Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Troubleshooting
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 8/25/2015 5:45:39 PM EDT
Hi guys I'm new to ask and recently traded an AR for a 10/63. First time I took it out I had multiple fte in 1 mag, tried a different mag same results. I took it home and did a thorough cleaning (bcg, gas port, etc). Took it out again today and had the same issues. It will eject some cases 15-20 feet and others barely if at all fall out of the action. Looking at it the ejector isn't badly worn. When hand cycling it does the same some far some hardly fall out. Any ideas other than the ejector? Again I tried multiple mags including a pmag I had to file down to fit and two different types of ammo. I have pics but don't know how to load them. Any ideas are appreciated. Thanks
Link Posted: 8/26/2015 4:18:25 PM EDT
[#1]
I would order a few replacement extractor springs (extras as spares) and replace it. They're available new from many places e.g. APEX.

Since many WASRs use surplus bolts, it's possible that someone in the past did a field strip on the bolt and kinked up the spring, or there may be debris in the spring channel. Either way, you need to strip the bolt and take a look, but you may as well have a new spring ready when you have it apart.

Stripping the bolt is no big deal, all you need is the cleaning kit punch (though any proper sized punch will do), block of wood, and a hammer. If you google around you'll also find a couple of tutorials on how to use the cleaning kit to break down the bolt in the field, which is good to know - e.g. the cleaning kit cap can be used to support the bolt while driving out the pins, and will capture the pins so that you don't lose them.
Link Posted: 8/26/2015 8:52:03 PM EDT
[#2]
thanks i did already strip and clean the bolt. the spring appeared in good condition. If it were the ejector I dont understand why some rounds eject far and other not at all. However there is quite a bit of up and down play on the bolt and ejector. are there any reputable ak gunsmiths you recommend? I dont want to put alot of money into it as I already feel that I got screwed in the trade.
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 12:59:12 AM EDT
[#3]
There really shouldn't be much play in the extractor at all.

The replacement parts are so cheap, I would replace them with NOS parts from APEX or other supplier, just to eliminate them first before anything else.. Any AKM extractor and extractor spring will work.

FWIW the ejector is fixed in the receiver lower rail and is not a replaceable part (well, not easily at least). But a WASR will likely never ever wear out the ejector claw.... ever.
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 6:39:23 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks I have parts on order. I really hope it fixes the problem so I can get rid of it. I just can't sell someone else a malfunctioning rifle and keep a clear conscious.
Page AK-47 » Troubleshooting
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top