Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 8/17/2006 6:47:01 PM EDT
My Ak came with a stupid tapco folding stock, I finally got around to dremelin some holes and puttin on the underfolder.

I still am not sure if I am gonna cut the little peice that sticks out off yet..........

Link Posted: 8/17/2006 7:03:19 PM EDT
[#1]
What kind of support will the underfolding stock have without its proper trunnion?  Wont dirt be able to enter from the exposed rear?  Why didnt you just use a side folder instead of fudging the reciever like that?
Link Posted: 8/17/2006 7:15:35 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 8/17/2006 7:21:40 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
What kind of support will the underfolding stock have without its proper trunnion? Wont dirt be able to enter from the exposed rear?

The reciever is plenty of support. I have part of the unfinished wood stock that came with it screwed in to keep dirt out.

Why didnt you just use a side folder instead of fudging the reciever like that?

Becuase I wanted to?
Link Posted: 8/17/2006 7:24:59 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 8/17/2006 7:26:26 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I would consult a builder.  The underfolder has a special trunion.  I doubt the reciever walls can handle the load under recoil by themselves.

Guess we will see.

Ive built 3 AKs over time, I had this one laying around and couldnt stand the side folder anymore.

If the reciever walls star opening up I will cut out the old trunnion and install a side folder, but I am betting it holds.
Link Posted: 8/17/2006 8:20:22 PM EDT
[#6]
RA
Did you simply drill the needed holes through the rear trunion-block?
Do the interior underfolder parts fit without problem?
If you have time I would love to see closeups inside the reciever.

Looks WAY better.
Thank You
Link Posted: 8/17/2006 8:45:45 PM EDT
[#7]
RustedAce -

Seriously, just a dremmel and attach the underfolder?  No shit?

Have an old Chinese that I always wanted to fold down.

Thanks.

-Ben
Link Posted: 8/17/2006 9:31:17 PM EDT
[#8]
Hope that setup works out for you....certainly nicer than any bastardized Tapco rifle.
Link Posted: 8/17/2006 9:36:36 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:
What kind of support will the underfolding stock have without its proper trunnion? Wont dirt be able to enter from the exposed rear?

The reciever is plenty of support. I have part of the unfinished wood stock that came with it screwed in to keep dirt out.

Why didnt you just use a side folder instead of fudging the reciever like that?

Becuase I wanted to?

Seriously...why bust on him.  Most of you don't have the know how or the balls to cut into your receivers.  It's a WASR.  If something happens to the receiver you get another and use the parts from the WASR.
Link Posted: 8/17/2006 10:16:26 PM EDT
[#10]
So wait....does it fold?

If it does, that's fuckin sweet!

If it doesn't.....it's still pretty fuckin sweet! Nice work man.
Link Posted: 8/17/2006 10:29:54 PM EDT
[#11]
If you take the stick off you can't put a TAPCO collapsing stock on it later.

Glad you like it.
Link Posted: 8/18/2006 12:14:11 AM EDT
[#12]
Fuggem'

I think it looks fine, and will hold up OK...

If it dont, later on down the road you have a reason to get rid of the WASR receiver and build on a Flat or a NoDak receiver.
Link Posted: 8/18/2006 2:23:30 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Fuggem'

I think it looks fine, and will hold up OK...

If it dont, later on down the road you have a reason to get rid of the WASR receiver and build on a Flat or a NoDak receiver.

That was my thought. The rear trunnior is just held into the recievers by 4 screws on a build, why would this not hold? I always had trouble getting the rear trunnion in just the right place on the builds I have done, and really didnt want to change it out on a fine working ak, so I just put the folder in.

And I do have 2 reciever blanks laying around so if it does fail I will come back and say what a fool I have been and go ahead and replace it, but I bet it holds.

And it folds just fine. I will take pics if I get around to it tommora.
Link Posted: 8/18/2006 1:22:17 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Seriously...why bust on him.  Most of you don't have the know how or the balls to cut into your receivers.  It's a WASR.  If something happens to the receiver you get another and use the parts from the WASR.

