Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » SKS
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 3/28/2006 7:44:37 AM EDT
I recently bought a Yugo SKS and I someone told me that there are 5 (well I think it was 5, could have been 4) serial numbers that need to match otherwise it’s not an authentic SKS. Anyway only 3 of the serial number match on my rifle. I can't find more then 4 serial numbers! Does this mean that it’s not authentic? I hope I could get some good information back on this, it just has me wondering.

Thanks,
Joe....
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 9:15:10 AM EDT
[#1]
I'm trying to remember where I've seen them.

Typical:
1) Side of receiver
2) bottom of trigger guard
3) back of receiver cover
4) bottom of magazine

Also on occasion I've seen the serial# on:
5) the bolt itself
6) the stock
7) the gas tube (only seen this once, on a Chinese SKS I bought last week)
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 9:28:55 AM EDT
[#2]
on my 45 i have it on

receiver
gas tube
stock
trigger
bolt
fire pin assembly
rear sight
dust cover
bayo
piston
mag
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 9:32:33 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I recently bought a Yugo SKS and I someone told me that there are 5 (well I think it was 5, could have been 4) serial numbers that need to match otherwise it’s not an authentic SKS. Anyway only 3 of the serial number match on my rifle. I can't find more then 4 serial numbers! Does this mean that it’s not authentic? I hope I could get some good information back on this, it just has me wondering.

Thanks,
Joe....

Your yugo SKS is an "authentic" SKS.
If serial numbers don't match, all it means is that a part got broken, and was replaced.
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 9:35:58 AM EDT
[#4]
Got-ya thanks for the info guys. It was just running through my mind the past few days so I was just wondering.

Thanks.
From,
Joe....
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 10:42:39 AM EDT
[#5]
Bolt carrier
receiver
magazine (electropencil on mine)
dust cover (electropencil on mine)
bolt
buttstock
trigger guard (electropencil on mine)
gas tube (electropencil on mine)

That's all I could find on mine.  The electropencilled numbers are only 3 numerals long.
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 11:36:36 AM EDT
[#6]
I agree with the Doc.
I bought a unissued all matching Yugo that is a great shooter. I have 1000 rounds through it now and it's been perfect.
I recently bought my son a $79 shooter grade. Frosted bore and no matching numbers. But it has sharp rifling and a solid stock. Trigger feels pretty good too. Very good finish except for buffing wear on magazine bottom. Spent a day cleaning it up. Shoots as well as my mint one! It was well used and carried alot. But it looked like the soldier who had it cared for it well. Worn and used alot  but not abused. These are damn good rifles.
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 1:09:36 PM EDT
[#7]
Yes they are good rifles, I was thinking about buying another and just leaving this one in its original state and buying another to sup it up a bit. I like the tactical line of firearms. They make great plinking rifles and are very cheap to shoot .

From,
Joe....
Page AK-47 » SKS
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top