Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 3/20/2006 10:31:31 AM EDT
I'm new to the Dark Side, and had a question about the long handguard on Saiga rifles...Will this handguard fit a standard AK rifle?  Any mods needed?  I couldn't find anything using the Search feature.

I handled a Saiga at a show over the weekend, and liked the feel of the handguard.  

--Otter
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 11:25:15 AM EDT
[#1]
The quick answer is no, not without serious modification.  I'm sure it could be made to fit but it would take some work.

The saiga handguard has a unique way of attaching to the rifle.  The tab that goes between the  front trunnion and reciever shell is the only AK-ish thing about it.  There's also a long drift pin through the gas block that fits into a notch in the handguard and a screw that secures the whole thing.

Link Posted: 3/20/2006 11:27:12 AM EDT
[#2]
You would have to remove the issue handguard retainer, replace one pin with long pin on your gas block and drill a hole in your receiver for the retaining screw.  I would check around and try other drop-in handguards that you might like the feel of before you make the modification.
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 12:10:09 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 12:38:43 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the info.  That's disappointing...I guess I'll keep looking for alternatives.

--Otter
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 5:02:12 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 12:56:29 PM EDT
[#6]
Yep!  I've been researching that too...

-- Saiga Forum  (lots of good links under the Tech Section  of the Welcome Forum there...)

-- Saiga Conversion

Haven't really looked at a VEPR yet...that's next.

--Otter
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top