Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » SKS
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 6/13/2009 5:38:25 AM EDT
I have one of the Norinco carbines w/a rail on the left side of the frame (not the receiver cover). I have been told it was sold as a "cowboy's companion'?????
Are the scope mounts available?? Are they pricey???
I've tried one of the mounts that replaces the rear sight blade and uses a red dot or EER scope w/poor results (might be me).
Heard too many bad things about the receiver cover replacements (not hard to see why).

Any info appreciated.
Mike
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 8:35:25 AM EDT
[#1]
www.kalinkaoptics.com

Look for mounts that re for the SKS/SVD family. The AK pattern mounts are slightly different and will not work on that particular rail, even though they look almost identical.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 4:44:52 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks Wyldman,

I was hoping someone on this site might have one for sale. I have no idea what these things may cost - not really interested in spending a lot of money.

Appreciate it.

Mike
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 8:05:28 AM EDT
[#3]
Whether you buy from them or not, Kalinka's website is gold mine of information. Among the suggested reading would be information on the BP-02 mount which mounts on the side rail, and costs about $35 or so when available in their "scratch and dent" section. It has a centered-over-the-bore-line Weaver rail that can be used to mount any kind of standard optic or sight. IIRC, the side mount rail and attendant hardware isn't expensive and can be installed pretty cheaply by a gunsmith or a knowledgable amatuer.

If you intend to use optics, of any kind, on this rifle, this would be the way to go about it.

Otherwise, just leave the iron sights on it. Any other method of attaching optics is, at best, suspect.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 4:30:48 AM EDT
[#4]
Thanks Wyldman,

I e-mailed Kalinka and sent them a picture of the carbine. I hope they get back to me w/some good news.
I'm certainly not interested in doing precision shooting w/this rig, just want to wring out all the accuracy I can. Once I get a good sighting system, I'll try some handloads. Basically, it would be used for popping porky's from pine perches (sorry... too many P's). But that can be a tough shot at 150' straight up!!

Whatever the firearm... accuracy is fun!!

Thanks again,

Mike

Link Posted: 6/15/2009 8:53:00 AM EDT
[#5]
The side rail on the Chinese SKS rifle are often referred to as the rail to nowhere due to the fact that the rails are specific to the Chinese SKS and scopes issued on these rifles,you can run across those specific scope &  mounts on occasion but they are rare.  Your best option would be to purchase a universal rail that fits the Russian scopes sold on kalinkaoptics.com

Some info on the Cowboy rifles and scope mounts
http://forums.gunboards.com/showthread.php?t=78601

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=452354

Link Posted: 6/16/2009 5:27:17 AM EDT
[#6]
Res45

Thanks for the links!!  Looks like I'll be on this quest for a while.
I actually have a mount that replaces the rear sight and is very strong. I have a red-dot on it, but at 100yds the dot is roughly "softball" size.
I put an EER scope on it, but the ejected shells banged into the rear bell.
Might suspend my quest til winter... too much fishing to do before ice up.

Mike
Page AK-47 » SKS
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top