Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 7/16/2012 6:47:22 AM EDT
Light setups on ARs are pretty easy, but the smaller size and different placement of most AK handguard rails makes it a whole different ball game when you are trying to shed some light on things with an AK.  What is everyone using on their AK?  What would you do differently?  Anyone using an Inforce WML (I think those look pretty sex)?  Lemme see what you got!
Link Posted: 7/16/2012 6:52:48 AM EDT
[#1]
I used a VLTOR offset with quick release and my Surefire FH on an Ultimak upper. Nothing too fancy.

Link Posted: 7/16/2012 7:16:57 AM EDT
[#2]
I'll have either a Streamlight TLR-1 or an Insight M3 LED on my Romy G.  Both mount to my VFR-AK rail system in the same location.

I had the Insight M3 on when I took this pic:

Link Posted: 7/16/2012 8:19:25 AM EDT
[#3]
I use a Streamlight PolyTac in a GG&G mount on a Beryl K Grip lower handguard on my SGL21.
Link Posted: 7/16/2012 8:49:01 AM EDT
[#4]
The best ive come up with so far is I run a tlr1 on a lasermax shotgun mount but I had to wrap the gas tube with gaffers tape to get it fat enough to clamp. I havent fired it alot but so far the gaffers tape hasn't left a mark. I think this is better than mounting it on the barrel like the mfi mount or something but it makes me nervious. So far it's worked. On my other one with the ultimak I will use a vltor mount but I didnt want to replace any parts for tactical crap on this one. Im always looking for a better solution, I like the russian standard light that tantal sells but I wanted something more modern. Here's a current pic but this might change. I like that I can still use an infared laser if I wanted with the other rails.

Link Posted: 7/16/2012 9:15:34 AM EDT
[#5]

Streamlight with a KZ offset mount.
Link Posted: 7/16/2012 1:21:34 PM EDT
[#6]
I use either a DBMG barrel mount or the LHV47 poly hand guards, both are well made high quality options and I swap lights around as the mood suits me.

DBMG
G2 with Vltor offset mount

LHV47
With X300

Z
Link Posted: 7/16/2012 1:46:40 PM EDT
[#7]
If the head of your light does not extend past the FSB you are hanging an almost useless item on your rifle.  If any light hits that FSB you are not going to see anything except that FSB at night,  I know this from experiance.  I used to rock a surefire on a VLTOR offset mount on my ultimak (like many of the pics here) and when I actually tried to use it during two different nighttime rifle matches I was fucked.  If your target is under 20 tyards away you will be okay-ish but past that you are not going to see your target. with a red dot or irons.

Something that has the light sitting really low and under it may work, I have not tested that.
Link Posted: 7/16/2012 2:29:39 PM EDT
[#8]
VTAC/Surefire G2
Link Posted: 7/16/2012 3:32:59 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
If the head of your light does not extend past the FSB you are hanging an almost useless item on your rifle.  If any light hits that FSB you are not going to see anything except that FSB at night,  I know this from experiance.  I used to rock a surefire on a VLTOR offset mount on my ultimak (like many of the pics here) and when I actually tried to use it during two different nighttime rifle matches I was fucked.  If your target is under 20 tyards away you will be okay-ish but past that you are not going to see your target. with a red dot or irons.

Something that has the light sitting really low and under it may work, I have not tested that.

What are you using to situate your light far enough to the front?
Link Posted: 7/16/2012 3:55:32 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I use either a DBMG barrel mount or the LHV47 poly hand guards, both are well made high quality options and I swap lights around as the mood suits me.

LHV47
With X300
http://zenphotos.net/zenphotos/file/Online/SVD/Tactical/LHV47-X300Side-Stubby-PK01VS-Triangle.JPG

Z

That LHV47 looks even cheaper than the Hogue HGs I am using now - I take you like it a lot if you're running it, how does it compare to the Hogue overmolded setup?  I don't think the HGs would work so well if you weren't using a VFG, but maybe that is just the pics.

All:
 Thanks for posting pics of your setup.
Link Posted: 7/16/2012 4:00:23 PM EDT
[#11]
It looks cheap but has held up great over 5-6 years of fairly regular use. I wouldn't say it's been seriously abused or run through tough classes but it's handled bump firing and general high volume range use quite well.

Most of the time I don't use a VFG either, I'm a mag hold guy but I have experimented with them some. Normally I would use the same setup minus VFG but don't have any pics without it.

Can't comment on the Hogue because I've never used one, after the LHV47 I haven't felt the need for anything better.

