Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 9/26/2005 6:06:31 AM EDT
We had a build party this past weekend and I believe that we did four Rommy "G" barrel pins.  one of the four came right out while three others required extensive work to get them out.  While pressing out my own Rommy "G" I managed to bend a half-inch long 1/4-inch Grade 8-bolt while pressing on my 12-ton press.  I hate to think just how much force was on this little pin and it never budged...

One of the guys at the party had the suggestion to get a new bolt and put the pin under pressure and give the bottom of the jack a whack with a hammer...  Well, the pin came out with much less force with just a few whacks of the hammer while the press was still applying force on the pin.

I posted the suggested over at gunsnet and a member there that had two pins that wouldn't budge previously tried it and he said he got both of his pins out using this trick.  Give it a try but as it was the first time I had ever seen a short Grade 8 bolt bend like that and the second go round I doubt if I used 1/2 the force I had applied the first time without the whack and this second try with a couple moderate to strong whacks from the BFH the pin came right out!

Link Posted: 9/26/2005 6:18:08 AM EDT
[#1]
That's how I did my AMD pins and it made quick work of them.

One word of caution, make sure you tighten the vise again after EVERY hit.  I had a cheap Chinese vise and doing this will stress the jaw... I broke the front jaw of mine right off.
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 10:13:18 AM EDT
[#2]
I have wo amds that will not budge, even with visa, bfh, WACK!

I have gone through 10 of those grade 8, pin has not moved a millimeter.

any other bright ideas?

I even soaked them in kroil first
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 10:51:36 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

any other bright ideas?

Might try a 1/4 dowel pin. Much harder than a grade 8 bolt. Use the shortest one you can to get it started so it won't bend. Wear saftey gear since it is hardened it can shatter. I have used the pins for stubbron retaining pins at work. Gets kinda scary in a 50 ton hyd. press but the dowel pins held up much better than using bolts. As a last resort you can drill most of the pin out then it should come out. You can use the shank od the correct size drill bit to replace the retaining pin with instead of ordering a pin.
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 11:49:39 AM EDT
[#4]
I put some penetrating oil on one side of the pin and heated up the trunion around it with a butane torch (don't get it too hot).  Do this for a while to draw the oil down in along the pin.  Keep the trunion hot when you press it and smack the vise.
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 11:50:31 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

any other bright ideas?

I also saw posted here... sorry I don't know who to give credits to but it's one of the regulars here....

The suggestion was to heat one side of the pin in the trunion and add oil to the opposite side of the pin.  The advise was that the heat works to draw the oil into the hole around the pin.  I know I had seen someone in the past that had a problem (in the last month or two) and this suggestion had helped them....

I have three more of these "G" kits to do so I may get a chance to do more experimenting myself...

Also, if you are doing this in a vise you are not getting anywhere near the force we get with a 12 or 20-ton press...  You might need to find someone that can may let you use their press.

Oh yea, when doing barrel pins I ALWAYS wear safety goggles or a shield and I keep my face back...  This is a world of force we are putting on a tiny 1/4-inch surface!
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 11:51:38 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I put some penetrating oil on one side of the pin and heated up the trunion around it with a butane torch (don't get it too hot).  Do this for a while to draw the oil down in along the pin.  Keep the trunion hot when you press it and smack the vise.

Get out of my head you --->
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 12:00:08 PM EDT
[#7]
^
|

DUPE!!!

Link Posted: 9/26/2005 4:48:57 PM EDT
[#8]
Tagging this for upcoming Romy G builds.
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 6:23:09 PM EDT
[#9]
It seems to me that if whacking works in a vise as well as in a powerful 12/20 ton press, that the operative thing may be the whack (kinetic energy) -- not the pushing force (momentum).

Someone ought to do an experiment and see if a stuck pin (like Q bore described above) will come out with a whack in a small vise after failure in a press.
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 7:28:33 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
It seems to me that if whacking works in a vise as well as in a powerful 12/20 ton press, that the operative thing may be the whack (kinetic energy) -- not the pushing force (momentum).

Someone ought to do an experiment and see if a stuck pin (like Q bore described above) will come out with a whack in a small vise after failure in a press.

I don't need an experiment to know that a press takes a distant back seat to a 4 pound hammer and a good punch on pins and barrels too.

But to answer your question, yes it will. and if it doesn't, turn it over and beat the other direction
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 7:57:57 PM EDT
[#11]
What's a BFH?
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 8:13:53 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
What's a BFH?

Big F@&#ing Hammer
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 8:44:50 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 3:49:44 PM EDT
[#14]
Tag
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 8:09:51 AM EDT
[#15]

i got lucky with my romy "g" kit,.. i put it on the flat part of my small vise with a washer on the under side like mocha showed us at the last build,..got a punch and my fearsom orange 16oz hammer and went at it,..i think it to a total of 5 - 8 whacks before it was out
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 9:02:29 AM EDT
[#16]
Arre barrel pins tapered? Does it matter which side you push from?

I assume the same pin can be re-used?
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 12:52:13 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Arre barrel pins tapered? Does it matter which side you push from?

Depends who you ask. The current thinking is that since they were pressed in right to left (shooters view) that they should be pressed out left to right. Others will tell you that they've measured the pin and it isn't tapered.

While not scientific, I can tell you that I decided to press one out right to left and it was REALLY a bite. The second kit I pressed left to right and it was relatively easy.
YMMV

I assume the same pin can be re-used?

Unless you gall, bend or otherwise damage it.

Have fun,
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 1:48:16 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

any other bright ideas?

Send them to ME!!
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 3:51:33 PM EDT
[#19]
Tag for 3 kits I have coming
Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top