Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 1/9/2006 6:18:04 PM EDT
I'm looking at k-var and different internet sites for various AK74 mags and I'm totally confused!

I see some that are bulgarian brown and red, some russian plum, orange bakolite and east german bakolites. I also see black bulgarian mags too.

Prices range from $7 to $30 per mag. I'm seeing orange East german mags that are like $10 per mag and russian ones that are $30 a piece but I also see the same russian mags for $15 other places. Bulgarian mags confuse me with the circle 10 or 22 or whatever numbers they have.

What is the best mag for the 74 and what is best value mag as well. I want a reliable mag not crap and will pay more if necessary but with all the choices I don't want to be taken.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 6:24:17 PM EDT
[#1]
They're all functionally equivalent.  Buy on price and personal preference.  I kinda like the look of a bakelite EG mag with the contrast of a black rifle, but to each his own.  Bulgies are cool too, and they come in a bunch of colors.  Don't pay more than $10 per mag...ORF is a good place to get them from.

take care,
Tec
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 6:55:18 PM EDT
[#2]
The last batch i got were the bulgy ones from ORF that they had for $36.00 for 12.

Great mags and pouches too. All of them in excellent condition with pouches.
Got 9 black 2 brown and 1 plum.
Came out to about $3.65 each with shipping... hard to beat that.

Look at the EE for some. You should be able to find some there pretty cheap.

KyARGuy
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 7:11:28 PM EDT
[#3]
AH I see.

I also like the orange mags. I also like the brown bulgarian mags too.

Thanks for the help.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 9:01:05 PM EDT
[#4]
Different colored mags were one of Communism's downfalls. After laying eyes upon them the metrosexuals among their armed forces 'came out of the closet' and tried to set things right. Orange Bakelite with a black rifle, black magazine with plum, etc. It did not go well.

Link Posted: 1/9/2006 11:37:50 PM EDT
[#5]
I've ran nothing but EG bakelites and they've never given me a problem.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 4:35:15 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 7:46:14 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
The cheaper the better IMO. I don't care what color they are, as long as they work, and I don't have to pay a lot for them.

Good point, VA-gunnut.  

Generally speaking, any AK74 mag that hasn't been abused will function 100%.  So it's mostly a matter of personal preference, really.  Do you mind if your mag shows a little wear?  Do you care what color it is?  If not, you can get a perfectly functional and reliable magazine for a very good price.  If you want a specific color or a magazine from a specific country for personal reasons, it may cost you a little more.

I have 4 AK74 magazines:  3 russian plum mags and 1 EG bakelite.  I'll be looking for a few more this year but like VA-gunnut I don't really care what kind.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top