up flying about 10 feet to the right.  

So, even trying to make a left-handed AK would be a solution looking for a problem.  I have seen AK bolt carriers before that had the charging handle tilted up, as well as bolt carriers with a Galil-style charging handle, and that solves most of the problems for right-handed people (so you don't have to tilt the weapon to the side or anything like that).  

Oh, and I'm sure someone could easily improvise a brass deflector for an AK by welding a piece of sheet metal to the receiver cover (if that was even an issue).  
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 3:52:10 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 3:57:40 PM EDT
[#23]
IBTL

dude change the pic i dont feel like looking at a cows balls
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 4:13:23 PM EDT
[#24]
Here ya go guys, the elusive Left Handed AK ...

Link Posted: 4/12/2006 4:35:28 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
IBTL

dude change the pic i dont feel like looking at a cows balls

Uhhh cows....don't...nevermind.
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 6:53:59 PM EDT
[#26]
This reminds me of a bumper sticker I saw, said "I hate communists but I love their weapons", the ak pictured on it was left handed.
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 7:01:18 PM EDT
[#27]
I wonder if there has been "left" handed cigarettes involved?
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 7:05:34 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
This reminds me of a bumper sticker I saw, said "I hate communists but I love their weapons", the ak pictured on it was left handed.

I'm tempted to hypothesize, based on the absence of this poster from any further participation in the thread, and the extreme improbability of what he's saying, that he hasn't actually seen the rifle first hand, but was only looking at a reversed photo.
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 8:00:14 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm tempted to hypothesize, based on the absence of this poster from any further participation in the thread, and the extreme improbability of what he's saying, that he hasn't actually seen the rifle first hand, but was only looking at a reversed photo.

Probably, or that it's complete
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 9:58:20 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
-jls7

No offense, your an idiot.
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 9:00:35 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

No photo.  He states in his original post that he owns a "left handed" AK and further that when he looked at pawn shops etc all he saw was "left handed" AKs.  
I for one, am going to dismiss this as either a joke or a troll post of some sort.
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 9:40:55 AM EDT
[#32]
he is aying that if you shoot it from the left, its more ergonomic for some. your support hand can change mags, charge the weapon (from the same side) and operate the saftey.

thats all he ways saying.
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 9:47:28 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
he is aying that if you shoot it from the left, its more ergonomic for some. your support hand can change mags, charge the weapon (from the same side) and operate the saftey.

thats all he ways saying.

The charging bar (or whatever you ak guys call it) is on the left side of the gun

This is exactly what he said in the first post.  He didn't say that he was shooting it left handed, he said that the charging handle is on the left.  We have summized that either he shoots his AK upside down or he has the barrel to his shoulder when he shoots.  
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 2:40:30 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 3:26:20 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:
-jls7

That would be you're, not your. LOL
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 3:30:33 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
-jls7

That would be you're, not your. LOL

I was going to do it, but just couldn't bring myself to point out the irony of his statement.
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 8:30:45 PM EDT
[#37]
Yeah, that always ticked me off...

In fact, I switched my left hand and right hand Counter-Strike models in-game so that my character shoots the AK left-handed with the bolt on the correct side
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 9:20:39 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 5:17:54 AM EDT
[#39]
I thought all AKs were set up for "leftists". It's much easier to operate the bolt handle and safety with your right hand while holding the rifle with your left hand.
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 7:34:11 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
I thought all AKs were set up for "leftists". It's much easier to operate the bolt handle and safety with your right hand while holding the rifle with your left hand.

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top