Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 1/26/2006 8:57:38 AM EDT
I've heard people complain about the enamel finish on the Maadi but have no idea how it really compares to the finish on the SAR. Are there any real mechanical differences?
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 10:57:51 AM EDT
[#1]
Get a post ban Intrac Maadi, the finish sucks but all you have to do to unban it is untack the thread nut, weld a little back on the lug wings, G2 FCG and some USA wood and you have a near instant AK clone ...
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 12:28:12 PM EDT
[#2]
I like the  SAR series. They pretty up nicely.

Link Posted: 1/26/2006 12:34:17 PM EDT
[#3]
My gut keeps telling me to stick with the SAR, but as I have not heard very much about the Maadi's I figured that I should ask the experts. I know of an MISR for sale for about $250 and considered that $100 or so for new furniture, FCG and my beloved slant brake would put me in the same ball park as a good deal on an SAR.  What do you guys think?
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 12:46:27 PM EDT
[#4]
I prefer the maadi.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 3:34:16 PM EDT
[#5]
I say go with a SAR-1 thats what I have.....and no problems yethug.gif

http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c395/Mon_LL/000_0219.jpg

this target was at 25yrds with the SAR-1
http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c395/Mon_LL/000_0222.jpg

Link Posted: 1/26/2006 3:39:09 PM EDT
[#6]
I like the SAR as well.

Optics rail, too.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 4:18:53 PM EDT
[#7]
Well, if your choosing between a SAR or a MISR then they're about the same ...
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 5:24:56 PM EDT
[#8]
Thanks for the input guys, it really helps. Considering how 'gun people' have no problem about speaking up when it comes to voicing their dissatisfaction with something, the loyalty that SAR owners show says something to me...not to mention that when you look at the Egyptian forums activity level compared to the Romanian one there seems to be a wee bit more activity on the Romanian one. Guess I might just have to start lookin' for one! Incidentally if anybody knows of a good one, preferably with black poly furniture, give me a shout!
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 12:43:00 PM EDT
[#9]
I think that forum activity has something to do with the fact that the Maadi has not been imported for several years whereas the Romanians are everywhere.  Even your local department/sporting goods store.  

For my beater I enjoy the Maadi.  I like the wood better than the SAR.  Both finishes are not pretty.  Overall (for a shooter) there is little difference between the two.  For $250 I'd buy another in a second.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 1:39:34 PM EDT
[#10]
I've shot maybe 10 thousand rounds through my Maadi in the past ten years or so, I used to buy cases of chinese mild corrosive for 60 bucks per thousand and it ran without a hitch everytime. It still shoots great and i love the thing to death. The maadi is also one of the truest examples of a Russian AKM clone out there. The finish is shit but then again all of them really are, I've had my handguards litterally smoking from mag after mag continous firing and it still hit targets accurately.  McM
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 1:48:42 PM EDT
[#11]
That's what I would call a satisfied customer! Is any post ban Maadi going to be called an MISR (is that what you have?)? I freely admit that I don't know squat about Maadi's, so forgive my ignorance! Are there any mechanical differences between them and the SAR's? I would like to put black poly furniture on mind and want to make sure that there won't be any surprises.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 2:37:07 PM EDT
[#12]
If you can find one, I suggest getting a Maadi ARM imported by Intrac.  Mine had the ugly thumbhole stock and a muzzle nut/cap welded on, but is getting rebuild into a russian akm clone.  You could get a US made poly stock set for it, take the muzzle cap off and put a slant brake on.  The nice thing about the maadi arms is that most of them had threaded barrels instead of neutered barrels.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 3:49:33 PM EDT
[#13]
I would buy the maadi if it was an intertac or steyr(dreaming) but probably the sar over the misr. I like my Maadi ARM just fine but have not heard many people who liked their misr's.

The maadi is all black. The other one is a NHM-90.(sorry only Maadi pic I had handy)
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v630/hank_612/IMG_0179.jpg
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 4:04:53 PM EDT
[#14]
At this point I have handled and shot I think 2 Romys, not SARs though. I own 2 Maadis, one an RML long-barrel, and the other a MISR. The only complaint I have about either one is that they have had the muzzle threads turned off. Oh, and the RML's original trigger had horrendous slap.  Even with my oval shaped mag well (I opened the single stack MISR to a double stack without a template) I still get mags that fit correctly, something I've seen on few of the Romys I've handled. Again, I think I've mainly dealt with WASRs, and I know the SAR series are better. I guess the main thing is to get whichever you may have a preference for. If you don't have a preference, then just get whichever is cheaper/more available.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 5:53:20 PM EDT
[#15]
Man, you guys really are a wealth of information! I can't say 'thank you' enough! What would be a good deal on an intertac? There's a gun show in town this weekend so I plan on going and getting my hands all over as many of these as I can to get a better feel for them. I have still been patiently waiting (and it is TOUGH!!!) and watching the boards for  the SAR-1s in the $350-$375 range. I have seen them in the past but hadn't convinced the wife factor as to the 'practicality' of having an AK yet! Where have most of you guys gotten yours, gunshows, online, pawn shops or some place else? You would think that a gun friendly state like Georgia would have more of them, but they don't ......don't know why.....Thanks again for the tips, you guys rock!
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 6:04:30 PM EDT
[#16]
I didn't purchase an ARM (at least I'm pretty sure that's what it was) at a local show. Private sale was for a thumbhole with muzzlenut tacked in place, price was $300 and it looked pretty clean otherwise. Some guys have gotten even better deals on ARMs before, it really all depends, although now is a pretty good time to buy, since everyone needs money after the holidays.
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 7:44:59 AM EDT
[#17]
300 for thumbhole 400-450 for AK config seems like the common prices. Slightly more than the sar but it is pretty mu8ch splitting hairs price wise.
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 7:52:34 AM EDT
[#18]
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top