Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 9/7/2005 12:42:19 PM EDT
Doing some research, I came across some way less than PC "facts" of interrest.............

THE  USA Army Air Force, evolving into The USAF. has NEVER, a'hem,,,,,, ...NEVER!!!! been "shot off of a targe"t....yes, weather forced going to alternates, BUT, NOT ENEMY ACTION, IN ANY WAY,  SHAPE OR FORM. (Lord God, I AM just PROUD of THAT)

( glad I didn't break the trend....)

B-17 gunners shot down more enemy aircraft than any other WW II weapon system...the "Great UnSung".....

The Eight Air Force, (one Command) had more dead over europe than the USMC in ALL OF THE PACIFIC....

God, Father, Please, Rest their Souls.

Link Posted: 9/7/2005 1:42:24 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 1:54:56 PM EDT
[#2]
huh?
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 2:29:36 PM EDT
[#3]
the casuality rate for bomber crews in Europe in WW2 was 20+ percent. More than any other service during that war. Command was persistent to say the least.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 3:31:46 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 4:28:14 PM EDT
[#5]
Forgive me, please. One of my "drunk-bunches"......AKA the Air Commando Association helped  a "man-power quest" today...that meant putting together "100-person" pallets for the kids to deliver, from trailers of "mixed stuff", to organized chaos.

MRE's, Personals, cots, blankets, one size fits all stuff....not hard, just manpower intensive...a graet job for us old drunks to do.

Anyway, as is usually the case when booze is not there, besides the DT's......I "remember" stories came up and today it got around to my old B-52 days....along with that heritage....
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 4:34:19 PM EDT
[#6]
Hell Pave,you'll always catch my ear [or eyes] when you bring up "Old Warbird"memories.I grew up next to the airfield at Sheperd AFB,as a kid,my favorite playground was the F4 Phantoms and listening to the stories from the Master Sgt.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 3:54:10 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Ahhhhh......The B-17 Flying Fortress..........what I would give for a chance to ride in one of those......

Thanks for sharing!

They had one not too long ago at a air show in Lancaster Ohio.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 4:26:26 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:
B-17 gunners shot down more enemy aircraft than any other WW II weapon system...the "Great UnSung".....

Ahhhhh......The B-17 Flying Fortress..........what I would give for a chance to ride in one of those......

Thanks for sharing!

We have one parked down the street from us.......was flown in sometime in the late '40s and turned into a gas station and restaurant. It is suspended by big poles and the gas pumps used to be underneath. Just a restaurant now, the nose of the plane is sitting in the "museum" building in the back of the lot......it has been restored somewhat, but the rest of the plane just sits there aging away. I'll see if I can get some pics this weekend. There is another airplane sitting in a guy's backyard about 1/2 a block from my house too........
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 4:58:16 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Hell Pave,you'll always catch my ear [or eyes] when you bring up "Old Warbird"memories.I grew up next to the airfield at Sheperd AFB,as a kid,my favorite playground was the F4 Phantoms and listening to the stories from the Master Sgt.

My Dad was a master Sgt...
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 5:00:43 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

My Dad was a master Sgt...

Mine Too!We both had problems"adjusting"when he retired,I don't think I ever did.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 10:09:53 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thanks for sharing!

A B-17 was in my area last month.  Rides were $400.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top