Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 8/11/2005 1:47:05 PM EDT
And it looks like it did a fine job of saving him and his mutt.

www.ak47.net/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=378314

Now I have had plenty of close encounters with predators up here, especially Black Bear. Today, I get out on remote walking trail and my dog runs down a hill to a creek to get some water. At least that's what I think. All of a sudden it is very quiet and then some ruckus( more than one animal). I can't see anything but all of a sudden I hear alot of scraping. I look at the direction it is coming from and there are 2 bear cubs climbing a tree. About a second later all Hell breaks loose. And the racket is moving up hill towards me. Aw shit, I am thinking as I clack the slector and bring my rifle up. They are both now visible coming up the hill right at the trail about 15m ahead of me. The Sow is about 6ft behind my dog who hits the trail and turns right for me. By now the Sow has turned and is coming right at me, only a foot or two behind my dog and swiping at her as she runs, snarling and snapping. Fucking thing is really pissed. Dog is right in front and is about 1/3 the height of the bear. 10m. Dog is a little on the left side of the bear and my first shot is just over her and into the right low chest. The sow drops about an inch and is recovering her stride as I am squeezing for the second shot and my dog crosses in front turning right to get around a bush. Bang! Second shot left upper chest as the bear is turning, with the angle of shot right at the vitals. Now turning more, she is almost turned in the front half and my 3rd shot is right behind the shoulder, again into the vitals. First 3 shots in under 1 second. Sow rolls onto her back, thrashes and then rolls forward onto her haunches, extends her neck out and takes one last roar. Bang, bang. Double tap to the neck. One in the vessels, second up into the Cspine.

If I had been unarmed I'd be digesting right now, no question at all in my mind. That bear was pissed and wasn't stopping for shit. I don't think even a handgun would have been sufficient at all. At the least my dog would be dead and I'd have been badly wounded.

Training paid off bigtime though. No panic, no hesitation, stayed cool. When it was obvious it was kill or be killed I did the job in fine fashion. Pissed at my dog though. The Sow only did what she had to from her perspective and I felt sick to my stomach with each squeeze of the trigger. Damn shame to kill something for nothing.

But we both survived

Link Posted: 8/11/2005 5:22:14 PM EDT
[#1]
So what the hell? I figured this story would really hit it off over here. Guy kills a bear set on killing him and his pooch, does so with a MAK-90, and lives to tell the tale.

A handgun or a bolt action might not have cut it at all here.

I've seen bear attacks and that's the way they go down so obviously guy knows what he is talking about. Anyhow, I thought it was a good read.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 5:29:05 PM EDT
[#2]
It shows the usefullness of an AK, but it sucks reading about a bear dying just because it was unlucky enough to cross paths with a guy and his dog.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 5:55:26 PM EDT
[#3]
That guy got really lucky......I heard a story once about a guy that shot a charging sow blackbear with a 30-06 two times before it reached him....it then proceeded to maul the hell out of him before it died....It really is unfortunate to hear of  wild animal/human encounters that have to end with an animal having to be put down...especially a sow being killed, and leaving two orphaned cubs who probably will not survive....all I have to say is that dude was really lucky...he needs to wear a bell or something when he goes hiking(to alert wildlife of his presence, and scare them away), maybe carry some pepperspray...believe it or not that stuff really will stop a bear..he's lucky to still be alive, not to mention the pooch.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 5:56:19 PM EDT
[#4]
the bear cubs....what about the bear cubs?
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 5:57:04 PM EDT
[#5]
Yeah the same way I felt. Bear was just protecting her cubs and the guy was was protecting his life. It was a Lose  &  Lose situation.. Really ain't know way to feel good about it. Gald he walked away alive and safe. I would have had to do the same thing and would have felt like shit when it was over. WD
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 6:00:21 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 6:30:24 PM EDT
[#7]
how can you tell it was an AK, a MAK-90 even?

Ben
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 6:35:50 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
how can you tell it was an AK, a MAK-90 even?

Ben

Go further down in the original thread. People wanted to know so he emailed the guy back.

He said he felt pretty bad about it but the only alternative was being eaten.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 6:37:40 PM EDT
[#9]
Went Black bear hunting with a bow and .45 pistol as backup. Any way found a spot for my climbing tree stand at dusk and went back in the morning. The ATV drops me off and I climbing down the side of the mountain in pitch dark with a flashlight looking for the stand.

Come a cross some litter and upset me that someone came during the night and was littering. Noticed that there was a trail of litter followed up to my stand and reliased a bear had come and tore it up. Every where he smelt me he ripped it up.