For me I really do not give a shit what anybody does to their own property. With that said, he posts showing off his work to a "discussion" forum. In "discussing" it, he needs to understand people are not always going to have his same viewpoint and different opinions will be posted.

Seems funny it would acceptable if he kept it "TAPCO'd" out and the negative commentary would be more forgiven but to many, his mods are more "bubba" than if he kept the TAPCO crap on it.

I am sure if he decides to sell it, someone will buy it. Just like there was still people who bought AMC PACERS back in the day.

Hootbro
Link Posted: 8/18/2006 1:57:20 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

For me I really do not give a shit what anybody does to their own property. With that said, he posts showing off his work to a "discussion" forum. In "discussing" it, he needs to understand people are not always going to have his same viewpoint and different opinions will be posted.

At no time did I cry about peoples comments. I simply stated my belief that it will hold.

Seems funny it would acceptable if he kept it "TAPCO'd" out and the negative commentary would be more forgiven but to many, his mods are more "bubba" than if he kept the TAPCO crap on it.

I have no idea what this sentence means. I have read it a few times, I just cant grasp what it is trying to say.

I am sure if he decides to sell it, someone will buy it. Just like there was still people who bought AMC PACERS back in the day.

A Wasr is already an AMC Pacer, I simply added a fin to it.

Oh yeah, and here is it folding as promised.

On the subject of it not taking the reciol, why would the 4 rear trunion screws hold more than this? The trunion is taking the force of the bolt going back, the stock is just sitting in the reciever. I believe the only reason that the folders have a different trunnion is to cover up the hole in the back.

I went ahead and cut the back part off, becuase if this does fail I will just cut this trunion out and install the correct folding one.

Link Posted: 8/18/2006 2:15:15 PM EDT
[#16]
I like it.  It looks like a Polish folder from the angle the photo was taken.

Cool....

ARCAPTN
Link Posted: 8/18/2006 2:19:42 PM EDT
[#17]
there’s much worse things you could do to an AK - such as weld a 10 round mag into the receiver to comply with CA law.
Link Posted: 8/18/2006 2:21:49 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

At no time did I cry about peoples comments. I simply stated my belief that it will hold.

I have no idea what this sentence means. I have read it a few times, I just cant grasp what it is trying to say.

Oh yeah, and here is it folding as promised.

img291.imageshack.us/img291/1714/p8190001oa0.jpg

On the subject of it not taking the reciol, why would the 4 rear trunion screws hold more than this? The trunion is taking the force of the bolt going back, the stock is just sitting in the reciever. I believe the only reason that the folders have a different trunnion is to cover up the hole in the back.

I went ahead and cut the back part off, becuase if this does fail I will just cut this trunion out and install the correct folding one.

F-in Aye!

You presented a novel approach to an underfolder, I applaude your efforts.

Hope all works well for you.

A toast to all you dremel madmen out there, My dremel was my Mill until I could afford one.  
Link Posted: 8/18/2006 2:51:54 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 8/18/2006 2:56:18 PM EDT
[#20]
Sweet!!!!

That is probably the coolest WASR I have ever seen.

Good job!
 FREE
Link Posted: 8/18/2006 2:59:14 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Because the 4 screws (rivets) do not bear the entire load, there is considerable friction between the trunion and the reviecer when the fasteners have drawn it in place

Hmm makes sense. I will definetly let you guys know if it fails.
Link Posted: 8/18/2006 3:10:08 PM EDT
[#22]
looks great!  screw the nay sayers, i'm sure it will stand up to the recoil.

nice job!
Link Posted: 8/18/2006 3:30:20 PM EDT
[#23]
Rock on! See my sig line.

