Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Galil & Valmet Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 9/13/2004 6:14:02 PM EDT
What do you think the likelihood is of getting more Valmet/Sako assault rifles in the country since the sunset? If I could choose from any AK derivative a Valmet would be it.
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 4:30:53 AM EDT
[#1]
None!  They aren't even being made anymore, see link:

www.valmet-weapons.com/Finnish_Assault_Rifle.html

Link Posted: 9/14/2004 7:05:30 AM EDT
[#2]
When they were still selling them a few years back here in Finland the prices were around $900-1000. Now people are selling - or trying to sell - used ones for like $1600 if not more. That's just silly. The damn thing is not made of 24K gold. But they are being sold and bought, so if you could legally import one, you could surely find someone in Finland to sell you one, provided you have more money than sense Personally I suspect the ones being sold and bought are the same ones. Over-excited people buy them for exorbitant prices, then notice they're not worth it, and try to sell them... Those who bought them new for a good price keep theirs.
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 8:57:59 AM EDT
[#3]
How about Valmet parts kits? With the availability of US made Galil receivers, it seems like a Valmet build would be pretty strait forward. Being of Finnish decent, I have always yearned for a Valmet, but never had the money, and now as some_finn has stated they ar ridiculously expensive.
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 2:49:27 AM EDT
[#4]
Well, I don't think there are much Sako/Valmet parts around. Actually I heard it's difficult to get spares even for the latest 92S models, Sako doesn't have all the parts any more...
BTW there was recently an article about Sako in some paper (haven't read it, just what people wrote on a Finnish forum) and they made a very clear statement that there will definately be no more "assault rifle style" firearms from them any more. The tooling is gone and setting up new tooling would be very expensive, so they'll stick to making bolt action rifles.
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 4:32:10 AM EDT
[#5]
Sako still has the tooling stored away, according to a factory representative. It doesn't cost much to store it, and they're very expensive so it doesn't make sense to get rid of them. In a crisis situation production for supplying the army could be easily set up.

Setting up production for the Sako M92 would take, according to the company rep, a couple of days. The reason they don't produce them anymore is that they make more money producing hunting rifles that have more demand than they can supply, so they don't want to sacrifice capacity for something of marginal interest. That's all from the horses mouth, take it for what it's worth.

But the tooling is there. If the hunting rifle market ever recesses and they have capacity to spare, I can see a small production run of the Sako M92 as a possibility. If the price was right, they would sell like hot cakes for a while.
Page AK-47 » Galil & Valmet Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top