Then it dawns on me is he still here, did a little sweep with the flash light and climbed up the tree. It's amazing how fast you climb with a little motivation.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 6:45:33 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Went Black bear hunting with a bow and .45 pistol as backup. Any way found a spot for my climbing tree stand at dusk and went back in the morning. The ATV drops me off and I climbing down the side of the mountain in pitch dark with a flashlight looking for the stand.

Come a cross some litter and upset me that someone came during the night and was littering. Noticed that there was a trail of litter followed up to my stand and reliased a bear had come and tore it up. Every where he smelt me he ripped it up.

Then it dawns on me is he still here, did a little sweep with the flash light and climbed up the tree. It's amazing how fast you climb with a little motivation.

You might be interested to know they can run 30mph for short distances. The one in question was overtaking the dog.

Even juveniles and smaller adults can climb trees also.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 6:49:53 PM EDT
[#11]

I don't think even a handgun would have been sufficient at all.

I think the .500 S&W would have done a good job.. But I bet it was way more fun with a AK..
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 7:01:36 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

You've heard that joke about how to tell if a sleeping bear is a black bear or a grizzly bear?  You go up to it while it's sleeping, kick it the ass and run up a tree.  If it climbs up the tree and kills you, then it's a black bear and if it knocks down the tree and kills you then it's a grizzly.    I heard this one when I was living in Montana where they've got both types.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 7:06:18 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 7:17:33 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

You've heard that joke about how to tell if a sleeping bear is a black bear or a grizzly bear?  You go up to it while it's sleeping, kick it the ass and run up a tree.  If it climbs up the tree and kills you, then it's a black bear and if it knocks down the tree and kills you then it's a grizzly.    I heard this one when I was living in Montana where they've got both types.

Yep, and our ancestors faced these animals and bigger ones with sharp pieces of flint on sticks.

That's probably a big part of the reason attacks were more common then.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 7:20:57 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yep, and our ancestors faced these animals and bigger ones with sharp pieces of flint on sticks.

Helps that we have bigger brains huh ?

Good shoot.....hope the DNR is able to pick up the cubs though. Wonder what kind of ammo he was using.

Ben
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 5:58:08 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Yeah the same way I felt. Bear was just protecting her cubs and the guy was was protecting his life. It was a Lose  &  Lose situation.. Really ain't know way to feel good about it. Gald he walked away alive and safe. I would have had to do the same thing and would have felt like shit when it was over. WD

+1
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 7:04:19 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

That's probably a big part of the reason attacks were more common then.

And part of the reason that the bears were fatter too I'd guess.  Of course back then there was space for a bear to live without running across people every ten minutes.

As for the "bear spray", it may have worked.  It also may not have, and further may have ended up on Our Hero.  Once the intensity dies down though, the bear will be back to roll around in the stuff.

Nosir, I'd prefer the AK to the airborne seasonings.  

Against a charging bear at close range, I'd be hard pressed to choose between a slug gun and an AK.  Definitely an effect vs volume question there.  
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 8:13:49 AM EDT
[#18]
Sounds like the guy needs to get a leash for his dog...
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 8:19:14 AM EDT
[#19]
i herd a story of a guy killing a bear with a 10/22. shot it right in the nose.

as for this, i woulda done the same. ill never let anything hurt my best friend. i feel bad for the bear thou. but thats what it came to
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 9:42:26 AM EDT
[#20]
I wonder what ammo he was using.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 10:03:47 AM EDT
[#21]
after I put the bear down, I'd lit my dog up for pissing a bear off, then bringing it back to meet me.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 10:15:44 AM EDT
[#22]
That's a pretty scary situation. He kept a cool head and a steady hand. Good on him!
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 10:34:11 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Sounds like the guy needs to get a leash for his dog...

A leash?

Dude, you obviously are from the city. Stay there.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 2:42:17 PM EDT
[#24]
I wonder if a '74 would have done the same number on the bear...

Ben
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 3:30:46 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
I wonder if a '74 would have done the same number on the bear...

Ben

Doubt it.
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 5:46:31 AM EDT
[#26]
Maybe thats why we have an overpopulation these days, Nobody out hunting thier own food = nobody getting eaten by various kinds of animals. But thats an idea, lets get all the stupid people we know (Biggerstick47) and have them go on a "primitive hunt" give em some rocks and stuff and tell em its a new kind of vacation. Hell lets charge em 500 bucks a weekend too!
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 8:03:26 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
Maybe thats why we have an overpopulation these days, Nobody out hunting thier own food = nobody getting eaten by various kinds of animals. But thats an idea, lets get all the stupid people we know (Biggerstick47) and have them go on a "primitive hunt" give em some rocks and stuff and tell em its a new kind of vacation. Hell lets charge em 500 bucks a weekend too!

That'd be a great way to get rid of a bunch of liberal PETA types.

Hmmm, maybe that has potential for a new business.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top