Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 2/5/2006 11:47:36 AM EDT
This is my first build...definitely made a few mistakes on this one, like mislocated holes. I welded those up and redrilled. One of the lower rails popped off (crummy mig weld, had to redo it), and it looks pretty rough. I didn't even bother to paint it. I figure I'll be rebuilding it in the future.

Anyways, the bolt carrier still sticks a bit in the rearward position, making it a single shot. It needed a nudge to pick up the next round and go forward. Need to take a bit more off the rails, looks like.

Definitely has potential! :)

as soon as I take care of  this one, its on to the other romy and the polish underfolder.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 12:35:07 PM EDT
[#1]
best thing to do I've found is to take a few files and a magic marker with me the first time I shoot a build.  marker the hell out of the upper and lower rails, then you can see if it is binding anywhere by looking for where the marker is rubbed off.  just adjust as needed

anyway congrats on the new build
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 4:01:40 PM EDT
[#2]
Actually, after cleaning the gun and checking over carefully, it doesn't appear to be the rails after all.

It looks like the bolt carrier, at the bottom front of the bolt housing, is dragging hard on the corner of the new hammer.

In just about any other position, there is enough spring force to close the bolt, but the wolf I was shooting was kicking it just this far back so that it hung up on the hammer.

It looks like I'll have to take the hammer out and grid a little bit off.  Maybe some off the bolt carrier too, or at least make it a smoother transition.

John
Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top