Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 9/6/2004 4:58:49 PM EDT
I am having real problems with a B&S Verticle engine, it dies under load. I know that the Govenor/ throtte/ choke linkage has been dinked with. Can any of Y'all direct me to something that tells me how to start from scratch on these adjusments ? Especially the Govenor adjustments ?  
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 5:50:20 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 6:56:11 AM EDT
[#2]
I,ve run into this problem many times, If the mixture is a little lean the engine will lean out even more and quit as soon as the gov gives it the gas when put under load. Open up the mixture screw a little or clean the carb. Thats my guess anyway
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 6:57:27 AM EDT
[#3]
make sure the gas is fresh too, my snowblower is real fussy about the age of the gas
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 7:48:25 AM EDT
[#4]
Thank you all for your replies. This is a great board with great folks !

Here is the problem. I am trying to get the mower running after installing a new engine. The throttle controls were in pieces. I put them together based upon a fuzzy drawing from a B&S manual. It has a Mechanical govenor Campy.  I cleaned  the carb, and emulsion tube, and checked the needle seat. After screwing around with the linkage I got her to start and run, by backing out the mixture screw 1 1/2 turns, and the screw on the fuel bowl the same amount. If she dies under load the concenus seems to be she is too lean. I will fatten her up a little and see how that goes.

Now about the mechanical governor lever:

It has a spring that attaches to the throttle control, and the other end to the lever that  pulls the throttle plate open, if the engine exceeds a certain rpm the centrifical force (?) pulls the lever the opposite way and closes the throttle plate right ???? One problem I have is there was no way to index the lever on the shaft that came out of the engine, I just guessed and stuck it on, I had to use the old lever of the old engine.  

When I try to go to full throttle she dies, when I load up the engine by turning on the mower she dies. Guns are easy compared to small engines !!!!  
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 1:18:26 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 4:51:58 PM EDT
[#6]
Campy she dies with a puff of black smoke. Plug is a sooty looking, I don't think the carb has a diaphram, it is a gravity feed from the tank. Campy I am unsure about what you meant by running ruch on the govenor ?
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 4:55:15 PM EDT
[#7]
http://forums2.gardenweb.com/forums/lmower/
Try this site - great lawnmower repair forum. Your problem sounds to me like typical leaned out needle valve (if so equipped). Open that sucks up to at least 2 1/2 turns. Once you get it running, and are able to cut grass with it, open the needle valve until it starts to load up and slow down. turn it in until it again starts to slow down. Pick a point between the two extremes.
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 4:46:22 AM EDT
[#8]
Thanks 1saxman ,I will checkout that forum.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top