Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 11/13/2008 9:38:39 PM EDT
If I bought a Saiga now would I need to convert it before the ban or at least buy the parts to convert it now?  I might want to keep it in the original configuration for a while, but I wouldn't want to miss out on it being grandfathered in as a higher capacity gun.  How would they know when a gun purchased pre-ban was actually converted?  Are people going to need to keep their receipts for the conversion parts?  Trying to figure out how things may come down.
Link Posted: 11/14/2008 1:42:39 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
If I bought a Saiga now would I need to convert it before the ban or at least buy the parts to convert it now?  I might want to keep it in the original configuration for a while, but I wouldn't want to miss out on it being grandfathered in as a higher capacity gun.  How would they know when a gun purchased pre-ban was actually converted?  Are people going to need to keep their receipts for the conversion parts?  Trying to figure out how things may come down.

We are trying to out guess Congress with the AWB talk.  A fool's errand.  Buy what you want and need - don't let an AWB enter your thought process until it's a reality.
Link Posted: 11/14/2008 2:29:26 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Quoted:

We are trying to out guess Congress with the AWB talk.  A fool's errand.  Buy what you want and need - don't let an AWB enter your thought process until it's a reality.

+1.  We have no idea what's going to happen.  But, I would say if you want it, buy the Saiga and get what you need to convert it, plus mags.  Or just buy a converted Saiga and don't worry about it.
Link Posted: 11/14/2008 12:10:16 PM EDT
[#3]
Convert it and buy mags ... many, many mags. But have someone who knows what they are doing do the conversion... not a hack garage type of thing

As mentioned above there is no way to guess the future - hence the panic, frenzy.

Link Posted: 11/17/2008 7:54:36 AM EDT
[#4]
In the last AWB if it wasn't complete (and i do mean complete) befor the ban took affect it could only be built as a post ban.
but that was last time.
I have no crystal ball.
Link Posted: 11/17/2008 8:25:11 AM EDT
[#5]
IMO, nothing. ala Cali

TXL
Link Posted: 11/17/2008 4:59:32 PM EDT
[#6]
"It's everything or nuthin at all...'
-Davie King
Link Posted: 11/18/2008 12:09:40 PM EDT
[#7]
First they will stop importation of "evil guns" and "high capacity ammunition feeding devices," then they will pick us apart.  As above, get what you want and/or need now if you can afford it, "Possession is 9/10ths of the law"
Link Posted: 11/18/2008 12:33:28 PM EDT
[#8]
I am going to get several saigas converted by the licensed officals to make firearms.  So just incase the stupid democrats try to pull a fast one.

That way, it was made into an "assualt" rifle by a legit company before the ban.

Link Posted: 11/18/2008 12:42:33 PM EDT
[#9]
They might say:

"register it with us - or its NOT grandfathered."

California did that.  So did D.C. (and that part of DC law stands today).

BATFE did it to the street sweeper & USAS 12.

In fact the whole NFA worked that way since 1934.
Link Posted: 11/18/2008 1:00:01 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 11/18/2008 3:34:48 PM EDT
[#11]
i don't think they're going to go the Assault weapon route like before. What they're going to do is tax the hell out of .223 and 7.62x39 so most won't be able to afford it. They're also talking about "coding" new ammunition so you'll have to show ID and register that particular "coded" ammunition in your name.

They plan, by 2010, to render our old ammunition "illegal" and we will be required to destroy it or turn it in. Dealers will also be required to replace the old with the new.
Link Posted: 11/18/2008 3:49:33 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
and we will be required to destroy it or turn it in.

I have all intents and purposes to destroy all the ammo I have now. Thats what I bought it for
Link Posted: 11/18/2008 6:47:07 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 11/18/2008 6:55:57 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
i don't think they're going to go the Assault weapon route like before. What they're going to do is tax the hell out of .223 and 7.62x39 so most won't be able to afford it. They're also talking about "coding" new ammunition so you'll have to show ID and register that particular "coded" ammunition in your name.

They plan, by 2010, to render our old ammunition "illegal" and we will be required to destroy it or turn it in. Dealers will also be required to replace the old with the new.

Seems like it would be hard to pass... hunting is still alive and well and this would not go over well.  There are many other types of ammo which belong to both "assault" rifles and hunting rifles... .223, .308, etc.

Link Posted: 11/18/2008 8:25:06 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Seems like it would be hard to pass... hunting is still alive and well and this would not go over well.  There are many other types of ammo which belong to both "assault" rifles and hunting rifles... .223, .308, etc.

+1 they cannot even get a handle on rampant identity theft, it's as though they want it to happen...tracking bullets...lol = government fail

Link Posted: 11/20/2008 6:38:26 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Do you have links so I can read up on this? I am specifically interested in the coding and rendering old ammo illegal. Sounds pretty damned insidious if they can pull it off.
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 8:40:34 AM EDT
[#17]
forget coding bullets....that will never happen......buy what you can now and hope for the best.  The next ban will be worse than the first(Iam going to say california laws at the least) and there will be NO sunset.  Next thing that will happen is a huge tax on ammo.....no need to track bullets if nobody can afford it.......sad to say but yes I feel dark days are ahead, best thing we can do is support organizations like the NRA, and if anything comes down the pipeline fight it back and let your voice be heard.

They will NEVER take your guns from you....get that out of your head now.....there is just to much out there to ever get control of it, BUT they can make it very hard for you to purchase more, be able to afford ammo to play with your toys, and the new rifles they will have you own will look like horrible hack jobs(post ban features).......there will be a fight sooner or later and we are all going to have to pick a side and fight for our rights.  If you have the money buy what you can and get it soon.....I for one will not pay 2k for a Saiga when the next ban hits
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 10:37:03 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

You have been watching FOX NEWS too much.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top