Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Russian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 8/31/2005 5:40:34 PM EDT
I noticed a vast majority of people think the VEPR is a well made rifle... just a tad heavy. I just went out and shot my new VEPR II in 308... It is heavy, nose heavy. Shot it side by side with my buddies M14 and AR10... it shot as well as both of them. Though my VEPR sure chewed up the brass (scraped and dented the bodies) as well as cratered the primers (factory Remington green box stuff)

Anyway, I pulled the handguard off the VEPR when I got home... that plastic handguard weighs a TON... Wow... no wonder the thing is nose heavy... It weighs over a pound!!! I see Robinson makes a "vented" one. But I think I am gonna vent my own, trim it down. Has anyone done this to theirs??? I figure if I screw it up I'll just buy a new one....
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 12:14:37 AM EDT
[#1]
I have seen a ton of people do theirs. I have not done mine. One guy I saw shortened his handgaurd and trimmed the top and it looked more like one of the KTRs handgaurds. I have seen them stipled as well but what I saw did not look that great to me. I have seen all kinds of vents. The most common I have seen look just like what Robinson has done and some have just had holes in a line on them. Out of all of them I like the one where the guy shortened and trimmed it to make it a smaller hand guard over all like on the KTR.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 1:18:20 PM EDT
[#2]
Poor Pic of my Chopped Vepr Forend on the gun....
http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a269/foundryrat/VEPR.jpg
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 1:44:58 PM EDT
[#3]
you didnt happen to weigh it afterwards did you? if so, what did you get it down to?
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 3:43:34 PM EDT
[#4]
Weighed the forend after.. it was .58 pounds on the scale at work... which is better than the 1.1-1.2 pounds I started with.. You can't see the rectangular cut outs on the bottom side of the forend. I cut out the buttstock and that helped bring the weight down as well.
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 3:02:42 AM EDT
[#5]
290POUNDFATHEAD-

Who did the stippling on your stocks? Looks great. I just got my VEPR K, and can see that something will need to be done about the slick pistol grip and fore end. Would be great to see any other pics you may have of it.

Mick.
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 12:30:12 PM EDT
[#6]
The furniture was sanded, then texture coated, followed by a clear coat. I have done this on a couple of  bolt action rifle stocks it works and looks OK. Though not super durable. If or when I get myself set up for bead blasting and Duracoating I will strip it off and go that route.. Also I really wish I hadn't put that last hole at the rear of the forend... Not much to do about it now.... http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a269/foundryrat/Forend.jpg
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 10:54:42 AM EDT
[#7]
can you put a regular handguard/stock/pistol grip on these guns?  Do they require any significant modification?
Page AK-47 » Russian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top