Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 3/12/2005 9:52:52 AM EDT
I'm looking at doing a Saiga conversion project for something to do. I don't really have anything I would consider a "good" home defense weapon and I'm trying to justify one or the other.
Here are my qualifications,
1)I want something that has enough stopping power to get the job done. Are there decent .410 rounds for this purpose?
2) I live in an average 1600ft ranch style home with 2x4 and 1/2" drywall construction. Shooting ranges would typically be in the 10'-20' range max. I don't want something that will over-penetrate and harm family members in other rooms.
3) My wife, who I'm most conserned about having something to defend herself with if necessary, has a small build and I want her to feel comfortable with using it if necessary.
4) Reliability-are either gauge known to have issues? Most likely going to get the highest capacity mag I can find and keep it partially loaded (2 or 3 rounds). Once again, I have the ability to load up under pressure or deal with a misfeed, I don't feel my wife could.

I know most of this leans toward the .410, but I just don't know if it has the knock down power, particularly if the bad guy takes cover behind someting. The odds of ever needing it in the burbs are very slim, but you never know. As a mechanic, I have a lot of "the right tool for the job" in me, also the resale value of the converted shotgun is always in the back of my mind. Just wanted some opinions from shotgun enthusiasts as I'm not well versed in the effectiveness of different gauges.
Thanks for your time, Mark
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 10:00:33 AM EDT
[#1]
I think you could get by with a .410 and not have a problem at all with the right load. If you go with a 12 dont go off and get magnum slugs or 00 buck like some people do. With a 12 you could use cheap bird shot and still knock the F*#K out of a intruder. Just my opinion though.
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 10:05:46 AM EDT
[#2]
I'd go 12 gauge for versatility and stick with #1 or #4 buck, less wall penetration and still plenty of lead to jack some bad guys day up
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 12:29:08 PM EDT
[#3]
Check out Old Painless's Box of Truth. He shows how 12 gauges and other rounds like 5.56, 7.62x51, 9mm, and .45 penetrate drywall.
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 2:45:38 PM EDT
[#4]
That "box of trueth" site is slick.  I never would have guessed that a 12ga slug could do that kind of damage, but I guess with the mass of a slug it carries a lot of energy.  6 sheets is still too much, I assume there are lighter loads. I was also surprised at the tight group, wonder what kind of choke was being used. Is there a diverter available that produces more of a spread that will fit an externally threaded Saiga 12?
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 5:10:44 PM EDT
[#5]
That BoT site OP has done is great. And that thread on the mags as body armor....cool...

Link Posted: 3/12/2005 5:50:49 PM EDT
[#6]
I think I would compromise on a Saiga 20 Ga.
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 7:55:00 PM EDT
[#7]
Get the Saiga-12. You can always "step down" in power and shoot low-base for low recoil practice and during a serious social situation neither you or her will notice the recoil of full power loads. However, you cannot "step-up" in power from the .410 or 20ga. Another vote for #1 Buck for HD.
Tomac
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 8:26:37 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 4:55:49 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I'm a big believer in the KISS principle.......and if she isn't going to get much range time with the gun, the pump might be easier to deal with.

As am I, just be sure she gets enough training and range time to avoid short-stroking a pump when under stress.
Tomac
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 12:22:56 PM EDT
[#10]
Tomac, quit sucking me in with the picture of that damn thing. It's hard enough to maintain self control shopping as it is. I'm trying to hold out for a short barrel to convert, but the auction prices are just stupid.  Should have hit CDNN a month ago.
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 12:42:12 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 12:57:49 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Tomac, quit sucking me in with the picture of that damn thing. It's hard enough to maintain self control shopping as it is. I'm trying to hold out for a short barrel to convert, but the auction prices are just stupid.  Should have hit CDNN a month ago.

Who, me??? (Buy a Saiga...) I wouldn't do anything like that! (BUY A SAIGA...) I'm completely innocent... (BUY A SAIGA!!!...)
Tomac
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top