Link Posted: 8/18/2006 3:41:59 PM EDT
[#24]
My hat is off to you.  You are a living breathing example of the kind of guy who made it possible for us to build AK rifles in our garages and basements.  Fuck the guys who come around nay-saying.  Building AKs is about not giving a shit what anybody else thinks anyway.
Link Posted: 8/18/2006 4:28:42 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Because the 4 screws (rivets) do not bear the entire load, there is considerable friction between the trunion and the reviecer when the fasteners have drawn it in place

Hmm makes sense. I will definetly let you guys know if it fails.

It may not be the "right" way to go it but if it works, that's all that matters.
Put 2K thruogh it and let us know.
Link Posted: 8/18/2006 4:34:45 PM EDT
[#26]
Thats neat ...... Great idea...... Let us know how it works out....... Necessity is the mother of invention !!!!     .
Link Posted: 8/18/2006 6:22:23 PM EDT
[#27]
height=8
Quoted:

I have no idea if it'll last the test of time or not, but I applaud your willingness to give it a try. If the under folder is a fin, what's Tapco, curb feelers?
Link Posted: 8/18/2006 6:39:27 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

If the under folder is a fin, what's Tapco, curb feelers?

Sweet flame decals, or maybe those little fake bullet hole stickers.
Link Posted: 8/18/2006 11:40:22 PM EDT
[#29]
RA
I don't care what the AK police say or feel,you have done something
out of the ordinary and I am interested in the specific details.
When you feel it and have time,please do some detail pics,
who knows, maybe you will start a fad.
If it works,sure looks better.
Link Posted: 8/19/2006 4:35:30 AM EDT
[#30]
Good job !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WarDawg
Link Posted: 8/19/2006 5:00:59 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:I went ahead and cut the back part off, becuase if this does fail I will just cut this trunion out and install the correct folding one.

Except you drilled the holes in completely the wrong place.  Even if you could install the UF trunion, you will still have a gaping hole exposed.  Does the stock even clear the mag when you fold it now?
Link Posted: 8/19/2006 6:17:43 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:I went ahead and cut the back part off, becuase if this does fail I will just cut this trunion out and install the correct folding one.

Except you drilled the holes in completely the wrong place.  Even if you could install the UF trunion, you will still have a gaping hole exposed.  Does the stock even clear the mag when you fold it now?

This is like the Military. Don't ask, don't tell.
Link Posted: 8/19/2006 10:11:08 AM EDT
[#33]
Hey Ace, did you save the stock tang that you sawed off? If you did and don't need it, I could use it. Sent ya an email.
Link Posted: 8/19/2006 10:22:11 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Except you drilled the holes in completely the wrong place.  Even if you could install the UF trunion, you will still have a gaping hole exposed.  

Holes had to be drilled there to clear trunnion, If I am unable to replace the holes on this receiver I can always replace it with one I have laying around, but again I am betting this holds, and am going shooting sunday to put 500rds through it.

Does the stock even clear the mag when you fold it now?

Yes. Easily
Link Posted: 8/19/2006 10:54:32 AM EDT
[#35]
looks good
Link Posted: 8/20/2006 5:22:16 PM EDT
[#36]
500 rds through it today, no noticable wobble or anything like that, still very tight, I cant see any bending or warping, I will keep you informed.
Link Posted: 8/20/2006 5:24:38 PM EDT
[#37]
Cool

F### um if they can't take a joke......
Link Posted: 8/20/2006 9:03:17 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
500 rds through it today, no noticable wobble or anything like that, still very tight, I cant see any bending or warping, I will keep you informed.

Looks great - glad it is functioning well!  Keep us informed.
Link Posted: 8/20/2006 9:09:56 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Glad you were able to fire off some rounds today.

Would be curious to see detailed pics of the opperation to add the folder.
Link Posted: 8/20/2006 9:54:01 PM EDT
[#40]
Outstanding!
WECSOG rules!
Link Posted: 8/21/2006 1:08:30 PM EDT
[#41]
Why not one of these?

Folder w/Trunion
Link Posted: 8/23/2006 8:37:43 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

I am still interested in detailed pics.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top