Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Russian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 9/4/2011 6:43:17 AM EDT
I keep running into this argument that the original Saiga's had no dimples along the receiver and they eventually started showing up because of production over run?
Link Posted: 9/4/2011 6:58:19 AM EDT
[#1]
I have no dimples on mine.  I read on some Russian resources that they just decided to use mill spec AK-74 receivers instead of civilian models to cut costs - they still use the chamber step to mark spent brass
Link Posted: 9/4/2011 6:58:21 AM EDT
[#2]

Z
Link Posted: 9/4/2011 7:03:56 AM EDT
[#3]
mine:

Link Posted: 9/4/2011 7:16:59 AM EDT
[#4]
mine:

Link Posted: 9/12/2011 8:38:08 PM EDT
[#5]
Correct, orginally there where no dimples. There were however a small lot of 7.62x39 rifles brought in a few years ago that did indeed have dimpled receivers. Those were explained as using over-run mil-spec receivers from a recent contract. That theory is supported by the Y (left side) and I (right side) stamps were the auto sear hole would have been drilled. Normally Saigas do not have this, even the newer ones with dimples lack that feature.

Dimples were added to newer Saigas mostly due to request from US customers. Maybe it does reduce cost as the factory can use the same line for either receiver now, minus a few machining ops, OR more likely they learned idea of demand = more $$$ both in sales and increased price with miniumal increase in cost.
Link Posted: 9/15/2011 8:13:13 AM EDT
[#6]
When the dimples first started appearing I had Chris Butler of AK-USA grab me one and build me an AK-103 using a complete Russian side folding stock.

Absolutely beautiful!

That was back in 2006...maybe 2005.

Sadly, I have yet to fire it.

Link Posted: 10/2/2011 11:15:00 AM EDT
[#7]
Saiga on Venezuelan AK-103 overrun receiver; note the Y and I stamps, and the obliterated military export mark

A key feature of this particular rifle are the magazine well dimples and extra receiver stampings which suggest a military heritage. These features are typically ommited on civilian/export semiauto Saiga rifles. However, it is widely believed that as a result of Venezuelan president Hugo Chavez's order of 100,000 AK-103 units from the Izhmash factory in 2005, most of the 2006 Saiga sporter rifles were built literally alongside the contract AK-103 production run for the Venezuelan army (which ended in late summer 2006). As a result, a certain folklore has developed around these unique 2006 Saiga rifles, suggesting that the rifles used “overrun” parts from the Venezuelan production contract. I tend to believe there is some substance to this story, although it is important to recognize that these rifles do not violate any US import or BATF regulations regarding semiauto firearms.
Page AK-47 » Russian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top