Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 8/25/2004 7:19:15 PM EDT
I have neglected my Maadi AK47, pretty much since I bought it. I have taken it to the range alot, but never cleaned it, but it kept firing. Now I want to show it some love. Because I have not tooled around with AK's, I have some questions.

1) How do I tell if mine is "Stamped" or "Milled"?

Because I will either refinish the wood stock or replace with synthetic stocks;

2) How do I remove the front handguards? Are there special tools to use?

The metal is pretty crappy looking;

3) Is there a way I can refinish the barrel, receiver, etc.? Or is that something I need to send it out for?
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 7:26:36 PM EDT
[#1]
Your Maadi is an ARM/AKM, which means it has a stamped reciever.  

As far as the handguards go, first clear the rifle, remove the reciever  cover, and pull out the bolt carrier.   Once it's out, there's a lever on the right side of the rear sight base, just below the sight.  Flip that up using the slot on your cleaning kit.  it'll take some playing around to get the angle right, but once you do, the upper handguard will slide upwards from the rear and out.

For the lower, there's again another lever, this time kind of hidden on the flange on the front/right side of the handguard.  Flip that up, and the flange will slide forward, freeing the handguard.
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 7:26:45 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 7:43:18 PM EDT
[#3]
Perfect, THANKS!

I think I'll try Guncoat, see how that goes.
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 9:32:32 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Perfect, THANKS!

Regardless, it should come out looking nicer than the factory finish. (No offense to the Maadi fans, of course they probably know that...)

I'd refinish the laminate wood if it needs it, bunches cheaper than buying new. Like they say..("if it ain't broke...")
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 7:12:21 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Perfect, THANKS!

Regardless, it should come out looking nicer than the factory finish. (No offense to the Maadi fans, of course they probably know that...)

I'd refinish the laminate wood if it needs it, bunches cheaper than buying new. Like they say..("if it ain't broke...")

Very true on both counts. And I like cheaper.
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 9:33:57 AM EDT
[#6]
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top