Z
Link Posted: 7/16/2012 4:26:09 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

That LHV47 looks even cheaper than the Hogue HGs I am using now

The LHV-47 is a very good handguard.  Very durable and rock solid on the rifle.  I used one for years (still have it) and have no complaints.

Link Posted: 7/16/2012 4:52:00 PM EDT
[#13]
SF 6P LED in a Vltor Offset Mount on a MI AK-SS-X.  Would have liked to try the DBMG but not enough room on the AMD.

Link Posted: 7/16/2012 5:29:07 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
It looks cheap but has held up great over 5-6 years of fairly regular use. I wouldn't say it's been seriously abused or run through tough classes but it's handled bump firing and general high volume range use quite well.

Most of the time I don't use a VFG either, I'm a mag hold guy but I have experimented with them some. Normally I would use the same setup minus VFG but don't have any pics without it.

Can't comment on the Hogue because I've never used one, after the LHV47 I haven't felt the need for anything better.

No metal heat shield I take it?  I might look for a pair to try out.  I really like the texture on my hogues (maybe TOO grippy) and they have interchangeable rails, but there's a little bit of flex to them that makes me hesitant (well, I can feel the aluminum heat shield creaking, anyway).  Thanks for the input!
Link Posted: 7/16/2012 5:34:30 PM EDT
[#15]
The Haley Strategic SBR Thorntail is a great mount for a light off a top rail.

Review here - http://fleetingsurvival.com/2012/07/need-a-light-on-your-ak-haley-strategic-sbr-thorntail-review/
Link Posted: 7/16/2012 5:51:42 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:

No metal heat shield I take it?  I might look for a pair to try out.  I really like the texture on my hogues (maybe TOO grippy) and they have interchangeable rails, but there's a little bit of flex to them that makes me hesitant (well, I can feel the aluminum heat shield creaking, anyway).  Thanks for the input!

No heat shield no but they are made of a pretty durable polymer. I've gotten them quite hot and they have seemed to hold up well.

Z
Link Posted: 7/16/2012 9:50:04 PM EDT
[#17]
I use a Vltor offset light mount and a Surefire LED light. The set up works really well for me.
Link Posted: 7/17/2012 6:37:06 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:

What are you using to situate your light far enough to the front?

I am waiting to find a light I like that is long enough that it sits past the FSB.  Until then my AR has been relagated to the role of night fighting rifle.
Link Posted: 7/18/2012 8:31:43 AM EDT
[#19]
I've had two setups on my rifle. The first setup used an UTG Tri-Rail Barrel Mount. It worked to hold my UTG WeaponLight during night patrols on my farm, but when on the range, the recoil would loosen the screws. Even with blue loctite, the barrel mount would slip loose and flop around.

My WASR 10/63 With UTG Tri-Rail Barrel Mount and Light

My current, and second setup, uses a Magpul Moe Rail sandwiched between the upper and lower handguards. I saw another member on this forum, can't remember the username, which inspired me to go for this streamlined approach. It seems to handle recoil well and holds my flashlight tightly. With the Moe Rail, I'm able to cut some weight down on the front end of the rifle. I like rails, but I prefer to limit the amount of unused rail.

My WASR 10/63 With MagPul Moe Rail Light Setup

Link Posted: 7/21/2012 10:38:36 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I've had two setups on my rifle. The first setup used an UTG Tri-Rail Barrel Mount. It worked to hold my UTG WeaponLight during night patrols on my farm, but when on the range, the recoil would loosen the screws. Even with blue loctite, the barrel mount would slip loose and flop around.

My WASR 10/63 With UTG Tri-Rail Barrel Mount and Light
http://i1143.photobucket.com/albums/n634/Veers1957/IMG_7034.jpg

http://i1143.photobucket.com/albums/n634/Veers1957/IMG_7031.jpg

My current, and second setup, uses a Magpul Moe Rail sandwiched between the upper and lower handguards. I saw another member on this forum, can't remember the username, which inspired me to go for this streamlined approach. It seems to handle recoil well and holds my flashlight tightly. With the Moe Rail, I'm able to cut some weight down on the front end of the rifle. I like rails, but I prefer to limit the amount of unused rail.

My WASR 10/63 With MagPul Moe Rail Light Setup
http://i1143.photobucket.com/albums/n634/Veers1957/IMG_7856a.jpg

http://i1143.photobucket.com/albums/n634/Veers1957/IMG_7857a.jpg

http://i1143.photobucket.com/albums/n634/Veers1957/IMG_7864a.jpg

Nice!
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top