Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 5/1/2003 1:08:23 PM EDT
Was looking into this... and found one place that offers a short weaver style rail that can be screwed and bolted underneath an AK lower handguard. This then allows the addition of a Knight style foregrip... or whatever accessory you would want to mount. (They also offer a longer version that could mount a grip + something else... light... laser... etc...)

Now... I've seen this... as well as the wooden ones where the lower handguard and grip are actualy carved out of the same piece of wood... but are there any others? Even better... any pics of an AK with the Knight-type foregrip on it?
Link Posted: 5/1/2003 3:51:02 PM EDT
[#1]
I love verticle grips on my AR carbines.  I dont like them on my Galil or AKs for one reason.  The AK's require you to cam the magazine into the magazine well and often due to the short barrels on AKs the verticle foregrip can slow down or complicate your reloads.
Link Posted: 5/2/2003 4:26:12 AM EDT
[#2]
I've got the same set-up on my AK103 and it works great, but you do have to mount the vertical grip a little more forward to allow for rocking the magazine into the latch. There are also a few other concerns about mounting the weaver rail, but If you're serious, I'll send you an email to help you over the pitfalls I tripped on. I can email a picture, but I can't post one unless someone does it for me.
Link Posted: 5/2/2003 8:50:06 AM EDT
[#3]
i've been curious to try this also.  email the pic to [email protected] and i'll post it for you.

thanks.
Link Posted: 5/2/2003 9:03:41 AM EDT
[#4]
wushudude, where did you find that?  

Short of just making one for mine (which would be kinda fun) I'm kinda out of luck unless I want a wood foregrip, which I don't.
Link Posted: 5/2/2003 9:17:17 AM EDT
[#5]
Found it here...

http://www.tacticalgears.com

They sell a set which consists of a set of handguards with a (4" ?) picatinny rail installed and a foregrip... but that doesn't really interest me... I have my own handguards... and the foregrip doesn't look to be of the same caliber of quality of say a Knight's RAS grip... but if does illustrate how it can be done.

In the AR section... they have for sale the small version of the rail which could accomodate a single item. $10.

So... I figure that... +$40 or so for a high quality grip... and you'd be set.

Also... with this setup... it looks like you could mount the grip pretty far forward on the lower handguard... negating any mag loading issues... although I'd have to experience it first hand... but some "testing" last night led me to believe it's very doable.

As a side note... the afore mentioned site also sells a barrel mount that has room for one item... I would think it would look a bit jerry rigged once installed... but it could be another option for those concerned about the close proximity to to mag during loading...

Cheers.
Link Posted: 5/2/2003 10:21:52 AM EDT
[#6]
instead of having to wade thru a very badly done web page and a slow ass server, here's a link directly to the good stuff! they say it's made by choate (i think, they spell it choete). lotta very cool toys!

http://www.tacticalgears.com/ak/acc.htm
Link Posted: 5/5/2003 5:39:30 AM EDT
[#7]
Fowler23,

Sorry, I was out of town this past weekend. I will get some pics to you tonight for posting. Thanks for the sponsor.

VSP
Link Posted: 5/5/2003 8:40:06 AM EDT
[#8]
Here's a picatinny rail/ tactical foregrip set-up www.rpbusa.net/misc.html .
Link Posted: 5/5/2003 8:49:47 AM EDT
[#9]
If you can find them here and you just want a foregrip-I have used the Romanian forward slant for a few years now and I love it. It keeps better control than the vertical post that is so common nowadays and is more comfortable IMHO.
Link Posted: 5/6/2003 8:30:02 AM EDT
[#10]
If someone want's to host 'em and post 'em... I have a couple pics of this setup sent to me by VSP...

Looks pretty good to me...  :-)

Shoot me an emil and I'll send em to you.

Cheers
Link Posted: 5/6/2003 11:07:45 AM EDT
[#12]
Thanks for posting my pics. If you guys have any questions, let me know.

VSP
Link Posted: 5/6/2003 11:09:10 AM EDT
[#13]
no problem.  glad i could help.
Link Posted: 5/6/2003 11:28:33 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
I love verticle grips on my AR carbines.  

Yep - me too.  I have three active AR-15 carbines and have vertical grips on all.
Link Posted: 5/10/2003 11:01:25 AM EDT
[#15]
fowler, tell me about the rifle 7.62 right?
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Top Top